Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Fix What Isn`t Broke????

Interested to see what others think about this. I read about all kinds of products for car care on the net / here. Most all claim to be the best, no surprise there.

My question is if you have found a line or combo that you really like, what makes you go outside that and try new stuff?

I have my go to line (P and really don`t feel like anything is going to produce better ground shaking results.

I have tried some but have come to believe that this is about as good as it gets, or at least for me.

lastly I do realize that this is just a personal opinion of mine and for anyone its there personal preference, as to what they think is the best.

Thanks
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Fix What Isn`t Broke????

I try out alot of different products so that I`m better able to give advice on them from my own personal experience. I also believe that there are certain "stars" in product lines. For some lines it`s polish, some sealant, wax etc etc and I like to try new things too to compare them to my "tried and true" products and see if they truly are better. It is difficult to cut through the hype surrounding products so if something piques my interest or I see alot of people are using it, I`ll buy it to see if it lives up to it`s reputation and also so that I can give better advice to someone else. I have my own personal favorites that I always go to and for the rest of the products, I use them when I detail other peoples` cars.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread! I`m curious to read what other people will write. I know I personally try a lot of products (especially when there`s a sale). I have a set of products I consider my current favorites and those get used on my car. The rest either get traded or used on other people`s cars.

Trying so many products all the time I`ve yet to find one that is perfect. There are so many ways to judge car care products it`s hard to formulate one that excells in each category. LSPs alone can be judged on jetting, reflectivity, depth, durability, flake pop, tightness of beading, etc.

The reason I keep trying products is because everyone I own even my "favorites" fall short in at least one category. So, I keep trying new products to see if I can get closer to the perfect product. Whenever I try something new whether it be a chemical, tool, or technique I look at it in 2 ways . . . does it give me a better result or does it give me the same result in less time or with less effort. If the product can improve my detailing in one of these two ways then it goes to the front of the shelf. Products get better all the time and on ocassion I find one that inches me closer to the "perfect" product (at least perfect for me).

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of my reasons are curiosity about different products.
    Over the years, I have sure tried a lot of them.
    While I tried many different products, I always seemed to go back the the Meguiar`s Professional line. I would try something for a while, then give it away and go back to Meguiar`s. I think I used the Medallion line for about 10 years.
    Mixing products wasn`t something I ever tried until I found an internet detailing site. My first combo was Meg`s Medallion Premium Paint Protectant with 3M Show Car Paste Wax over it. My so called system was Meg`s #9 SMR, Medallion PPP, 3m Show Car Paste. Meguiar`s #34 was my QD although I did buy the consumer QD whenever it was on sale for 1/2 price.
    I saw a vehicle with 4 Star UPP on it over at Autopia back in 2002 and I called Dwayne. He suggested the UPP and Klasse AIO for the cleaner/prep.
    Since that time, #9/KAIO/UPP was my process until recently. If Premium had remained part of the Detail City Store, I most likely would have continued using it for some time. Actually, I still have enough UPP I could use it for a year or two anyway.
    Collinite Insulator Wax became a product I used some and it, too is a good product. One thing I liked about the Collinite is the fact that it doesn`t seem to be any problem to use it over almost anything that may be on the paint when you go to use it. Durability and slickness seemed to be good, too. It might have become my LSP if it didn`t cost as much for shipping as the product. For some reason, that bothered me. I`ll spend $20 for a product with no second thoughts, then be upset with paying $10 shipping for a $10 product.
    The past month, all The Duragloss threads kind of got my attention so I had to try it.
    Maybe I read too much.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Charles, I currently have WG and some XMT polishes, and Natty`s Blue. It will be a while before I order anything else, but I had considered Menzerna cause I like the look and durability of a sealer vs carnuba wax. Then again, WG looks great. However, Meguiar`s may be a better choice and sure would costs less. Would you please recommend some compunds-polishes you like, I get confused by all the choices. I think their #21 sealer would be right for me - agree?

