Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I used a foam applicator for the Wolfgang spray coating and it didn`t stiffen the foam at all. I have to wonder if a coating that`s so stiff on mf isn`t flexible enough to expand and contract in real world conditions.
    It doesn`t really matter. The layer of a coating goes on so thin. I was just curious if the applicator hardened at all as graphene coatings are being mentioned to be softer that some SiO2 coatings. But budget is right about the hardening applicator of a spray coating. Most are not that durable compared to something like CanCoat.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit from Alfred Yow, the mind behind Art d` Shine and SPS Graphene coatings. Most of the Social Media posts I`ve seen with Graphene coatings tout the excellent water behavior and beading which (I think) he indicates that graphene has nothing to do with.

To add on some answers to the article on Graphene,

The polymer used in Artdeshine`s product, PDMS has very low thermal conductivity, absorbing less heat when exposed. And if heat has been absorbed, the better dissipation and thermal conductivity ability of reduced Graphene Oxide (rGO) will help to negate. What we do not want is all that heat absorbed to be trapped. To say it simply, this is a case of using rGO to reduce the insulation (keeping heat) properties of PDMS.

Artdeshine has never touted using flames in any of our tests or marketing materials. This serves no purpose to demonstrate any capability of our coatings. We are not making fire-proof/retardant materials. And again, we are not touting thermal insulation as a beneficial property, we are trying to negate insulation.

Water repellent capabilities do not come from the use of rGO and can be seen in our marketing materials and information. A very high polymer (PDMS) content is used to achieve the better water-repellent effects. The polymer has been functionalized to provide much better water repellent capabilities.
    Kinda sounds like the Graphene component is in there as a `possible helper` to the PDMS, something found in many coatings, no?
    Likes The Guz, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I`ve never had anything that came outta a spray bottle (besides Gyeon CanCoat) stiffen an applicator or a towel. Do notice the towels I use for stuff like Overcoat, Cosmic Spritz and such become a bit hydrophobic of the course of a `season` but that`s about it.

As for coatings stiffening applicators, some do and some don`t; Kami Miyabi = Stiff, Kami ISM & Zipang...not so much. :shrug:

I really don`t pay much attention anymore, never considered the hardening of an applicator to be much of an indication of how a coating performs.
    Add CSL to list it did stiffen
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Heat breaks down a wax , sealant or coating over time. Dissipating the heat probably prolongs it`s life.

Post Thanks / Like

Found some interesting back and forth in some Facebook coating group

Barry Theal’s comments

Here is an interesting comment from Adams on the hardness of their coatings. Their graphene ceramic coating sounds indestructible. Gotta love marketing Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Likes Loach, BudgetPlan1, KBsToy, acuRAS82, Tc99m and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks Loach, BudgetPlan1, Oneheadlite, acuRAS82, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where has all the graphene hype gone? Is it just me or has it slowed down a bit lately.

Last I read is that Adams has mentioned their graphene ceramic coating is now rated at 10H. Wow that is just super impressive marketing. Sounds indestructible Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

In other news. I shared my water spotting issue with SPS in this thread with regards to water spotting a month after application.

When I posted that video, Ethos came in on the video comments and had commented on how they solved that issue but later stated that there is 80% less chance to water spotting. They also mentioned if I was open to try the coating and I said sure and provided my email. I knew it wouldn’t happen but I just played along.

Around Wednesday of this week a new subscriber asked if Ethos ever came through which I responded a no and mention how I was turned off by the company. Ethos (Tim) chimed in and gave the BS answer in the snapshot. Good thing I took a snapshot of the response.

I checked back Thursday and every single comment Ethos had made along with the comments of supporters for their product were removed. I had mentioned that Ethos comes off shady to me in their business practice within this thread or another and to me this behavior does not look good in my eye.

Showed me their true colors in really trying to use my video to promote their product and sales and I was having none of it lol. Hit the bigger channels if you want a favorable review.

Thought it was odd behavior. Tim seems like a nice guy but he comes off as super defensive of their product which is fine as it’s his passion. But their main concern is sales.

FYI ethos has introduced an Sio2 coating. Thought graphene was the future Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, acuRAS82, roscopervis thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Where has all the graphene hype gone? Is it just me or has it slowed down a bit lately.
    It will be interesting to see if it re-ignites again or mfg`s will play the waiting game for a bit after the skepticism.

Last I read is that Adams has mentioned their graphene ceramic coating is now rated at 10H. Wow that is just super impressive marketing. Sounds indestructible Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?
    Atomic Graphene infusion, perhaps?

In other news. I shared my water spotting issue with SPS in this thread with regards to water spotting a month after application.

