Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which is your favorite Clay

The last clay I used a few weeks ago was Gray Ghost fine. The package was quite old (unopened) marked made in japan 2001. It did a fine job, however it was only around 40 degrees outside and it wasn`t what you would call real easy to knead. Dunked in some hot water and it was good to go. Used some car wash soap/water as lube and it definitely cut through grime better than mothers yellow bar. It was on white paint, but it had a light tan film from years of neglect. The lube did not seem to have any ill effects on the gray stuff. Seems to be very durable.

I would love to hear other opinions on this stuff. Anyone else use it?

Post Thanks / Like

what is so tough about making a clay with the properties of the yellow erazer clay?

i mean there are 1,000 different polishes, sealants, waxes, etc, why is there only 1 clay now?

to the OP, I still have some yellow erazer clay from Adams Polishes that I use on my personal vehicles. I use Sonus block (aggressive) clay on customers/friends/families cars. My vehicles will never need an aggressive clay. Although, I cant recall the properties of the block clay off the top of my head, but I dont remember disliking it. I also have Sonus` green fine clay for my personal vehicles when my yellow stuff runs out. I havent used it yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2drtahoez71 View Post
    what is so tough about making a clay with the properties of the yellow erazer clay?

i mean there are 1,000 different polishes, sealants, waxes, etc, why is there only 1 clay now?
    I am curious about that as well. Automagic must have had some great patent lawyers. The feel and texture between the AM and the Erazer clay is obvious, so I would think that the chemical make-up is different as well.

I never fully read why AM won the lawsuit, if someone has that could explain it, it would be appreciated.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

If you want an outstanding yellow clay then here you go....

Griot`s Garage 1-800-345-5789 - Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    ...it`s all claymagic under different lables
    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    If you want an outstanding yellow clay then here you go....[/url]

which part of ALL don`t you get?

Griot`s makes no products of their own they relabel EVERYTHING they sell!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    I am curious about that as well. Automagic must have had some great patent lawyers. The feel and texture between the AM and the Erazer clay is obvious, so I would think that the chemical make-up is different as well.

I never fully read why AM won the lawsuit, if someone has that could explain it, it would be appreciated.

"J"
    From what I read it was not about the composition of the clay itself, but it was the patent on the application of clay on automobiles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Waxer View Post
    From what I read it was not about the composition of the clay itself, but it was the patent on the application of clay on automobiles.
    So does that mean if it was not in a "clay" form, but say a "putty" form ment, for the cleaning of say glass counter tops, that the product could be sold ???

"J"

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    So does that mean if it was not in a "clay" form, but say a "putty" form ment, for the cleaning of say glass counter tops, that the product could be sold ???

"J"
    J ..I have a lot of the court papers as I was involved and was sent a subpoena to testify and as far as i can see it has to do with the use on vehicles ..the patent is 5,727,993 . It also says clay has been around since 1930 and it comes from Japan ...

I believe during all the discussions back then, that modeling clay is about as close as you get, but it`s too harsh for paint finishes. The formulas according to my paperwork can include "conventional compounds comprising an elastomeric resin mixed with abrasives used to remove protrusions, projections, and/or strongly adhered foreign matter from vehicle surfaces" the rest is all
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    J ..I have a lot of the court papers as I was involved and was sent a subpoena to testify ...
    How interesting. So were you called to testify? Which subpoenaed you? How many days were you present? I`m sure as you said a lot of it was , but I`ve found that some of the legal wrangling can be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    How interesting. So were you called to testify? Which subpoenaed you? How many days were you present? I`m sure as you said a lot of it was , but I`ve found that some of the legal wrangling can be interesting.
    It was very boring and Automagic was persuing anyone who had contact with Erazer..only one afternoon and they got little to no useful information from me
    In the words of Sargent Shultz " I see nothing , I know nothing "

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are still looking for the `good` yellow clay in the US... search around and you may be surprised that you can still buy some. Well, it isn`t as easy as you think... but I guess I can say that Stuf Surface Care Products changed hands last year and under that name you may find something you`ll like Yes... it is the good clay too
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

lol, it looks like the clay has taken on a mind of its own and is crawling out of the jar

btw...i cant believe they have complete control over all clay for automotive purposes. Thatd be like one company having control over polishes or waxes. crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2drtahoez71 View Post
    lol, it looks like the clay has taken on a mind of its own and is crawling out of the jar

btw...i cant believe they have complete control over all clay for automotive purposes. Thatd be like one company having control over polishes or waxes. crazy.
    LOL "It`s Alive ..part IV "

...it is crazy that they could get a patent on the process of claying, I could understand a certain make up, but I guess it`s no crazier than drug companies that have the patents on drugs which can cure diseases...thank god they only last so long before the patent can expire and the free market can come into play

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    For those that are still looking for the `good` yellow clay in the US... search around and you may be surprised that you can still buy some. Well, it isn`t as easy as you think........
    I located some "good yellow" before under a different name, but it is pretty expensive. The hint you gave finally turned up some at a more reasonable cost.... but you`re right... it wasn`t very easy to find. Time will tell if my 4 bars ever arrive . Thanks for the tip

I did locate a source for the original yellow Optimum clay, but they never returned my e-mails and I wasn`t too thrilled about giving them my CC info. The place I just located takes PayPal, so all I have to worry about is getting stiffed for the purchase price.

I don`t think that darned 993 patent expires for several years (2013 or 2015?) and who knows how long it will take before the good stuff is made again. Kucala, who made the Erazer clay, was fined pretty hard (4.1 million) in the lawsuit and I`m not sure they even survived.

Sure I could save some $$$ and buy the CM blue, but I`d rather not support that company. Hopefully between my old stash and the few new bars I pick up here and there I`ll get by for a few more years.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the last bar from one company (I had 5 on order- got refund) and then I found some more today- ordered 6 and already got Fed-Ex tracking info. So hopefully these 7 bars will last me a good while. I`ll cut it into 3rds so thats 21 fresh pieces... I`ll try to make it last
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Was this ERAZER product that much better than what is available out there at tthe present? I have Steve`s and some blue from Auto magic. I do like Steve`s better both some what crumbly though and what I feel hard to kneed. Usings PBS Spray and Wipe as lube. Worked well the only time Ive used it on an entire vehicle once I figured out how to use ity. RANDAL

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information