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 3M line for some time and was happy with the results then I found a local supplier with P&S a Calif based producer...he had a huge store front and I could buy in the gallons...what I didn`t care for was his wax and polishes...Once I found DC I started reading about the sponsors lines here...I tried 4 star and a few others, but I hated the shipping costs...Then I made a order with Steve @ PB for some P-w-C and some other products...I was impressed with his products from day one...slowly I have purchased all of his stuff, and to date all my MF towels are his...I have tried a few others things but I always come back to PB...I`ve since got over the shipping costs on some items (S&W )

I should add that I based this off of shine, reflectivity the cars always look brilliant to me and nothing that I have used as made them look any better, that was as easy to use and in the price range

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like both the PB line and the 4S line, and Pinnacle`s Souveran wax.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug
    Mr. Charles, I currently have WG and some XMT polishes, and Natty`s Blue. It will be a while before I order anything else, but I had considered Menzerna cause I like the look and durability of a sealer vs carnuba wax. Then again, WG looks great. However, Meguiar`s may be a better choice and sure would costs less. Would you please recommend some compunds-polishes you like, I get confused by all the choices. I think their #21 sealer would be right for me - agree?
    Meguiar`s definitely has a product line that can be confusing, but unfortunately so do several other manufacturers.
    Their #83 Double Action Cleaner/Polish is a good choice for paint that needs some help.
    The #80 Speed Glaze has become a favorite of mine as well.
    #82 Swirl Free Polish does a decent job if the paint is in pretty good condition to start with.
    The aggressiveness of the above products with the higher number being more aggressive on a scale of 1 to 10..
    #83 - 6 - Sometimes needs to be followed by a less aggressive polish.
    #80 - 4 - Seems to leave the paint ready for the LSP
    #82 = 3 - Also leaves the paint ready for the LSP

I have never used the #21, but it would seem to be a good choice for a sealant in the Meguiar`s line.
    Don`t automatically discount Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax. There is some discussion as to whether it is a wax or a sealant and my feeling is, Who Cares? It does look good and durability seems to be comparable to most waxes. It lasts at least 4 to 6 weeks for me while others have commented on both longer and shorter durbility.
    The quickies for friends or relatives usually get #80 followed by NXT. Quick and easy in two steps. I furnish the #80, they buy the NXT and it is their`s to take with them.

My personal feeling is that In spite of what you may read, you can use any of at least a dozen different product lines and get excellent results.
    Just don`t make it so much work or so intimidating that you don`t enjoy doing it. The best products, (whatever they may be ), are no good if they don`t get used.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve always found the Meg`s line to be so confusing

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like to see if products live up to their hype. I don`t usually allocate a lot of my money for detailing and mostly get products from the profit of detailing vehicles on the side. I do have a pretty good collection though. I also find things that I like and don`t like about certain products and am still trying to find one that I have no problems with.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

"If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it!"

I don`t mind this statement at all and for some areas of detailing, I have to stick with what works (i.e. polishes), however, the one big "no no" I have with this belief is that it usually has a "my product is the best" following. As long as one doesn`t put down products they`ve never tried before, I think it`s all fine and dandy.

It does get to a point where your financial outlay exceeds your results and when that point comes, you find your self cutting back to what works. I used to try everything under the sun until I realized the rest of your life takes a hit due to your habit in finding the strongest sealant or best looking wax...IMO, not worth it.

So yes, stick to what works if it yields the results that please *you*.

Post Thanks / Like

We all suffer from the same affliction.. As to why should you try something else when you have what you like. I have had several that I thought was as good as I would ever find but I keep trying others and most of them bombed out but sometimes you find something that you like better than what you were using. That recently happened to me I had been using the same product for the past two years but I tried something else and I like it much better. I think it looks as good as what i was using but has much longer durability and cost just a fraction of what i was using so I have a new favorite. If you don`t try them it is OK because you won`t know what you are missing and you will be happy with what you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I chased alot of products trying to find the magik shine...my pockets got shallow fast..and my shelves got packed with stuff...now I found what I like and use it..

So if you have what you like..gives you the results that pleases you..the one that is most imprtant to please yourself..Stick with it...

this is a habit like drugs...you look for that euphoria shine...well if it ain`t broke don`t fix it....

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

I came here looking some somthing better that would give me better results than what I was getting and the same still applies.
    If I can find somethng that does better or takes less time or possibly cheaper it`s all for the best.

It also gives the manufacturers something to strive for, why would they bother to come up with new products if everyone was satisfied with what was being currently offered.

JMHO
    "J"

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs95
    I came here looking some somthing better that would give me better results than what I was getting and the same still applies.
    If I can find somethng that does better or takes less time or possibly cheaper it`s all for the best.

It also gives the manufacturers something to strive for, why would they bother to come up with new products if everyone was satisfied with what was being currently offered.
    JMHO
    "J"

Very good point!
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information