Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Adams posted some good information on their product. They made a good point on one of their videos on why they have the word ceramic in their name. They took their ceramic coating and added graphene oxide to the formula. I am sure SPS and Ethos are doing something similar. It then becomes another version of a ceramic coating (ie: SiO2, TiO2, SIC, etc..). This was mentioned on the recent Obsessed Garage podcast as well dated 7-31-2020 towards the end about the blender B&B and adding graphene oxide to the ceramic fomula.

Why is Graphene still called a Ceramic Coating?

Graphene alone will not form a coating. Period. Graphene is a flat non-reactive plane, it will not form a bond with other things.

Graphene coatings are coatings with graphene molecules grafted onto the ceramic backbone. If you think of the graphic of the graphene oxide, the tails you see sticking up are what is grafted onto the ceramic molecule. The Ceramic molecule bonds with the car, and the graphene portion of the molecule is on top, forming the surface of the coating.

What`s The Difference Between Graphene And Traditional Ceramic Coatings?

Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coatings

What are they and Why are they different?

Description:

In the simplest terms, Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ are best described as evolutions on “traditional” ceramic coating technologies – the term traditional, as of this writing, referring to currently marketed ceramic coating offerings comprised of primarily quartz (SiO2), metal-oxides like titanium-dioxide (TiO2), silicon-carbide (SiC) and many others.

The R&D Process:

When we began formulating our Graphene Ceramic Coatings, we were seeking to improve upon the physical characteristics of our own ceramic coating offerings by providing them with additional hydrophobicity, chemical durability, scratch and mar resistance, gloss, slickness, and ease of application. We were interested in consolidating feedback into advancements in our coating technologies that would yield an even better experience for our customers.
    What we determined was that the next frontier was likely to be utilizing technologies around graphene and incorporating this tech into our coatings and process.
    To get very technical for a moment, what we’ve developed is a ceramic coating that has been modified via a reduced graphene-oxide (RGO). Graphene, a monolayer of graphite, is able to be oxidatively processed into graphene-oxide (GO) which makes the material vastly easier to process and formulate around. We can then combine this technology with some of the more traditional ceramic coating technologies to further retrofit them with additional properties while utilizing the ceramic coating’s ability to bond this matrix to the surface.

Figure 1 – Example of a Graphene-Oxide Matrix.

What we saw in quantitative and qualitative testing, in and out of the lab, was dramatically improved hydrophobic character, increased gloss, higher tensile strength yielding more scratch and mar resistance, and further improved resistivity to water spot etching and detergent washes – often taking in the hundreds of traditional car washes or even thousands of scrubs on our Elcometer Abrasion-Washability tester – See Figure 2.

Figure 2 – Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating after 5000 back-and-forth scrubs with a sponge exerting 500g of pressure and a 5% Dawn Ultra Dish Soap solution.

Hydrophobicity and its Relation to the Self-Cleaning Effect:

The improved hydrophobic character can best be described as a dynamic hydrophobicity. That is to say the contact angle was improved, but only marginally, but the sliding angle of the coating was dramatically lowered – that is the degree of tilt was found to be much less to get movement of water. This has huge ramifications on the effectiveness of the Lotus-Leaf Type “self-cleaning effect” offered by the coating, a primary attribute. The water will be observed to get off the surface much more dramatically than what’s seen on our current coating offerings.

Figure 3 – Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating contact angle with Deionized Water.
    Compare & Contrast:

The application of Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ are similar to what you’d expect from our current ceramic coating offerings, with a few key differences. An individual would find that the graphene offerings tend to cure more rapidly, so it some ways it may be found to be less user friendly – particularly in hot and humid climates which will accelerate the cure as well. However, the graphene offerings will also be found to be more highly slick and produce a higher level of gloss as the coating film is thicker due to a higher overall activity level compared to the quartz coatings – some of our highest actives coatings yet! Despite the higher activity, individuals will be surprised to note that the graphene coatings don’t have as harsh of an odor as the quartz coatings too.

One special characteristic we found in development of the graphene coatings were that they have a strong affinity for practically any external automotive surface. We’ve presented the Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ as multi-surface coatings because they truly were appropriate for all manner of substrates be it paint, wheels, plastic trim, chrome, glass, rubber or metal. This provides additional ease of use to the end user because they are able to coat more surfaces utilizing a single bottle.

Maintenance:

Maintenance for the two types of coating technologies is very similar and the use of SiO2 based protection is still perfectly valid and acceptable as the Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ still contain SiO2 based ingredients and will interact well to bolster and maintain the finish produced by the coatings.

Adam’s UV Ceramic Glow Technology™:

Thankfully, we were also able to formulate the coatings such that all Adam’s Polishes’ offerings of ceramic coatings have our patent-pending UV Ceramic Glow Technology™ which aids in the application of the coatings and allows visualization of the film post cure to ensure high spots are leveled properly and all surface area is properly coated.

Figure 4 – Demonstrations of UV Ceramic Glow Technology™.

