Post Thanks / Like

Question First detail with new car

Well I recently purchased an 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser(Black Cherry Pearl), but I also just moved into my new apartment for school. I dont want to buy a PC because I don`t feel I need one yet, plus I dont have anywhere to use it(No plugs outside). My car will be parked outside, but underneath a car port so it will still receive some sort of protection from the elements.

I`ve already got 303 and some Sonus Vision & IG for the interior and windows. I`ll by claying it to with Clay Magic, my real question are regarding some sealants. I want to go with a Klasse AIO base. I`ve heard lots of good stuff about Klasse, but now with this new VOC compliance I hear it`s not as good anymore. Any suggestions on this? Remember this is a new car so there is very little wrong with it, some hairline scratches from stupid dealership.

To top the AIO I`m debating between lots and haven`t really found a straight answer. I want something that will be durable, but not look bland. I`ve heard SG is durable, but looks very sterile and not that great. So i`m looking at others with more depth to them for my black cherry.
    - UPP (what is the difference between Platinum UPP and 4* UPP?)
    - Collinite 476 ( I hear this is very durable)
    - DP Premium Surface Shield
    - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant

I`ll be S&W it often, then I might top with AW after that. AW seems to be a quick and easy polymer that looks good.

Thanks in advance for any input.

WaffleWeed
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First detail with new car

hey kaiten,

Klasse AIO is good but apply that before the sealant. It goes like this, for your LSP apply klasse aio, then a sealant of your choice, wait 24hrs for the sealant to cure and apply carnuba paste wax or another layer of sealant.

ive use 4* UPP and it works really good. ive also heard great news about the wolfgang deep gloss and have yet to try this.

if you want a good paste wax for the best bang of the buck, check out nattys blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, well I picked up a little of lots of stuff. Another member was selling some 4* UPP, PUPP, KSG, and CG Extremem Top Coat. So i`m gonna give all these a try for now over a base of KAIO. Hopefully I can find some Collinite soon, because I hear it`s extremely durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Another FJ Cruiser!!!! Woo Hoo. I got one myself right when they first came out. Black Diamond with 4WD, and up. The only thing I have done to it is wash it with the 2 bucket method and a foam gun. About a week after I got it it got keyed and I havent had a chance to work the paint since it got repainted. It could use a good buffing. I do love the vehicle. Let me know how well you like it.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who don`t know how to build engines" Enzo Ferrari

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: First detail with new car

Congrats on the new ride! I think you`ll be really pleased using the Collinite. I have 2 coats of the 845 Insulator Wax on my `07 Yaris Hatchback and it`s simply the best stuff I`ve ever used! I`m certain you can find the Collinite your looking for by doing a google search. Best of luck!
    Regards,
    Mustang05

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys.

kasperj - Yea I absolutely love the car, constantly getting looks in it. Hopefully I`ll be taking it off roading tomorrow with some friends for the first time.

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kasperj
    Another FJ Cruiser!!!! Woo Hoo. I got one myself right when they first came out. Black Diamond with 4WD, and up. The only thing I have done to it is wash it with the 2 bucket method and a foam gun. About a week after I got it it got keyed and I havent had a chance to work the paint since it got repainted. It could use a good buffing. I do love the vehicle. Let me know how well you like it.

Man, that sucks that you got keyed!! I can just imagine how you felt when you saw that. So sorry man! Did you ever find out who did it?
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve noticed that everyone says you should wait 24 or hours btw coats of sealant or wax. My questions is what is you do not have a garage and the vehicle sits outside all day. What prep should be done b4 applying the next coat of whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bimmernupe07
    I`ve noticed that everyone says you should wait 24 or hours btw coats of sealant or wax. My questions is what is you do not have a garage and the vehicle sits outside all day. What prep should be done b4 applying the next coat of whatever.
    Wash or atleast a S&W. Make sure it is absolutly clean... whatever is on the paint could scratch it or if you had a fingerprint you might wax over it and then it`d be under the wax.

As for the original topic... AIO, SG and then OCW or AW every wash or so and you`d have great looks and durability. Not sure about the durability of WG yet but that looks great on dark paint. Well, UPP does too.

Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection is the old 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection I believe... just a change of name.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

First budman I want to say kudos and thanks for making a noob feel extremely welcome here @ DC. I using S100 should I use anything to help even out the shine or does it have a even look after buffing off.

Post Thanks / Like

S100 is extremly easy to use. Apply it to a whole panel (hood, fender, door) and then remove with a towel. You should apply it so you can barely see the wax on the paint... any more and it could be hard to remove or just a wast of product I use the black foam that came with the wax as an applicator. Good luck.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Budman, I also use the s100 applicator. It`s sweet, do they sell these separately?

Thread Information