IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Durable wax wanted by customer, and more info wanted???

I am to clean/ detail inside and out a Ford Windstar next monday. It has lots of miles and oxidation ass it sits outside all the time and has not been taken care of. The steps Im planning are wash with PBs super suds (spelling), dry with water blade and waffle weave from PBs. Oxidation removal with either Malco Rejuvinator or PBs SSR1 using green pad on rotary. Seal paint, if I dont have to go back over, with either Malco polymer sealant or NXT. Was thinking about a wax after this such as california gold, NATTY`s, or other waxs I have at the shop. Customer brought up BLUE CORRAL brand of wax that NAPA used to have. I used that a very long ago. He wants durable, hard long lasting wax!!! Any ideas guys and gals? This may lead to doing the clean up for a used car dealer that is about to open if he feels conditions are right. I am going to redo my price list/flyer to figure around $22-$25 per hour including products. This my second parttime job, but I own this one. Info or comments are appreciated. I am using PBs and Malco products along with a few over the counter products. RANDAL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durable wax wanted by customer, and more info wanted???

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL
    I am to clean/ detail inside and out a Ford Windstar next monday. It has lots of miles and oxidation ass it sits outside all the time and has not been taken care of. The steps Im planning are wash with PBs super suds (spelling), dry with water blade and waffle weave from PBs. Oxidation removal with either Malco Rejuvinator or PBs SSR1 using green pad on rotary. Seal paint, if I dont have to go back over, with either Malco polymer sealant or NXT. Was thinking about a wax after this such as california gold, NATTY`s, or other waxs I have at the shop. Customer brought up BLUE CORRAL brand of wax that NAPA used to have. I used that a very long ago. He wants durable, hard long lasting wax!!! Any ideas guys and gals? This may lead to doing the clean up for a used car dealer that is about to open if he feels conditions are right. I am going to redo my price list/flyer to figure around $22-$25 per hour including products. This my second parttime job, but I own this one. Info or comments are appreciated. I am using PBs and Malco products along with a few over the counter products. RANDAL

I`d up selling him on the sealant that`s more durable than carnauba based wax..DP and Collinite (sp) are both high durable waxes but the sealant is what I sell as the long lasting stuff.

What I think this guy is thinking is when he waxed cars with the OTC stuff (blue coral) and got good results so he talking about something that he knows / remembers.

If the job depend on it and you can get additional / steady biz...go buy some blue coral
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I heard waxes and my ears perked up. I am a wax man, and love waxes, argo i have tried a few.
    I know that sealents have been sugested, however there are many things that i think of, such as, Sealents give a diffrent lookt hen a wax, sealents often take more time to cure and haze, and time is money, as well as some people just dont like working with them. The big one being the looks thing.

So if none of these are issues then enjoy your sealent,
    if one or more is an issue lets talk waxes.

There are a few brands that are know for durabilitiy. The two big ones are Collinite. (i have never tried so i cant describe). The seconed being more of a wax then a brand, And thats megs 16, this is unavailable in the united states, however can be bought in canada. Send me a pm if you want more info.
    16 is not VOC complient, so you may have an issue with ussing it. Im not sure what the law entails when it comes to business over personal use.
    I applied 16 to my car well over a month ago, it is still going strong, my paint still feels smooth and is nice and slick, i actully find it slicker then souvergn.
    The only problem is.. i didnt notice anyreal diffrence to the paint. i did a review on it and commented on how the wax didnt do much looks wise. Many say that it gives them an awsome look but I have yet to see this.

There are some choices that are VOC complient and can be purchased in the US.

My favorite is Victoria wax-concours. It is a wowo wax. It may not be the "best" for durability, however i know on my father car (which is driven everyday in calgary) got over 2 months protection before I waxed it. And when i say two months i mean it stilll lookied deep and rich as well as slick.
    Again its only fair to list the cons, one for VW is that it comes from Canada, so you have to import it. As well as its relitivly expensive.

A wax that is relitlivly inexpensive and gives decent resuts in Nattys blue. I have found that it leaves my car protected fro 4-6 weeks ,depending on the weather and driving. It is not great, yet not bad.
    Steve will be able to touch on how long it lasts but these are just my experiences.

One important thing to note is that waxes will not last as long as sealents, however the looks and protection you will get are much diffrent (as im sure you know).
    And honselty most people who get there car detailed will use and automatic car wash a week later, which is death on both wax and sealent.

I thiink you need to find a balance between durability and protection.

I hope this novel has helped, if you need anymore info let me know and i will be more then happy to help out. If i just ranted and wasted your time I am very sorry. I hope that someone can use it.

anyway, good luck with the decsion and let us know how it goes.

Michael
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Mike. More info everyone.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Randal you should be able to get 2-3 months from Natty`s with a good prep.and I`m sure the guy will be more than happy with the shine. You should also be able to get 20-30 cars per jar and since you already have it, you might as well not spend extra money buying more product, at least until he gives you a contract to do his used car lot.
    Calgary you probably clean your car more than the average person on the street so durability for LSP`s may be a bit diminished
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    Calgary you probably clean your car more than the average person on the street so durability for LSP`s may be a bit diminished

NO!, ok ya i do. And like I said these are just my expernces. I dont let any of my cars go that long without even a booster wax such as optimum.
    Also if you have ever been to calgary, its hell on pait.
    But like I said JMHO, take it as it is

posr 1000, proof that I am here WAY TO much
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite is quite durable

Thread Information