Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

P&S Brake Buster Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner(first use)

I prefer not to say bad things about products, I like to find and post details about good products that we Autopians can use and get great results, unfortunately P&S Brake Buster is not one of them. I read some good reviews over on “the Dark Side” about Brake Buster and at $7.99 a bottle and it sounded good, nope. I should have taken pictures but a wheel cleaner is fairly boring and normally they work pretty good, not this time.

Now the wheels that I was cleaning were medium dirty, they were not extremely soiled. They were on a Buick LeSabre, so not BMW brake dust bad. First I pressure washed the wheels well, then I sprayed the wheels very liberally with Brake Buster. I gave them time to dwell and then scrubbed with a Wheel Woolie and then power rinsed the wheel. Normally with a degreaser or Poorboys Wheel Cleaner or Sonax Wheel Cleaner this would be sufficient to get wheels looking pretty good, uh uh, no. The wheels still looked terrible (pictures needed). I picked up a bottle of Britemax Iron Remover and gave the wheels a spray and another scrub, then powerwashed again, now the wheels are clean. I do like Britemax Iron Remover.

Unfortunately for me I bought a gallon of P&S Brake Buster as I figured my AG friends knew what was what when it came to cleaning wheels. Take it from me and avoid this weak sister of a product. It does not remove dirt, grease, grime, or brake dust, Epic Fail!
    Likes PA DETAILER liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, RMD, Fishing, Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: P&S Brake Buster Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner(first use)

Hey. A honest review is what it is. Honest. Not all products rise to the top.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I prefer not to say bad things about products, I like to find and post details about good products that we Autopians can use and get great results, unfortunately P&S Brake Buster is not one of them. I read some good reviews over on “the Dark Side” about Brake Buster and at $7.99 a bottle and it sounded good, nope. I should have taken pictures but a wheel cleaner is fairly boring and normally they work pretty good, not this time.

Now the wheels that I was cleaning were medium dirty, they were not extremely soiled. They were on a Buick LeSabre, so not BMW brake dust bad. First I pressure washed the wheels well, then I sprayed the wheels very liberally with Brake Buster. I gave them time to dwell and then scrubbed with a Wheel Woolie and then power rinsed the wheel. Normally with a degreaser or Poorboys Wheel Cleaner or Sonax Wheel Cleaner this would be sufficient to get wheels looking pretty good, uh uh, no. The wheels still looked terrible (pictures needed). I picked up a bottle of Britemax Iron Remover and gave the wheels a spray and another scrub, then powerwashed again, now the wheels are clean. I do like Britemax Iron Remover.

Unfortunately for me I bought a gallon of P&S Brake Buster as I figured my AG friends knew what was what when it came to cleaning wheels. Take it from me and avoid this weak sister of a product. It does not remove dirt, grease, grime, or brake dust, Epic Fail!
    I thought I was the only one who was disappointed by Brake Buster. I could never get a dilution rate that worked for me. At higher concentrations, it seemed to do fairly well, but always left a residue. At lower concentrations, it was ineffective on anything but a fairly clean wheel. I tried using it sprayed on, as well as through an IK foamer......a tiny bit better but the same results. Sadly, I bought a gallon too, which I`d gladly give to anyone who wanted to pick it up. Sticking with Sonax and Optimum Power Clean from now on. To provide some perspective.....I found Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner to be better.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had no problem with residue it and cleans OK. With all the excitement felt it was.... meh. A tad better than soap and water. Will stick with my Megs ultimate once done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Similar experience here. Bought a gallon based on reviews. Tried it twice on coated wheels on my VW Golf R that makes insane brake dust. Both times the cleaning ability was mediocre. Used it full strength then agitated with speed master wheel brushes; my normal procedure. Wheels weren’t that clean afterwards. Went over them with Adams wheel cleaner (which is a color changing wheel cleaner) with same process immediately afterwards and wheels turned purple. Wheels were immaculate after using Adams. So, no reason to use the P&S in my experience. Tossed the rest of the gallon of P&S in trash.
    There are other P&S products that I really like, interior cleaner and carpet cleaning trio, but the wheel cleaner wasn’t useful for me. As with all products, YMMV.
    Likes Edwardik79 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same experience here with it last year. Bought a gallon of the wheel cleaner - - completely underwhelmed when compared against my other products.

To give due credit to P&S, their interior detailer is quite good. About to do a repeat buy on it.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Same experience here with it last year. Bought a gallon of the wheel cleaner - - completely underwhelmed when compared against my other products.

