Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant Review

I recently had got a chance to try out Wolfgang`s new SiO2 Paint Sealant thanks to the good folks at AG. My neighbor`s 2017 Porsche Cayenne S is a fantastic canvas to show off this new sealant.

For years I’ve listened to people rave about an older product from this brand Wolfgang`s Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I never tried it out because, well…I’m a bit cheap. I used other reputable, less costly sealants, but now it’s plainly obvious I’ve really missed out, because if the older product is as good as this new one, it too is amazing.

Applying the sealant is a breeze. Whether by hand or with the polisher, it spreads easily without any drama. Removal is where I was really blown away and I’m pretty certain I reflexively muttered something out loud. Other sealants I’ve applied required some effort to remove and buff out. This work is typically done by hand, so I psyched myself up for quite a bit of work to remove the excess sealant from this Cayenne.

Turns out, this sealant is the easiest product I’ve ever removed. It was nearly effortless. A light swipe of a soft microfiber towel was all it took to remove any excess residue. Buffing out the entire vehicle only took around 20 minutes, less than half what I expected. I did learn one lesson: the product information states the sealant should sit for 20 minutes before being removed. Due to high humidity, I found I had to extend that window to around 30 minutes. Not a big deal. Try to remove it too early and it’s a little sticky.

With the sealant buffing complete it was time to pull the Porsche out of my garage and into the sun. I’ll let the following pictures speak for themselves. Needless to say I was seriously impressed! The shine is amazing and it is really slick to the touch.

On a polished out vehicle, the results are stunning!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes The Guz, Tc99m, Coleroad, tom p. liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant Review

Nice looking Porsche! That paint is like a pond on a calm day. Great work, great review!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing I don`t get about Wolfgang is why they have a SIO2 sealant and a Ceramic spray Coating. Both seem similar in nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    The thing I don`t get about Wolfgang is why they have a SIO2 sealant and a Ceramic spray Coating. Both seem similar in nature.
    I’m sure the end results somewhat same. Just a sio2 sealant will apply to most and spray coating to the coating crowd.

The Porsche looks great though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Recently tried WG SIO2 . Having been a fan of the WG Deep Gloss Sealant, I had to try this one. I waited for a 25% off sale to buy it. It performed exactly as you said.....easy on, super easy off. Outstanding gloss and very slick....not Bead Maker or Speed slick, but very slick. What impressed me is the `ceramic like` self cleaning properties. It is a little on the expensive side.....but some things cost more for a good reason....they`re worth it

Post Thanks / Like

My gut tells me that the sealant has more polymers and therefore may protect better against certain contaminants or etchings in some environments (bird bombs, water spots). Though I haven’t seen any protection issues with either of them, this is just my hunch about the sealant (and Ceramic waxes). Could be wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that as well. There isn`t much in the product copy to help answer this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’m sure the end results somewhat same. Just a sio2 sealant will apply to most and spray coating to the coating crowd.

The Porsche looks great though

I wonder if the difference is in durability? It seems some of the spray coatings which are designed to be used as either a stand-alone or coating topper/extender seem to have durability in the 1~2 month range while the bottle sealant seems to be a traditional sealant which should last six months-ish. Don`t know. Hard to say without any testing.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    It is a little on the expensive side.....but some things cost more for a good reason....they`re worth it
    My wife continually reminds me of this for many things in life when I go cheap and then later find something which works better/meets expectations better. I should have gone with the more expensive item from the beginning...

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant Review

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I wonder if the difference is in durability? It seems some of the spray coatings which are designed to be used as either a stand-alone or coating topper/extender seem to have durability in the 1~2 month range while the bottle sealant seems to be a traditional sealant which should last six months-ish. Don`t know. Hard to say without any testing.

Most stand alone toppers I have used last between 3-6 months that I have use. These are basically sealants that add Sio2 to them from my understanding.

The Wolfgang spray coating is a coating lite. Not a sealant/topper product. Most have a 6 month life per manufacturer but most i’ve used get more.

Usually Around a year of protection with Cancoat, Moonlight and Car pros light.

I’m only saying comparable as good sealants usually last 6 months and at minimum the coating should last 6. If truly like other coating lites then it should blow the sio2 sealant out the water in terms of durability.

So far what i get from the reviews i read the Sio2 sealant is a top tier product and the coating not so much. Subscribed to some threads about coating and waiting durability tests

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t realize the spay coating was in the same class as something like CanCoat. I thought it was more like a shorter lived topper.

There are so many products around now which claim to be a "coating" it`s hard to define them.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Take this with a grain of salt, I`m not a chemist but I saw a video where someone claimed that real coatings are sold in glass bottles due to the solvents. If it`s in a plastic bottle it would probably fall into the light coating category. How durable they are is hard to determine if you use a SIO2 detail spray. Theoretically they could last forever.
    Likes J. Martin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t realize the spay coating was in the same class as something like CanCoat. I thought it was more like a shorter lived topper.

There are so many products around now which claim to be a "coating" it`s hard to define them.
    WG CSC is marketed as a coating lite, which would put it in the Cancoat area, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare them, they are totally different. Cancoat is a beast, apply 1 or 2 coats and dont use again for 8+ months. WG CSC is incredibly easy to apply and doing so every month or two, getting a buildup going is advantageous.

Both can probably make a lot of people happy as long as the user understands the strong points of each. I got kind of poor behavior out of WG CSC when applied at around 60deg F in the spring (maybe one of the examples Coatings=crack was referring to above), but a latest test area looks better... maybe it appreciates hot temperatures.

