Post Thanks / Like

If you were forced to use only OTC products...

Which one`s would you choose? Hopefully this thread can help some of the members that are strapped for cash...like me (since I`m trying to by my 1st home). Thanx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you were forced to use only OTC products...

Quote Originally Posted by BRUHA
    Which one`s would you choose? Hopefully this thread can help some of the members that are strapped for cash...like me (since I`m trying to by my 1st home). Thanx in advance.
    I don`t know that you would have to limit yourself to just one brand when buying over the counter. I also believe you could put down a pretty good shine and have decent albeit not extremely long protection. There are several decent shampoos out there. Meguiar`s Gold Class or NXT would get you by nicely. ClayMagic or Mothers has decent clay products. You can buy several different Meguiar`s professional polishes over the counter, DACP is a good example. Mothers also has some over the counter polishes that work just fine. Lots of different waxes to consider. Meguiar`s NXT, #26 or Gold Class (this one`s my least favorite of the Meg`s), Mothers also has decent waxes. If you`re into sealants DuraGloss has a good line up of product, their waxes are also good products. Towels is a little tougher to find great over the counter but if you shop around there are MF`s to be had. Of course most of supplies like buckets, brushes etc. can be found about anywhere.

Having said all of this I don`t see a compelling reason to buy over the counter unless you just happen to run short. Thinking that you are going to save a few bucks by purchasing OTC isn`t reality though many people believe this to be the case. In many cases there are better products to be had when you start looking at boutique or professional products and the surprising part is that when you put a pencil to it they aren`t that much more expensive and in some cases cost just about the same as OTC. People often get hung up on the shipping costs and if you`re only buying one $12 product there`s probably good reason for concern. Place your orders strategically order several products at a time. Buy with tomorrow in mind and take advantage of site specials and kits. Take into consideration that in many cases you aren`t paying sales tax on your on line purchase and the shipping factor becomes much less of a consideration. When you compare product lines and consider lines such as PoorBoys or the DP lines the price/performance value isn`t even worth looking at OTC products, particularly if you buy in bulk. Do yourself a favor and take a pencil with you next time you go into a Pep Boys or Auto Zone, write down the prices for OTC products bring it back and compare it to the prices offered by Detail City and its sponsors. You`ll likely surprise yourself when you compare the prices.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    ..When you compare product lines and consider lines such as PoorBoys or the DP lines the price/performance value isn`t even worth looking at OTC products, particularly if you buy in bulk. Do yourself a favor and take a pencil with you next time you go into a Pep Boys or Auto Zone, write down the prices for OTC products bring it back and compare it to the prices offered by Detail City and its sponsors. You`ll likely surprise yourself when you compare the prices.
    So true..
    I was gonna get on the bandwagon and give Duragloss a shot, but I don`t know if you can really call that OTC in S. Florida. I finally found a CarQuest that carries it, but I couldn`t bring myself to pay > $7 for a 20 something oz. bottle of AW when I just paid just over $30 for a gallon of OCW (although you can buy a gallon of AW for like $30 too, more to Gearhead`s point).

Paying retail prices for OTC products doesn`t make sense too often when you can get these "boutique" products at $30/gallon.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 105/ AW
    Mothers PowerPolish
    Megs NXT wash
    Mothers FX tire shine
    Viking MF
    Some boutique stuff is reasonably priced but some is overpriced-as with anything make informed purchases. For instance, Zaino looks very expensive but when you compare the amount of product used compared to other products the cost isn`t outrageous.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a gallon of Duragloss AW it cost me $26 per gallon but remember this is very concentrated it was intended to be used on a wet car
    If you spray it on a dry car spread it very thin or dilute with water.
    This week I put Duragloss on my vette and at the show yesterday I won best of show.I"m sold on it. Compared to what I was using it is cheap to buy easy to apply and remove and looks as good as anything on the market.
    I have used the OTC products like NXT #26 FX none of them come close for looks price or durability.

Post Thanks / Like

For OTC products..I use

Duragloss ..shampoo,, sealants 105...AW..111..trim and tire and rim cleaners and protectors......and more...

3M..PI III polishes and machine glaze...gives a awesome finish ...discontinued but stll available...worth getting if you find some...

Meg`s for any medium cut polishes...and paint cleaners

Hi-Temp..I get this OTC at a few shops...there polishes are great....and good sealants also..

Gliptone....shampoo..body gloss spray...

Mothers ...Power polish is nice...FX line is nice..Reflections line is nice..

Menzerna I can get OTC at some body shop supply also..until stock is gone...

be surprised what some OTC products can produce...

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss and or mothers products are hard to beat and they don`t cost you your pay check to buy them. Mike
    #1 Duragloss
    #2 Mothers

Thread Information