Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question #7 over sealant before WAX?

OK so here is where I’m at. My car is currently protected by a sealant. I did this a few months ago along with polish clay and the works. Fast forward a months to today. I need to clay some trouble spots and plan to top with a wax.

My question: Is there any benefit to adding a layer of Meguir’s #7? I guess I want to know will it add to the depth of the wax? Will I have any bonding issues with the current sealant? Do I need to let the #7 cure? If so how long?

Thanks in advance your help

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: #7 over sealant before WAX?

Quote Originally Posted by uflraptor
    OK so here is where I’m at. My car is currently protected by a sealant. I did this a few months ago along with polish clay and the works. Fast forward a months to today. I need to clay some trouble spots and plan to top with a wax.

My question: Is there any benefit to adding a layer of Meguir’s #7? I guess I want to know will it add to the depth of the wax? Will I have any bonding issues with the current sealant? Do I need to let the #7 cure? If so how long?

Thanks in advance your help

Shawn

is #7 a glaze...If so, it goes under a sealant or wax..not over it

Post Thanks / Like

# 7 is a Glaze its a little tricky to work with in the humidity. Put it on take it off don`t wait for it to haze over..

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runnerbl
    is #7 a glaze...If so, it goes under a sealant or wax..not over it
    #7 cannot go under a sealant. It is strictly a beautification product adding oils and fillers to add gloss to the paint and hide imperfections. A sealant will not properly bond to #7. You can use #7 on top of a cured sealant if you wish but #7 needs to be topped with a wax ASAP. It is strictly for looks and therefore adds no protection and will dissipate in full sun in a matter of 1-2 hours. I hope this helps.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen@autogeek
    #7 cannot go under a sealant. It is strictly a beautification product adding oils and fillers to add gloss to the paint and hide imperfections. A sealant will not properly bond to #7. You can use #7 on top of a cured sealant if you wish but #7 needs to be topped with a wax ASAP. It is strictly for looks and therefore adds no protection and will dissipate in full sun in a matter of 1-2 hours. I hope this helps.

I have always been told that it is glaze then sealant/wax....So are you saying that you dont put a sealant over top of clearkote VM glaze?

Post Thanks / Like

This topic comes up all the time and rightly so because the word "glaze" has no clear parameters to define it. There are glazes that have oils and fillers, some have cleaners, some have abrasives. My best advice is to read the product labels carefully and see what the manufacturer says the product will do for you. That will give you better clues as to how you can use it. VM and RMG and Wolfgang can be topped with a sealant, but #7 and XMT cannot. If in doubt the best plan is to ask the manufacturer about it before you buy to make sure that you can use the glaze in the way that you want to use it. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen@autogeek
    This topic comes up all the time and rightly so because the word "glaze" has no clear parameters to define it. There are glazes that have oils and fillers, some have cleaners, some have abrasives. My best advice is to read the product labels carefully and see what the manufacturer says the product will do for you. That will give you better clues as to how you can use it. VM and RMG and Wolfgang can be topped with a sealant, but #7 and XMT cannot. If in doubt the best plan is to ask the manufacturer about it before you buy to make sure that you can use the glaze in the way that you want to use it. I hope this helps.

Thanks Jen...At least I wasn`t all the way crazy. I haven`t had any problem with bonding but I haven`t used #7...Bad to assume that all glazes are equal...Learn something everyday...

Post Thanks / Like

You`re welcome honey. Glad I could help. You can still use your #7, just keep in mind that it has to go over a cured sealant and under a carnauba.

Post Thanks / Like

#7 can be topped with a sealant. In fact Meguiars says you can use any of their sealants with #7, including #20, #21 and NXT.

Post Thanks / Like

where do they say that?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t heard that, but I am certainly no expert on Meguiar`s products either. That is why I say to talk to the manufacturer if in doubt. It may be possible to use the #7 under a sealant of the same line since the products are forumulated to work as a system, but I know I would hesitate to use #7 under any non-Meguiar`s sealant. I would call Meguiar`s to find out the definitive answer.

Post Thanks / Like

All Meguiar`s products are formulated to work as a system. You can use any of their LSP`s over #7. Now whether or not the durability will suffer--that is something that you will have to test and let us know. This is a common question on MOL, you can check there or call for your definitive answer.

BTW, hi all--long time no see.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I joined MOL this week and started reading their commercial - opps, I mean Forum. OK, it`s their house and I`m just a guest, but with all the products they have (talking Pro line, not that walmart stuff) it`s confusing - If you look at DG, WG, PB, Zaino, XMT etc - they all kinda have a logical order to them, I`d love to use Meg`s since I can go by the paint store and buy local - but, hey I can do that with DG and save $. I`m the kind of simple minded guy that doesn`t need 15 variables when it comes to detailing cars. Currently I have WG, some XMT and Megs 84,85,1 and 7 and of those - the Meg`s are the ones I have to wonder whether to get 21 as a LSP or just use the compounds til gone, the 7 - I`m guessing will be ok if I use NXT (hey didn`t we all buy some at one time!)

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel you need/want to use something like Meg`s #7, checkout Meg`s #81 Hand Polish. Very similar results and much, much easier to work with.
    (Did I mention that the #81 is easier to work with?)
    My experience with #7 has not been such that I will use it again.

Just my opinion, but with good prep, you probably don`t need that extra step.

I did a friend`s black Saturn Vue with some parking lot scrapes and it cleaned up great with just Meguiar`s #80 followed by Meg`s NXT Tech Wax.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Charles - I read the hype on #7 on the description and got hooked. While I like to learn, I kinda fear trying that now. I`ll give Meg`s one thing, that #84 is good stuff. I`ve got more than enough stuff to last for a while and I still need to do a few more cars to break even - But, I`m keeping my eyes wide open for what the replacements will be. So far, I have to say I much rather use sealers than carnuba waxes, I love WG sealer, I will probably go the DG route, but I`m curious about their compound/polish - haven`t heard that much. Menzerna gets high marks 99% of the time on every forum, but they are mighty proud of that stuff if you get my drift. 3M - why is that never mentioned? Every bodyshop you go in has 3M this and 3M that - why is no one talking about that? I`m the detailer that wants to do a great job on every car, one that will last, I`m not concerned with hand rubbing 23 coats of goats wax on my trailer queen show car. Those guys are a breed apart from me, I try to get the daily drive to look show room fresh, but not take it to the extreme - like that oold dude in the Stephen King movie Christine - you can`t polish a turd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information