But either way, these two do not hold much in common from application or performance perspective in my opinion.

Below are links on this topic:
    Gyeon Cancoat vs Wolfgang Ceramic Spray Coating
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating - First Impressions Video (posts 27, 28).
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Post Thanks / Like

Take this with a grain of salt, I`m not a chemist but I saw a video where someone claimed that real coatings are sold in glass bottles due to the solvents. If it`s in a plastic bottle it would probably fall into the light coating category. How durable they are is hard to determine if you use a SIO2 detail spray. Theoretically they could last forever.
    Bottle construction isn`t a very good indicator of durability. While many of the high durability coatings do come in glass bottles, the original DP and McKee`s 37 coatings along with the one from Pinnacle Black Label all came in 4oz plastic spray bottles. I saw two years of durability from the McKee`s coating, and I think the PBL was capable of lasting just as long. For a while some were also sold in plastic syringes too! Gyeon breaks that mold as well for lite coatings; CanCoat is packaged in an aluminum bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    WG CSC is marketed as a coating lite, which would put it in the Cancoat area, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare them, they are totally different. Cancoat is a beast, apply 1 or 2 coats and dont use again for 8+ months. WG CSC is incredibly easy to apply and doing so every month or two, getting a buildup going is advantageous.

Agree on the CanCoat. I`m going on 10 months now and it`s still going strong despite last winter being pretty wet and snowy. I may never see the end of it since I`m already thinking about polishing it off and trying something new this fall.

I`m assuming you had to wash and then prep-spray the surface each time you put down another later of the WG CSC. I`m probably too lazy to do that every couple months in order to build up a good base of product. I`m rather fond of doing a heavy detail once and then simply keeping it clean until the LSP wears out with the least amount of effort!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m assuming you had to wash and then prep-spray the surface each time you put down another later of the WG CSC. I`m probably too lazy to do that every couple months in order to build up a good base of product. I`m rather fond of doing a heavy detail once and then simply keeping it clean until the LSP wears out with the least amount of effort![/COLOR]
    No, I wouldn’t bother re-prepping after the initial application(s). I would just wash with glossless soap and reapply as needed until the surface seemed contaminated enough to warrant Iron-x, coating prep soap, or complete redo. Sure, a defect free surface probably yields the best performance but there are a ton of applications in one bottle. I wouldn’t have any regrets about using regularly to build itself up. I would even try it as a drying aid given there’s so many applications in the bottle... not much to lose, a lot to gain.

But regardless, if you’re a set it and forget it person and you don’t enjoy touching the car regularly, Cancoat is probably best, short of a true coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- What prep did you do prior to applying the SiO2 Paint Sealant?

I get that it`s very user-friendly, but what other reasons would somebody (say...who`s already satisfied with his current LSP) have to switch to it?

I`m just curious, not being critical at all...wondering what makes this product worth buying?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- What prep did you do prior to applying the SiO2 Paint Sealant?
    Here is the full story. https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...or-detail.html This sealant was the end of an exterior detail I performed on the vehicle. I polished the entire thing out first. After polishing, I did a panel wipe with CarPro Eraser as directed by the product directions.

I get that it`s very user-friendly, but what other reasons would somebody (say...who`s already satisfied with his current LSP) have to switch to it?

I`m just curious, not being critical at all...wondering what makes this product worth buying?
    Fully understand. I probably could have gone a bit further regarding why I liked it.

Two things really stood out to me with this sealant.

1. The shine. It is really really incredible. I would put it way ahead of other sealants I`ve used like Klasse SG and 845 and like no other sealant I`ve ever tried. While it was really glossy/reflective I wouldn`t call it candy-coat glassy like a coating. It is something else entirely. From my experience, some sealants and waxes which give you a deep wet look tend to mute the metal flake, this did not do that. Until I used this sealant, CQuartz UK and CanCoat (in that order) were my favorite two LSPs from an appearance standpoint. Now, I`d demote CQuartz to third place and put this sealant in a photo-finish second place right behind CanCoat.

2. Easy of use. I can`t emphasize the user friendliness of the application enough. I`ve never applied/removed any LSP like this. If it wasn`t for the drying time and the high humidity I could have sealed the entire vehicle in roughly 45 minutes and that is buffing it out by hand! A DA makes application a breeze, and wipe off was the easiest of anything I have ever applied to paint...QD spray, polish, compound, sealant, wax, etc. Nothing has ever removed this easy. I applied this sealant at the end of a 10~11 hour detail in suffocating heat and humidity and I almost started laughing out loud like the incoherent fool I was at the time. Lightly running an MF towel over the surface was all it took. I literally buffed out the entire SUV in 15~20 minutes without going all that fast or expending much effort.

I`ve used coatings on my family fleet of vehicles for the better part of 5~6 years. I love coatings and never thought I`d go back to sealants. I really have no reason to. However, after using this Wolfgang sealant on my neighbor`s car I am seriously considering giving this a try this on my personal car (also black) in the Fall when I finally remove the CanCoat that has been on there for a year. If nothing else it will give me the opportunity to see how it performs first hand and do my own durability testing over the winter. Just writing about it now makes me like the idea even more... Nothing else has made me even consider not applying another coating.

I don`t want to sound like a shill since AG provided me a bottle to test out, but I really liked it that much. I`m naturally a skeptic and pretty cynical, but this stuff did bring a smile to my face. That rarely happens.
    Likes Coatings=crack, The Guz liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information