Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hands on experience with Ravenol Auto-Shampoo

Ravenol Auto-Shampoo

Product description (adapted from manufacturer website):

Ravenol Auto-Shampoo cleans intensively with active cleaning agents. Provides a moisturizing effect and remains mild for paint and hands. Ravenol Auto-Shampoo is free of AOX. No impairment of oil separators.

Claim (found on product website):
    - Thoroughly Cleans
    - Will Not Remove Wax
    - Will Not Dull Paint
    - Removes Bugs
    - Environmentally Friendly
    - Contains No AOX Harsh Chemicals
    - Made in Germany

Details:
    1. Packaging: 1, 5, 10 or 30 liter white plastic bottle / jug
    2. Directions:
    Depending on the type of pollution put 1-2 caps Ravenol Auto-Shampoo into a 10 liter bucket with water and foam. Clean the vehicle with a soft sponge and a lot of liquid washing. Then rinse with clear water and rub down, if necessary.
    Shake container before use!
    3. Color: Clear, yellow
    4. Scent: I cannot detect any scent
    5. Price: €2.63, €14.25, €17.95
    6. Cost: At recommended usage of 50ml per wash, this bottle could get you up to 20 washes, which gives €0.0526 per wash.
    7: Manufacturer: Ravensberger Schmierstoffvertried GmbH
    8: Made in: Germany
    9: Warranty: No warranty or satisfaction guarantee seen.

Additional Products used:
    1. 2 generic water buckets
    2. 2 Grit Guards
    3. Microfiber wash mitts
    4. Microfiber drying towels
    5. Brushes

Environmental Conditions:
    16*C / 60.8F
    ~80% RH

Before & After comparison.
    I used about 20L of water in my Lowes bucket, so I measured about 100ml of shampoo. Note that my car is rather dirty in the background.

Plenty of suds can be produced. But we have seen soaps that give thicker or more luxurious suds.

I live in an apartment so I could only do some the pre-soak with a foaming sprayer.

Lubricity and cleaning power is mediocre. My hands did not dry out so I suppose it is mild on your paint as well.

This photo was taken when I was drying. I think Auto-Shampoo adds gloss or maybe helps water sheeting but I do not notice protection.

It is easy to dry after wash with no noticeable streaks on glass or paint.

Pros:
    +1 Inexpensive
    +2 Do not dry hands out.
    +3 Good suds

Cons:
    -1 I wish it has more lubricity and cleaning power

???:
    1. Is this product discontinued? It is out of stock everywhere.

Conclusion:
    If P21s Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo and Sonax Gloss Shampoo could give birth to a new shampoo, it may very well be the Ravenol Auto-Shampoo. Ravenol has a similar bottle to P21s, and same yellow look as Sonax.

I have been curious about the results when an engine oil manufacturer tries to make a shampoo. A fraction of price, but also at a fraction of performance. The P21s has a fresh fruity scent that is more attractive to me, whereas Sonax has beats Ravenol in lubricity, cleaning power and suds. Ravenol seems to be a watered-down variant.

During testing I actually asked myself if I double the dose would Ravenol Auto-Shampoo catch up? So I tried. 2 more caps into the bucket. Apart from more suds I did not notice a difference. Ravenol is a shampoo of acceptable quality but there is no need for a change if you are using shampoo sold here.

Score:
    Build quality: ★★★☆☆
    Performance: ★★★☆☆
    Value: ★★★★☆
    User friendliness: ★★★★☆
    Overall: 3.5/5
    Acceptable
    I have no affiliation with retailer or manufacturer. Becasue if I do, I will say it is full score and best on Earth.
    Hope you have enjoyed the review. Questions and comments welcomed.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Likes Oneheadlite, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hands on experience with Ravenol Auto-Shampoo

PPld:
    Excellent review and photography!
    Since you posted the cost in Euro`s, and the label is in German (other than the "Made in Germany" signage) and it is your Arbath (Alfa -Romeo?) vehicle, I assume this post was done somewhere in Europe.

Is this product line available in the the United States?? I ask because it is difficult for us "American Autopians" to relate to detailing products that are only available overseas and are not able to be imported into the United States for a variety of reasons, such as not having any United States government Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) -compliant Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) testing results published.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lonnie for your kind words. Abarth is a model of Fiat, however my car is Made in Japan by Mazda and based on the MX-5 Miata ND.

Yes last I checked, this shampoo was available in USA through a Ravenol web distributor called Blauparts. I have seen it on Amazon as well.
    For OSHA requirements or MSDS, you might want to give the distributor a call.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

PPLd:
    Nice Fiat/Miata. I assume, then, you have the Fiat 1.4 L Turbo?

If this soap is distributed and sold in the USA, then it does have the MSDS paperwork required by OSHA. Chemical products cannot be sold in the USA without it.

- Contains No AOX Harsh Chemicals
    Not sure what that means, if this soap has no chemicals that are bad heath-wise (skin irritants) or for the environment.
    All I want is a car wash soap that cleans Road Traffic Film (RTF) off my vehicle, works well in hard-mineralized water, and rinses clean without leaving streaks or soap residue on the windows or paint.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. Nice to see this kind of products on here. Ravenol car care products are really cheap in my country, but not really wide spread. I`ve used the wheel cleaner a long time ago and didn`t find it to be anything worth mentioning.

How do you wash in that parking? Do you acces to free flowing water? No issues with neighboring cars?
    I`m in a similar situation and currently use rinseless washes but always looking for different ways to wash my car.

Thread Information