Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I hear ya. Tim surely put off a lot of people. I saw it when he was getting push back in the obsessed garage facebook group. Its legit when Turtle Wax develops it lol.

Give it a shot is going to be my answer lol. I will say that it is better than the SPS Graphene Spray Detailer. Better gloss, slickness and hydrophobics.

You can check out Scoot H`s videos and you can see it is still around at 60 days.

60 days, wow... The regular DS`s looks good but only lasts a few days for me, like Chemical Guys V7. I don`t upsell customers a product that pops like crazy but is gone before you know it. Thank you for linking to that video I`m very impressed. Even 30 days it would be a good option for the budget minded customers (most of mine) It`s $5 more for a gallon than the normal DS, that`s a no brainer for a decent QD.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Adams graphene on my vehicle since it was released I am in Northeast Pa and we have all the road chemical from October to March. Salt, sand, gravel and calcium are used heavily. Before a heavy snowfall they spray our main roads with liquid calcium before it starts and then treat with salt, sand and gravel each time it snows. I get heavy build up of road chemicals it turns to light white color when dry. I maybe wash my vehicles Once a month. I used to wash more but It caused swirling. so when spring roles around I will be able to tell if the graphene had the extra durability and water spot resistance.

I normally keep a coating on for12-18 before polishing and applying a new coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I have the Adams graphene on my vehicle since it was released I am in Northeast Pa and we have all the road chemical from October to March. Salt, sand, gravel and calcium are used heavily. Before a heavy snowfall they spray our main roads with liquid calcium before it starts and then treat with salt, sand and gravel each time it snows. I get heavy build up of road chemicals it turns to light white color when dry. I maybe wash my vehicles Once a month. I used to wash more but It caused swirling. so when spring roles around I will be able to tell if the graphene had the extra durability and water spot resistance.

I normally keep a coating on for12-18 before polishing and applying a new coating.
    That`s where the SPS fell short for me...coming outta Winter. The usual decon routine of tar/iron remover and heavy foam/wash that revives ceramics didn`t do so well in reviving the graphene coating. Have since heard from a SPS rep who recommended the following:

As for decon have you used a good acidic waterspot remover. I have found a good acid wash seems to really bring back the self cleaning abilities. I’m assuming the acid is neutralizing/stripping and alkaline (deicer) film. At least that’s been my findings here in Mn.

I’m playing with a few different ones right now. The last one I used with great results was from Bushur’s Car Care. I also have a gallon of OP Spotless that I will be experimenting with.
    Never tried it as the coating was already removed by then...
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent a lot of time reading and digging into the "technology" of using Graphene in coatings.

From what I have found I don`t currently see
    Graphene in coating working the way they are being advertised. Simply adding Graphite powder to an already built coating does noting other that color the resin and the reality is we are more than likely wiping off the Graphene when doing the removal. So what is mostly left is really just base resin coating.

While the concept is good and long term
    Graphene may actually aid in the durability and protective aspects of a coating I don`t see it working very well right now. Especially when you have to shake it up because the Graphite powder comes out of suspension. I guess I just don`t trust that it is truly laying down a solid and complete layer of Graphene during application.

Case in point I can`t find anyone actually showing the info and microscopic images proving that the Graphene layer is actually there and protecting. I`m just suppose to take someone`s word for it.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, dgage, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I have spent a lot of time reading and digging into the "technology" of using Graphene in coatings.

From what I have found I don`t currently see
    Graphene in coating working the way they are being advertised. Simply adding Graphite powder to an already built coating does noting other that color the resin and the reality is we are more than likely wiping off the Graphene when doing the removal. So what is mostly left is really just base resin coating.

While the concept is good and long term
    Graphene may actually aid in the durability and protective aspects of a coating I don`t see it working very well right now. Especially when you have to shake it up because the Graphite powder comes out of suspension. I guess I just don`t trust that it is truly laying down a solid and complete layer of Graphene during application.

Case in point I can`t find anyone actually showing the info and microscopic images proving that the Graphene layer is actually there and protecting. I`m just suppose to take someone`s word for it.
    And even if research comes out showing it can work. I know a lot of these products pixie dust it in just so they can have it on the label. Which means a lot of the products would still be mostly worthless. I drink Bang Energy drinks, the cans says BCAAs in big letters, but it has a beyond micro dosing which makes it absolutely worthless. Or maybe you`re right and this whole Graphene hype train is just hype and will crash and burn. I`m broke typically so thank goodness for the ballers on here. They can buy and test all the goodies for me to check out.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    I`m broke typically so thank goodness for the ballers on here. They can buy and test all the goodies for me to check out.
    You know what my coating budget plan is? Letting BudgetPlan1 let me know what is worthwhile. Ok, him and Accumulator and the Guz and a few others. I`m too lazy to try all of those damn coatings plus I don`t have a parking lot of vehicles to work on like BudgetPlan1. Thanks guys for sharing the knowledge and experience.
    Likes noorth liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    You know what my coating budget plan is? Letting BudgetPlan1 let me know what is worthwhile. Ok, him and Accumulator and the Guz and a few others. I`m too lazy to try all of those damn coatings plus I don`t have a parking lot of vehicles to work on like BudgetPlan1. Thanks guys for sharing the knowledge and experience.
    Without me saying a name you nailed it. While they`re testing 10 different high end coatings on the roof of their car just because they`re bored. I`m still trying to convivence myself I should get over it and crack open the ONE bottle of stuff I have - Polish Angel Viking Shield and apply it. lol

Meanwhile BudgetPlan1 & Guz are probably working on launching their own high end mixing labs and putting out some beyond crazy coating. With everything they`ve tested they`d probably be able to create the greatest of the great. I`d definitely buy a coating made from anyone you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post

YUP! I`m here for exactly this!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

oh and for Scott`s tests, did you see in his 42 way test he`s using a $2 product? Nanobond. $2!!!!! and its hanging in there at 1 year and 7 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post
    oh and for Scott`s tests, did you see in his 42 way test he`s using a $2 product? Nanobond. $2!!!!! and its hanging in there at 1 year and 7 months.
    I believe there is two different Nano bonds out there I had bought the cheap one about a year off of Chinese site and it ended up clouding the paint on the little section I tested it on. Then there is a better version on the other site that rhymes with Zon. That one I believe is better but it’s almost at normal coating costs so I passed.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also Japanese company called “D-Pro” that had graphene but last time I checked they no longer offer. I only tried 1 coating from them it was average would not order again.

Post Thanks / Like

How much does price factor in for you guys? I understand if you`re putting in all the work you would want an expensive high quality product but at what point does price start to affect your decisions? I mean at $2 a bottle, a just "average" coating seems worth it right?

And that $2 bottle of nano bond is not longer available where Scott purchased it BUT there are many other brands for very cheap...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    That`s where the SPS fell short for me...coming outta Winter. The usual decon routine of tar/iron remover and heavy foam/wash that revives ceramics didn`t do so well in reviving the graphene coating. Have since heard from a SPS rep who recommended the following:

Never tried it as the coating was already removed by then...
    @budget thanks I occasionally used to use a light dilution of Megs wheel acid and you know what it worked nicely on water spot but I was paranoid it wasn’t a mainstream treatment to Decon. Good info to know going to give it a shot in the thaw. The only real chemical damage that I have ever done to a ceramic is with tar removers
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021

Thread Information