Post Thanks / Like

waxing and sealing

So im bored being stuck with the family.. i love them but still a week in a small condo with 6 people is alot of togther time.
    so i was searching some forums (this and others I am a member of). I noticed one thread in which the person waxed and sealed withing minutes of each other (after the sealent was left on the paint to haze as sit).
    I know many people wait for the sealent to sit and cure for 24 hours before applying the wax.
    I am a wax man, as many of you know but i do apply a coat of sealent first to make sure the car is well protected.. just in case.

So i was wondering, how important is it to wait 12 to 24 hours for the sealent to cure before applying a coat of wax?
    How many people wax right after sealning for personal or clients cars due to time or other restrants?
    And finaly, what is the cure time on wax? i know it has been discussed but i always get a diffrent response, so hopefully i can get a more definte time frame, understanding that each wax is diffrent but im sure there is still a general time

Thank you for any info

-Mike
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: waxing and sealing

It is a good rule of thumb to wait 12 - 24 hrs. for either a sealant to dry b4 adding wax and/or the same amount of time b4 adding additional layers.

I find that the wax finish shine has a bit more of a sharper edge if you allow the wax to dry at least one week, but that is according to my tastes.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll throw my view on this subject out there. I personaly believe that one could use a sealant and then a wax right away- but the optimum results won`t be there. The sealant wouldn`t have bonded to the paint at that time = short durability. You could also `smear` the sealant under the wax and have smudges. The only way to remove the smudges is to remove the wax because it is under the wax. Plus it says right on the bottle to wait 12-24 hours for sealants... no need to argue with the manufacturer.

Wax cure time is pretty quick, IMO. It doesn`t need as much time to `bond` to the paint as sealants do. Even with that being said I wouldn`t do more than 2 coats within a few hours though. If you use the spit shine method (using cold OCW for awesome results) I bet you could add as many layers of wax as desired.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with budman ..but if you are bored and you don`t need to worry about long term durability, then go right ahead and put on as much as you like. The worst that could happen is what budman said about a less than perfectly clear optical appearance. That would give you a reason to start all over again, and God only knows that you have enough products to do it
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information