Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Someone posted this on facebook and it s a great article by the folks over at Feynlab. I can not post the link but here is the entire article. The bottome portion of the article focuses on graphene. Just to add Feynlab is another company not going the graphene route.
    Great find, thanks for posting!

The SPS was a pretty good coating overall, some really good attributes...graphene in it not. Dunno what graphene adds, if anything but could be a good choice for some regardless. I`m not so confident the Ethos will match it but only one way to find out; something seems a bit `off`. :shrug:

Feynlab folks are some smart guys, I believe them when they say something. Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Great find, thanks for posting!

The SPS was a pretty good coating overall, some really good attributes...graphene in it not. Dunno what graphene adds, if anything but could be a good choice for some regardless. I`m not so confident the Ethos will match it but only one way to find out; something seems a bit `off`. :shrug:

Feynlab folks are some smart guys, I believe them when they say something. Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?
    Really interesting read and some big claims about their own understanding and product performance!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Really interesting read and some big claims about their own understanding and product performance!!
    I`ve spoken w them 2 or 3 times over the past few years, solid, no-nonsense, no hype folks. Good products fairly priced. Their coatings (to me) have a very brilliant look, almost sealant-like...unfortunately not to my preferences but they have some good stuff in my experience. Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?
    Likes atbalfour liked this post
    Thanks atbalfour thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Essentially, that Fenylab article posted pretty much agrees with what I stated a while back. Graphene is dark and will change the color of whatever paint it`s put on providing enough graphene is mixed in. Seems as if it`s more hype than actual function.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

I’ve had a few surprises/disappointments with Feynlab (Pure Rinseless due to the marketing of it; Ceramic Spray Sealant due to head to head comparison but otherwise not bad in any way). But due to their non-BS, their customer service and the way they seem to conduct themselves as a company, they’re still respected very much in my eyes. I will continue to buy and try products of theirs as my needs arise. Because they look like they know what they’re doing and they could so easily double the price of some of their products and still compete.

And the post that The Guz shared shows that they seem to be knowledge over marketing. Got to respect that.
    Likes wannafbody, BudgetPlan1, bob m liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The other thing is that sometimes a product isn`t bad but it might not be quite as easy to work with or quite as durable as some other product that you`ve used in your particular environment. Sometimes people split hairs between what`s a good product and another that might be just a tad bit better in one aspect or another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    The other thing is that sometimes a product isn`t bad but it might not be quite as easy to work with or quite as durable as some other product that you`ve used in your particular environment. Sometimes people split hairs between what`s a good product and another that might be just a tad bit better in one aspect or another.
    Yep, that’s where I was going with the Feynlab Ceramic Spray Sealant. I was matching it against IGL Premier which is twice the cost, and there’s not a significant drop off in my environment. In another environment on different paint, they could be equal or Feynlab ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim sent me the Ethos Graphene Matrix Coating to try out and I`ve been playing around with it for a few days now. Application is great, easy to work with and level out, had no issues with the warmer temperatures and humid environment. I did the fenders today that were reading up to 116°F with zero issues at 1 minute and 5 minute dry times. Definitely less tacky during the wipeoff and leveling than the CQuartz coatings, slicker on the final wipeoff and after the cure. Initial hydrophobic performance is top tier after 48 hours.

I haven`t used a coating yet that combines the ease of use and final slickness, with that level of fresh hydrophobic performance yet, but there`s still a ton that I haven`t worked with. Mohs and CSL are easy to work with and slick but both of those need Skin and EXO to boost the hydrophobic performance to this level. CQUK 3.0 is one of my all time favorites that approaches this level, but less user friendly, tackier on the wipeoff and less slick. Blackfire Pro Ceramic and CQuartz TiO2 had good ease of use, not quite this level of hydrophobic performance until being regularly maintained with various sprays.

It`s still way early on, the true test for me will be to see how it holds up in the wild. I`ve currently got the Graphene Matrix applied to the Honda test car so I`ll be keeping an eye on durability, but first impressions are great.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes BudgetPlan1, FunctionalDoc liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thx GUZ way cool read. I don’t know either. Loach brought up a good point I have used a good amount of coating UK3.0 was the one I settled on I only used the Adams one. The main difference I notice is how easy it was comparing to UK.30. I have not used normal Adams coating maybe they are just easy to apply don’t know.
    Fenylab was awesome to put that out. I use Feynlab rinseless I like that it doesn’t get beaded up when spraying it on a coated car and it just as good a clearlner as apc at 1/10 ratio.
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Thx GUZ way cool read. I don’t know either. Loach brought up a good point I have used a good amount of coating UK3.0 was the one I settled on I only used the Adams one. The main difference I notice is how easy it was comparing to UK.30. I have not used normal Adams coating maybe they are just easy to apply don’t know.
    Fenylab was awesome to put that out. I use Feynlab rinseless I like that it doesn’t get beaded up when spraying it on a coated car and it just as good a clearlner as apc at 1/10 ratio.
    The Adams paint coating is one of the easiest paint coatings to use. Much easier to use than CQUK 3.0. So it makes sense that their graphene ceramic coating is just as easy as it uses their ceramic coating as the foundation of their formula with the added graphene oxide. Did the applicator crystallize after you used it like CQUK 3.0?

I ask @Loach the same thing about Ethos if it does.

The reason I ask is because SPS stays a bit more flexible and I am noticing that SPS marrs rather easily compared to a ceramic coating.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Adams paint coating is one of the easiest paint coatings to use. Much easier to use than CQUK 3.0. So it makes sense that their graphene ceramic coating is just as easy as it uses their ceramic coating as the foundation of their formula with the added graphene oxide. Did the applicator crystallize after you used it like CQUK 3.0?

The reason I ask is because SPS stays a bit more flexible and I am noticing that SPS marrs rather easily compared to a ceramic coating.
    it stiffened it up a bit
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Yep, that’s where I was going with the Feynlab Ceramic Spray Sealant. I was matching it against IGL Premier which is twice the cost, and there’s not a significant drop off in my environment. In another environment on different paint, they could be equal or Feynlab ahead.
    yea that video was showing high right beads Adams maybe a little less on the beading I’m gonna try not to top it. If had video skill maybe I would shoot a water beading video every 90 days.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a medium amount of stiffness to the suede applicators with Graphene Matrix, much less stiff than how the CQUK applicators feel at this timeframe.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a foam applicator for the Wolfgang spray coating and it didn`t stiffen the foam at all. I have to wonder if a coating that`s so stiff on mf isn`t flexible enough to expand and contract in real world conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I used a foam applicator for the Wolfgang spray coating and it didn`t stiffen the foam at all. I have to wonder if a coating that`s so stiff on mf isn`t flexible enough to expand and contract in real world conditions.
    I`ve never had anything that came outta a spray bottle (besides Gyeon CanCoat) stiffen an applicator or a towel. Do notice the towels I use for stuff like Overcoat, Cosmic Spritz and such become a bit hydrophobic of the course of a `season` but that`s about it.

As for coatings stiffening applicators, some do and some don`t; Kami Miyabi = Stiff, Kami ISM & Zipang...not so much. :shrug:

I really don`t pay much attention anymore, never considered the hardening of an applicator to be much of an indication of how a coating performs.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread Information