To give due credit to P&S, their interior detailer is quite good. About to do a repeat buy on it.
    Agreed.....I really like the interior cleaner, and am now a fan of the Pearl Shampoo as well.....very economical....cleans well, rinses clean, good lubricity

Post Thanks / Like

Ill add my poor experience to this list. My normal go-to is Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel and Tire cleaner and this sounded just like it. Well just like everyone else I was VERY LESS than impressed. Tried a second round with more this time and longer dwell...NOPE. Bust out the NAW&T and BOOM nice bright silver clean wheels. Beadmaker is AWESOME just as advertised but NOT this wheel cleaner.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone contacted P&S about this "problem" with this non-acid wheel cleaner?? I would be interested to hear their side of the story and how they intend to handle this less-than-satisfactory customer experience.

By the way, thanks to rlmccarty2000 for starting this thread and telling us his honest experience. Not all car-care product perform as expected or are as good as other products on the market. The fact that other Autopians have had a similar experience and opinion gives more credibility to this thread, that this is not a singular or user-error problem with a car-care product. I also like the fact that many of you mentioned you like or even love to use other products offered from P&S , which, in my opinion, also give them a good reputation and credibility as a car-care product manufacturer.
    GB detailer
    Likes Oneheadlite, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Has anyone contacted P&S about this "problem" with this non-acid wheel cleaner?? I would be interested to hear their side of the story and how they intend to handle this less-than-satisfactory customer experience.

By the way, thanks to rlmccarty2000 for starting this thread and telling us his honest experience. Not all car-care product perform as expected or are as good as other products on the market. The fact that other Autopians have had a similar experience and opinion gives more credibility to this thread, that this is not a singular or user-error problem with a car-care product. I also like the fact that many of you mentioned you like or even love to use other products offered from P&S , which, in my opinion, also give them a good reputation and credibility as a car-care product manufacturer.
    Funny you mention reaching out to P&S. When I got mine, it looked to be a different color than what I`d seen prior. I did reach out to AGO customer service, because I wanted to make sure the product was not old stock. They assured me they contacted P&S, and the production date was recent. I offered to return the gallon, as I`d not opened it.....we were able to work it out. AGO customer service has always been very good to deal with, and this case proved to be no exception.

P.S. if there are any Jersey guys out there...who want to try this stuff....shoot me a PM....it`s yours free. All you have to do is pick it up
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a lot of us bought the gallon and got stuck with a lemon. I used it at full strength. I can’t imagine trying to dilute the stuff. I would give mine away but it is not worth the shipping cost.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah first p&s product and waslikely last but i got the xpress for like $10 for the gallon. Figured why not.

It gets good reviews but so did BB before i bought it.

It and TW Seal &Shine only forum recommended products I wasn’t impressed with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan Of BB myself. If not using a wheel acid for the truly nasty stuff, 3D Yellow degreaser at 4:1 is great for wheels, tires and plastic wells. I have a fear 3D yellow may be discontinued tho. Only a hunch and I’m not sure.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I grabbed a gallon as well during a sale last year I think more or less to hit a dollar amount for a sale. I realized then I didn`t really need it that much as I clean the vehicles I take care of often enough that they`d probably clean up as good with Reset. I`m sure the ceramic pads have more to do with it. Think I had been using some Diablo Gel that had to be a lesser dilution then called for.

Think some of the rationale was putting the IK foamer I picked up a while back into use since I never really bothered with it. I think I`ve got it at about 3:1 and didn`t have much issue with it but don`t take care of anything with a proper braking system or neglected cars either.

Anybody ever try the Auto Fanatic one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    I grabbed a gallon as well during a sale last year I think more or less to hit a dollar amount for a sale. I realized then I didn`t really need it that much as I clean the vehicles I take care of often enough that they`d probably clean up as good with Reset. I`m sure the ceramic pads have more to do with it. Think I had been using some Diablo Gel that had to be a lesser dilution then called for.

Think some of the rationale was putting the IK foamer I picked up a while back into use since I never really bothered with it. I think I`ve got it at about 3:1 and didn`t have much issue with it but don`t take care of anything with a proper braking system or neglected cars either.

Anybody ever try the Auto Fanatic one?
    Been thinking about doing so.....not interested in dragging out the power washer, so I`d have to invest in a foamer (I have a small IK).....Fathers Day is coming up....so maybe I`ll indulge myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information