Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

TroyScherer - Thanks for your reply.
    I know, I was also there at the beginning of Opti-Guard.
    This and their 2.0 were great products back then!
    So easy to apply, never had issues, etc..

Yes, I certainly know and agree with you that the Prep work will always be the make it or break it for the coating lasting the longest, if that is part of the coating`s make up in the first place..

The absolute number of coatings out today is pretty amazing, with new ones coming out very often.
    I cant remember if any of the new ones ever talk about how long they actually tested their products on actual vehicles anymore..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    You would think in 2020 the DIY market is able to over take the pro on bringing in profits. Did not know that about opti stopping sales of 2.0 based on pressure. The market probably made sense back then to do that but right now it’s the opposite.

Now opti has more competition in the pro range IGL, Modesta, Gtechniq, C-pro Feynlab who have prob gobbled up potential customers.. if they were interested in making a great deal of money re introducing new version of opti 2.0. Would bring them up to date in the ceramic line where they are competitive again.

I learned coatings by using gloss coat but it cannot compete with CQUK better gloss, beading, longevity and price 30mls Vs gloss coat 1 year 10mls for $60. I might be wrong and people still buy and use gloss coat but they seemed to have lagged behind and are over do for a new coating.
    I was just making a point that there are several reasons behind their decision to make pro only products. Another one is they don’t want just anyone installing their top of the line products. We all know there are a lot of hacks out there. Consumers blame the product when there is a problem. On the Camaro forum I saw a hack job on Gtech Crystal Serum, apparently Gtech sent the customer back to the same installer to take care of the problem. The installer managed to make it worse the second time. The guy was on the forum dragging Crystal Serum through the mud. Hundreds or possibly thousands of people saw that. Some will be smart enough to know it was the installer not the product. Even so if people are calling around getting prices and someone mentions Crystal Serum that negative image is in their mind. Now this was actually a professional that screwed that one up. Can you imagine opening up sales of Crystal Serum to the general public? It wouldn’t be long before they were selling less than they do just selling to pros.
    That leads to another point. Some of these pro products are a little more difficult to install.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalDoc View Post
    THE GUZ

I was reading somewhere that since graphene coatings are lower on the hardness scale will they be more susceptible to scratching from routine washing or road debris then SIO2 coatings ?

I think the graphene also read will maybe the king of hydrophobic properties.

I was also wondering is Car Pro , Fireball and , TAC Systems all one in the same company or some how are they related?

I appreciate all the testing you have done.
    It is possible they scratch easier. I don`t buy too much into coating hardness. I listed the hardness rating of SPS up above.

I can`t say if all of these brands come from the same place. It is possible they use the same blender.

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    We should start a betting pool on next company to come out with a graphene coating... can’t use IGL... I would hope carpro,
    CarPro would be smart to be the first to come out with one. We will see who is next. I know Angelwax has one in their authorized installer line. Migliore Forte seems to be available to purchase and it is graphene. It has a pretty high price point at $250 for what looks to be a 30 ml bottle.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes FunctionalDoc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m beta testing one now...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a contact to SPS? looking to dip my toes into my first certified coating

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    Anyone have a contact to SPS? looking to dip my toes into my first certified coating
    Contact them through facebook or on their actual web page (surfaceprotectivesolution).

Post Thanks / Like

Back on Topic.

@The Guz

Do you have any plans of a side-by-side panel comparing the Graphene coating to one of the popular long term Si02 coatings? On a test panel or even a full hood of a vehicle? I would love to see the differences compared directly.

A long time ago I remember reading a post where someone did a testing using color charged waxes on a white Panel.
    (Dodo I think) It showed that you could "tint" the color of a vehicle by using these waxes. So my question is will the same thing be true with the SPS Graphene since it is a dark color in the bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Back on Topic.

@The Guz

Do you have any plans of a side-by-side panel comparing the Graphene coating to one of the popular long term Si02 coatings? On a test panel or even a full hood of a vehicle? I would love to see the differences compared directly.

A long time ago I remember reading a post where someone did a testing using color charged waxes on a white Panel.
    (Dodo I think) It showed that you could "tint" the color of a vehicle by using these waxes. So my question is will the same thing be true with the SPS Graphene since it is a dark color in the bottle?
    One of the characteristics of Graphene is that it dries clear.

