Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish/polishers, time to up my game. Let’s talk

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Sounds like gobbledygook. Oscillating orbit = rotation

The ppl that make claims like this spend very little time behind a buffing wheel is my take from this
    Maybe you know more about Jason Rose and his background than I do.

Seemed like he was respected in the industry.

I may not be using the right terminology. The dual action polisher rotates and oscillates. Those two things are not the same thing. I mean it`s in the name "dual action".

Jason may not be right but I have no reason to doubt him and my credentials don`t come close to his. He is selling stuff so it is possible it is BS.
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Maybe you know more about Jason Rose and his background than I do.

Seemed like he was respected in the industry.

I may not be using the right terminology. The dual action polisher rotates and oscillates. Those two things are not the same thing. I mean it`s in the name "dual action".

Jason may not be right but I have no reason to doubt him and my credentials don`t come close to his. He is selling stuff so it is possible it is BS.

Orbit means to travel in circles (rotation). It`s right here in the Merriam dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/orbit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    I’m gonna buy some rupes new da pads. Good for long throw, or forced. Getting 5” for now so,they will work with my current machine. Still deciding on what machine.

‘’so now the question is what compounds to buy, and what pads, and how many?

do I need corse and fine compound? Coarse and fine pads? Wool pads? (Rupes brand)

and I’m still confused. If rotation does the correcting then why sell random? Just sell forced. Rupes says orbit is like 75% or more of,the correcting and rotation isn’t as important, BUT very good point about new cars and bodywork gets done with rotary.

so confusing
    Random orbital (egg shaped) polishers were designed because rotary polishers leave swirl marks and burn paint (easier). Forced rotation machines came around years later because random orbitals weak point are that they stall when too much pressure was applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Orbit IS (circular) rotation. If the machine isn`t spinning your not going to get much correction.

Can you point me to the article where rupes is claiming this?

i,thought of that too….. explain,rotary if rotation,isn’t needed…….

but look,through some of the rupes YouTube,videos, specifically the webinar series. The video “differences between gear driven, random, and rotary” they explain pros and cons.

i,don’t,remember specifics, but,I remember that oscillation provided “most” of the cut

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like gobbledygook. Oscillating orbit = rotation

The ppl that make claims like this spend very little time behind a buffing wheel is my take from this
    bad penney --

Well, perhaps they have lots of experience behind a direct drive machine or not, but now, they are -Selling- this new machine and may even work for the Company..

To me, the - 70 - years at a minimum, that Rotary Power has been correcting paint, and is Still doing it today at the manufacturing level, says something, no??

And to think if were not for Porter Cable to make a Sander way, way, back when, where would the random orbital machine for Detailing be today??

I am glad that all the random orbitals are here so more people can try them out and do their own version of Detailing their vehicles.. The more the merrier !

Yes, it will take longer to master the Rotary, but it is not impossible, and only if it is used incorrectly does it leave holograms, swirls, etc., in any paintwork..

If the defects are -Left- in the paintwork, it is the Detailer who chose to ignore they were in the paintwork (and remove them) who is to blame for this, not the machine..

This little discussion between the two will probably never go away, and I am ok with that too.. It just does not have to be a Contest, like I win, you lose..
    Dan F
    Likes jem7sk liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    i,thought of that too….. explain,rotary if rotation,isn’t needed…….

but look,through some of the rupes YouTube,videos, specifically the webinar series. The video “differences between gear driven, random, and rotary” they explain pros and cons.

i,don’t,remember specifics, but,I remember that oscillation provided “most” of the cut
    Oscillation -
    noun
    movement back and forth at a regular speed.
    "the natural oscillation of a spring"

I have not seen that Webinar.. But you have to just remember that if it is sponsored by people who do NOT make Rotary machines, well, then who would they be rooting for ?

It is All good !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll be that guy and say that this topic shouldn`t be so complicated, unless it changes what you intend to purchase or use in a certain setting.

I`ve always viewed rotary polishers (to include a simple corded drill with a 3" pad attachment) as a generally more focused, deliberate and aggressive approach to surface correction. Meaning, you typically start with it and expect to accomplish its core function in the name of efficiency or bulk-area correction...knowing there`s more to do in the way of technique after.

The D/A (to me) has always been what a professional follows-up with, if fortunate enough to own and fully-utilize a common rotary polisher (e.g., Makita, Dewalt, etc.).

The part where I feel many get on tangents with these tools has to do with the proliferation of varying-spec D/A polishers available (such as 8/12/15/21mm-throw, and gear-driven). If you only have a Porter XP with that 8mm throw, then it is hopefully regarded as a compromised `everything` tool in your correction process. That`s coming from someone who used that very tool for 5 years before adding to the arsenal.

Historically/typically-speaking, if you don`t/didn`t have the budget, experience or requisite workload to get a rotary and complimentary D/A, then you had to master that rotary...or plan to take longer with that 8mm D/A with your correction. Nowadays, you can find a 15mm D/A that skirts that fine line between most tools and their general function. But that doesn`t make it the best tool; it just complicates the discussion.

I think the best investment these days is to understand the capability, efficiency and drawback of a given tool...paired with a given compound, applied to a given project`s substrate. If I had the money, I`d buy an UDOS and call it a day. You will always find someone like Brian at Apex or Sandro at CCAD who can deliver 99% perfection with any given tool...but that person has the miles and commitment in deep reserves to weigh all factors when employing that tool.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information