When I posted that video, Ethos came in on the video comments and had commented on how they solved that issue but later stated that there is 80% less chance to water spotting. They also mentioned if I was open to try the coating and I said sure and provided my email. I knew it wouldn’t happen but I just played along.

Around Wednesday of this week a new subscriber asked if Ethos ever came through which I responded a no and mention how I was turned off by the company. Ethos (Tim) chimed in and gave the BS answer in the snapshot. Good thing I took a snapshot of the response.

I checked back Thursday and every single comment Ethos had made along with the comments of supporters for their product were removed. I had mentioned that Ethos comes off shady to me in their business practice within this thread or another and to me this behavior does not look good in my eye.

Showed me their true colors in really trying to use my video to promote their product and sales and I was having none of it lol. Hit the bigger channels if you want a favorable review.

Thought it was odd behavior. Tim seems like a nice guy but he comes off as super defensive of their product which is fine as it’s his passion. But their main concern is sales.
    Not at all surprising.

Some who have used it so far are pleased (regardless of Graphene) but the persistent appearances are a bit much. Saw `em pop up in another video comments section last week...getting all Topcoat-ish in their marketing. Ain`t nobody gonna like that.

Heck, I`d give Topcoat F11 a try if it meant I would stop seeing the ads everywhere. Who knows, maybe it`s not a bad product? But I`ll never know (not that *that* would impact them in any way Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?) cuz ya over-did it.
    Likes The Guz, acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

I coated the chevelle in graphene and drove it off a cliff. With the 10h hardness she came out fine. Gonna douse her in gasoline next and set her on fire Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

FYI ethos has introduced an Sio2 coating. Thought graphene was the future Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

We have so much business we could not send out 30ml sample for you to use and tell the truth on. Yet i can go in the A and buy pounds of graphene powder..... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that`s all they are doing, blending graphene powder into an existing coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the Adams graphene coating on right when it came out it doing good have not topped it and don’t plan on. One thing I am surprised at is how well it’s doing on the glass. I have only ties 3 Adams products the original spray coating, the graphene spray coating and full ceramic. I like there them for easy of use I have coat 20-25 cars with the spray coating 15-20 minutes to apply I pull the cars out of the garage into sun light help to build a thicker coating. That just IMO. I sell as a 1 year coating

The full ceramic graphene coating was just to good of a deal 60mls for $75 And it was the excitement of graphene.

its decent stuff the graphene does settle on bottle of bottle.

I haven’t tried any other of their products nothing else caught my eye think there high priced

Post Thanks / Like

I am at 5 months on my wife`s Tucson. (SPS) The water spotting is no different than any other product I have tried. It is still easy to wash, but the water spots have in some cases, needed a light polish to remove them.
    Likes The Guz, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@GUZ maybe he will change his mind a third time and send it out. The guys at SHOPTOOL Review a YouTube channel, killed it in the video https://youtu.be/5FiPqPpPH5I ended up writing the company and everything after there experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    @GUZ maybe he will change his mind a third time and send it out. The guys at SHOPTOOL Review a YouTube channel, killed it in the video https://youtu.be/5FiPqPpPH5I ended up writing the company and everything after there experience.
    Well, that didn`t go as planned. Now, I`m not a big fan of of Ethos due to the Topcoat F11-ish way they blitz social media at any mention of graphene, butting into others postings/videos (Ethos Graphene-related or not) to tout how THEY are the only ones to solve the riddle of a TRUE graphene coating (be it as Ethos Car Care/Tim/Tim`s detail shop) but in this case, I think something musta gone wrong during application or the bottle itself was somehow tainted; it`s an imperfect world and sometimes, well...stuff happens.

Even the crummiest E-Bay coating would give a better accounting than the Ethos in that video. Was it an error in application, was it a bad bottle...who knows but in all fairness, something seems to have been `not right` in an overall sense. I don`t think we`ll every know the truth as Ethos seems to shy away from everything that does not result in "We are epic!" so I`d imagine anything that comes to light from this video will be suspect at best and they`d likely not admit a production issue as that would call other products/production abilities into question.

In the end, given some of the somewhat questionable claims of the recent graphene releases ("Made of pure Atomic Graphene", "Greater 10h hardness...", blah, blah, blah, perhaps the greatest takeway a year from now will be a lesson in How NOT to introduce a new product/technology...
    Likes William_Wallace, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@Budgetplan I’m torn I see videos of the gorgeous beading of the product then the shop tools review. I’m trying hard to keep my money in my pocket and this thread has helped derail or at least slow the train.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread Information