Sizzle Chest mentioned something about a darkening on the first vehicle he did, it was a darker color though, if I remember correctly. Maybe he can elaborate.

You can put clear ceramic on some paint and it will have a darkening affect as well. The affect is more the paint than the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Back on Topic.

@The Guz

It does not change the color of the paint. My silver car is still silver.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    One of the characteristics of Graphene is that it dries clear.

Sizzle Chest mentioned something about a darkening on the first vehicle he did, it was a darker color though, if I remember correctly. Maybe he can elaborate.

You can put clear ceramic on some paint and it will have a darkening affect as well. The affect is more the paint than the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was Ford paint, Sterling Grey. It did ‘darken’ the look of the surface, most of the coatings I’ve used have done the same, but it did not change the color whatsoever.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes DaveT435, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The car received it`s first wash last weekend. This coating is super hydrophobic and to quote waxmode oleophobic. Followed up with the spray detailer after blow drying the car.

The spray detailer like the actual coating has the graphene juice in it. Definitely shake up the bottle due to it settling within the bottle. There is nothing complicated about using this. It is a quick detailer after all that is easy on and easy off. The coating is already slick so the difference is negligible. The gloss under the coating is great and the difference is in gloss is minor at this point. I can say that the spray detailer does not have the same water behavior as the actual coating from testing it earlier in the year on a test panel.

Edit: Found the following information on the durablity of the SPS detailer. SPS claims up to 4 months of protection.

I will say that the slick feeling from this is great.

Low and behold it rained the next morning.

Can be used on multiple surfaces and on any forms of protection.

Enjoy the super hydrophobic properties after the first wash.

Likes Loach, DaveT435 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, DaveT435 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

righto boys... what are we thinking about the Graphene??? Longevity aside, do you love it?? Is it worth the 3x cost vs. CQUK3.0?? How is it with hard water spots??. as an observer, the slickness seems a big advantage over sio2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The car received it`s first wash last weekend. This coating is super hydrophobic and to quote waxmode oleophobic. Followed up with the spray detailer after blow drying the car.

The spray detailer like the actual coating has the graphene juice in it. Definitely shake up the bottle due to it settling within the bottle. There is nothing complicated about using this. It is a quick detailer after all that is easy on and easy off. The coating is already slick so the difference is negligible. The gloss under the coating is great and the difference is in gloss is minor at this point. I can say that the spray detailer does not have the same water behavior as the actual coating from testing it earlier in the year on a test panel.

Edit: Found the following information on the durablity of the SPS detailer. SPS claims up to 4 months of protection.

I will say that the slick feeling from this is great.

Low and behold it rained the next morning.

Can be used on multiple surfaces and on any forms of protection.

Enjoy the super hydrophobic properties after the first wash.

Ah - while that detailer looks nice my selfish motivation would have been to see how the coating performs on a standalone basis. Topping it blurs the lines somewhat - any coating will last pretty much indefinitely if topped and likewise all of the characteristics (gloss, water behaviour, slickness, self cleaning), at least for the next while will likely be imparted by your new LSP!

That said, I`d struggle to keep my hands off it either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    righto boys... what are we thinking about the Graphene??? Longevity aside, do you love it?? Is it worth the 3x cost vs. CQUK3.0?? How is it with hard water spots??. as an observer, the slickness seems a big advantage over sio2.
    For me it is still too early to claim it is going to take over. I will say the slick feeling of the coating is by far better than most quartz coatings tacky feel. As I mentioned think CSL/Exo but on another level. I can`t say about water spots as I have not had a quartz coating spot on me.

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Ah - while that detailer looks nice my selfish motivation would have been to see how the coating performs on a standalone basis. Topping it blurs the lines somewhat - any coating will last pretty much indefinitely if topped and likewise all of the characteristics (gloss, water behaviour, slickness, self cleaning), at least for the next while will likely be imparted by your new LSP!

That said, I`d struggle to keep my hands off it either
    There is another test panel for that on my year long coating test. The rest of the paint will be maintained with the detailer to see how IGL F4, SPS Graphene and the SPS Spray Detailer all play together.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, bodidly22, atbalfour liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Guz

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information