Summary:

Again, it’s best to view Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ as a necessary evolutionary step to ceramic coating technologies and not as simply a “carbon coating”. This is a reduced graphene-oxide system and it’s intended to retrofit traditional quartz-based ceramic coatings with additional functionality and improved physical characteristics.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Zenny, Loach liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Ever had issues with clay mitt (which one do you use?) and Feynlab Pure Rinseless as lube? I did, mostly from being sloppy, and definitely left streaks all over because I didn’t dry thoroughly or at all in some areas.
    I actually use a brand from AliExpress called Marflow there clay pads are not expensive and good quality. I buy the king clay pad it’s there most aggressive. It costs less that $10 I’ve been use for last three years I go through 1-2 per year. I also use the mothers clay bar for tar spot or citrol 266

Post Thanks / Like

There is no ceramic in SPS. And at the price that Adams is charging, can’t be much Graphene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    There is no ceramic in SPS. And at the price that Adams is charging, can’t be much Graphene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From Adams:Why is Graphene still called a Ceramic Coating?

Graphene alone will not form a coating. Period. Graphene is a flat non-reactive plane, it will not form a bond with other things.

Graphene coatings are coatings with graphene molecules grafted onto the ceramic backbone. If you think of the graphic of the graphene oxide, the tails you see sticking up are what is grafted onto the ceramic molecule. The Ceramic molecule bonds with the car, and the graphene portion of the molecule is on top, forming the surface of the coating.

Sorry, forgot to add that this was taken from The Guz quote.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The only advantage I can see as really being beneficial is that the graphene may allow multiple coats to anchor to each other better.

Post Thanks / Like

SPS is PDMS which is silicone. PDMS when compared to many other base components like SiO2, has a lower thermal conductivity, thus lowering the absorption of heat. This reduces the chances of substances reacting on treated surfaces. The slickness/smoothness of PDMS reduces the ability of ice/snow from sticking onto surfaces. This was on there site or Art de shine.

Adams is a normal ceramic with graphene added Guz post good stuff above.

Two different takes to using the latest and greatest I’m sure there are pros and cons of each. Don’t think you would go wrong either way.

I have always used Cquartz UK prior. For some reason IT had a better darkening effect on paint it looked very good and it had good water behavior at a great price point every year I would lightly polish and recoat and I was pretty happy all the way around with UK.

The Adams Graphene product just came at a lower price point $75 for 60ml on sale and it was easier to apply. Adams has more glossy look and less darkening effect but just a breeze to put on. SPS is a little out of my range. The hardest part is try to use up the 60 mls. If Adams crosses the $100 mark I don’t know if I would have purchased I think they were smart coming it at a good price point.

I would still recommend UK to anyone it’s a proven product. Above 85 degree it increase in difficulty a wee bit but nothing to bad.

who’s doing the test panel ethos vs Adams vs SPS vs Mr Fix graphene.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m on east coast here is some beading shots during this tropical storm
    Likes The Guz, acuRAS82 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

That beading looks nice but then again Zaino beaded like that 15 years ago. I`d be more concerned about durability and self cleaning ability. So far, IMO, the self cleaning ability of ceramics is overstated. I`m not saying that ceramics or graphene are bad, just overhyped.

Based on one youtube video, the Adams graphene is quite resistant to washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I’m on east coast here is some beading shots during this tropical storm
    Doesn’t look as tight as SPS or even Skin from gyeon.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    That beading looks nice but then again Zaino beaded like that 15 years ago. I`d be more concerned about durability and self cleaning ability. So far, IMO, the self cleaning ability of ceramics is overstated. I`m not saying that ceramics or graphene are bad, just overhyped.
    skin was good stuff I would have thought they would have had a new version with a little extra durability by now it just took so long to apply mohs then skin. Skin is based from PDMS so maybe it has to in be involved in the formula to get above the 110 degrees.

are u guys topping SPS or just letting it fend for itself I prob gonna try not to touch it until October or November if I can keep my hands off it

Post Thanks / Like

Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?-img_0870.jpg

My findings so far, applied it roughly 2-3 weeks ago and has been 600 miles.

SPS graphene had the most darkening/gloss effect. CQUK was pretty close. SPS graphene has stayed pretty slick so far. SPS graphene did water spot just like the rest of the coatings. SPS actually does pretty well at darkening trim and making it bead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Be interesting to see how 845 fairs against the coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Be interesting to see how 845 fairs against the coatings.
    not looking good for 845. its still beading quite nicely but i can tell the contact angle isnt as aggressive and i can see it falling off early. also the first day i applied it, 845 had the "sweats" and looked really bad.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Not totally unexpected since it`s such an old product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Doesn’t look as tight as SPS or even Skin from gyeon.
    I always looked at Skin as the nuttiest beading and water behavior I`ve seen. Remarkably entertaining to play with beads. Too bad it didn`t go the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    are u guys topping SPS or just letting it fend for itself I prob gonna try not to touch it until October or November if I can keep my hands off it
    From May 2019 thru December 2019 my SPS was fending for itself; started adding the Graphene Detailer after infrequent washes from December 2019 up until I polished it off a few weeks ago.
    Likes William_Wallace, The Guz liked this post

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information