Post Thanks / Like

Any opinions on this type of approach to chip repair?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any opinions on this type of approach to chip repair?

Do we have anything like this in this country, USA?

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Colorchip.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see definite differences between the two, one being price. I like that you can apply the product like a wax and your not having to chase individual chips.

Post Thanks / Like

You`re losing me here--I watched the video, that just seemed to be a random YouTube detailer smearing black touchup paint into chips/scratches, not someone selling anything. Dr. Colorchip is of course a company selling a product/system. If it was possible to find it and the video still worked (or maybe it was stills) GSRStilez (Sean Busch) filled a scratch on the hood of a car he was working on, sanded and rotary polished it out, just like your YouTuber...15+ years ago on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure if this is the thread, because of the combined forums some of his posts are under G35Stilez, and some under stilez: 2005 TL: "My son took the snow off with a steel shovel"

FWIW, you can use the Dr. Colorchip method without the Dr. Colorchip paint, I bought some of the squeegees from them with the intent of using them to level out blobs...not sure if have done that yet, been a while since I have touched up a chip, although I have one staring at me, but I think my touchup dried up, frigging plastic bottles from paintscratch.com

If anyone ever wonders whatever happened to our intrepid detailer turned pharma sales rep, I believe this is him: About Us | Puracy

Post Thanks / Like

I had wondered about him. Last I heard he moved to TX? If that’s him as a pharma sales rep, sounds like he’s doing very well!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I had wondered about him. Last I heard he moved to TX? If that’s him as a pharma sales rep, sounds like he’s doing very well!
    I`ve seen a bunch of his videos and his work impressed me. I didn`t know he moved to the states. I will haveto talk to him about what he`s paying for the product as it looks to be more economical than the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    He had moved to TX to work for Novartis (I'm bringin' sexy back, Saab/Lexus/Range Rover, for the last time for a while ) , but it appears later he started his own company, which it looks like he sold a few years ago ( BRANDED Acquires Puracy, a Leading Plant-Based Household Cleaning and Personal Care Brand )...so I`d say he`s doing very well. I always credit him for being the detailer who started the picture-heavy detail, followed of course by Todd Helme, I believe they teamed up to detail some cars up here in the northeast in one of those big parking garages for collectors to rent space in for their cars. Both experts with rotaries as you had to be in the day in order to really correct anything.

I met him at one of those Poorboy`s detailing days, he was there with his gf now wife, apparently. Autopian Self Portraits - v. 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I`ve seen a bunch of his videos and his work impressed me. I didn`t know he moved to the states. I will haveto talk to him about what he`s paying for the product as it looks to be more economical than the competition.
    I think I confused you, Sean Busch used to post here at Autopia, as GSRstilez, then G35stilez (new car), I`m just saying I saw him use the same technique as your guy, a lotta years ago, and posted something about what he`s doing now. Sorry if I threadjacked you.

Post Thanks / Like

What always surprises me about these quick repairs is they don`t show the paint shrinking. As we all know, touch-up paint shrinks a lot when it dries, so anything that quickly levels it before it dries, won`t look great when finally dried. That`s why I like the langka system, you level dried paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    What always surprises me about these quick repairs is they don`t show the paint shrinking. As we all know, touch-up paint shrinks a lot when it dries, so anything that quickly levels it before it dries, won`t look great when finally dried. That`s why I like the langka system, you level dried paint.
    I guess the thing about Dr. Colorchip (going from memory) is that like in that video, you`re kind of filling a lot of chips all at once. IIRC with the Dr. Colorchip, you aren`t going over the whole panel with a rotary and thinning the clear on the whole panel, however. With the Langka, you`re filling one chip at a time, which is fine if you`ve only got 1 or a few chips, when the bumper is all road-rashed like in the video that`s going to take a lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I guess the thing about Dr. Colorchip (going from memory) is that like in that video, you`re kind of filling a lot of chips all at once. IIRC with the Dr. Colorchip, you aren`t going over the whole panel with a rotary and thinning the clear on the whole panel, however. With the Langka, you`re filling one chip at a time, which is fine if you`ve only got 1 or a few chips, when the bumper is all road-rashed like in the video that`s going to take a lot of time.
    No disagreement there, doing a whole bumper would be miserable. Repainting is really the most time efficient if you have the resources.

Post Thanks / Like

I quickly looked at this video a while ago. I had a question. Why did he smear paint all over the place? were there many areas to fix? I would have only covered the few big chips and only "attacked" those areas. Any comments ?

Thread Information