Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax

This is a review for the new DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax (later referred to as “NYF”). Please understand that PBMG provided me with the wax for free, as well as some other DP products to try and review. It`s a ceramic wax from the newly updated DP line. It does not appear to contain any carnauba, but rather polymers / SiO2.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/dp-s...l#.XnMxd3JKiHs

Price:
    $44.99 regular retail for 8oz

Product Description:
    DP "Not Your Father`s" Paste Wax is just that, not your father’s paste wax, it`s yours. Made for the next generation of detailers, DP "Not Your Father’s" Paste Wax supplies SiO2 protection which results in a slick, high-gloss shine. DP "Not Your Father`s" Paste Wax will last longer than a traditional carnauba wax.

What you can expect:
    •SIO2 PROTECTION! Say hello to hydrophobicity and protection!
    •SHINES! Prepare for shiny, glossy, slick look!
    •MADE TO LAST! Protection and shine will last longer than a typical wax.

Initial Observations:
    Scent – Lemon (I’m bad at this, Meghan correct if I’m wrong).
    Consistency – Medium / hard, like most other PBMG waxes (think Souveran / Midnight Sun / Fuzion).
    Color – Blonde, like the color of the label.

Vehicle / Paint Surface Condition:
    Applied to the ol’ 2004 TSX on 03/17/2020. First, stripped previous LSP with coating prep wash. Clayed with BF clay mitt. Polished with a combo of Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (above waist level) and Megs Scratch-X (below waste level) using LC blue & white polishing pads. After polishing I did a few rounds of WG Perfekt Finish Paint Prep on the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk lid) and those surfaces are feeling and sounding squeaky clean. For vertical surfaces (sides, front, back) I applied CarPro Essence Extreme primer with Gloss Pads.

NOTE: The horizontal surfaces are being used for a Ceramic Wax test which includes “NYF” SiO2 Paste Wax. This will be detailed in another thread.
    The vertical panels have “NYF” SiO2 Paste Wax applied over Essence Extreme.

Application:
    As satisfying as a paste wax. I personally love ceramic waxes due to the old school application with modern water behavior and self-cleaning. I grew up using waxes, I enjoy the Sunday afternoon wax-session-nostalgia. But I also am into the self-cleaning and glassy appearance of modern SiO2 products (sprays & ceramic waxes). These waxes bridge the gap for me more-so than the SiO2 sprays (which I also adore but the waxes are my fave). The wipe off is where I really appreciate the ceramic waxes. Once I do an initial wipe of the first panel and get the feel, I know my later wipe offs are fully removing the product. I don’t always feel this way with the SiO2 sprays, where I’m constantly checking angles to ensure I removed uniformly. Since I do a lot of my detailing in my garage at night time, this is an appreciated benefit of ceramic waxes.

It was applied in my garage at about 62 deg F, average western PA humidity (40-50%?).

Directions -
    1. Make sure applying this product on a cool surface and out of direct sunlight.
    2. If necessary, wash, dry, clay and polish your vehicle before applying this product.
    3. Working one section of the car at a time, apply a thin layer of wax to the surface using a polyfoam applicator.
    4. Allow approximately 1 to 3 minutes for wax to flash and haze before buffing away.
    5. Once 1-3 minutes has passed, buff away with a clean microfiber towel.
    6. Continue to do the same thing around the rest of the car.
    *If the wax appears to be `smeary`, it is likely that too much wax was applied. In this case, use a coating a prep spray to remove the wax before applying again.*

Much like all PBMG waxes, rub a foam applicator lightly onto the wax surface. The slight heat from friction will cause the wax to melt onto the applicator. Prime the applicator like this once and after that it should only take a swipe or two per panel to reload. Thin is in. The stuff goes pretty far. Considering the 8oz size of the tin, one of these should last for a long time and probably get 30-40 applications (just my rough guess). I had no issues with smearing that is alluded to in the directions.

Unlike some ceramic waxes, this only takes a few minutes to haze and then can be wiped off. I tested both the 3 minute suggested wait time and also intervals of 5, 10 and 20 minutes. It was easiest to wipe off after 3-5 mins but not difficult after 10-20 mins. Just a bit more resistance the longer the wait time.

Results:
    Very nice gloss! From my initial impression inside my little garage with poor lighting, it’s a mix between candy shell sealant look and SiO2 glassy. It’s not see-through, crisp, glassy like some coatings and SiO2 sprays like High Gloss, or PBL Surface Coating. It has a certain smooth look to it that I would compare to PBL Sealant. There was possible filling noticed during my wax test comparisons (unless the horizontal areas I applied this naturally had less RIDs). Very good slickness, but not Beadmaker or QD slick… more soft-smooth-slick texture. This is similar with most ceramic waxes I have used.

I have no observation of water behavior, self-cleaning or dust repellency yet. I’ll add information once observed. The car is still in my garage. There is no cure time listed for this wax so I’m assuming it cures pretty fast, but I always try to stick to 24 hours whenever possible for polymer / SiO2 products. The wax does not claim to include carnauba. I’m not sure whether this attracts less, more or the same as competitors… but I wouldn’t consider ceramic waxes to be super attractive to dust.

Final Summary:
    I’m very impressed with the value of this wax. Ceramic waxes aren’t cheap and never have been since Dodo Juice Nano Hybrid and PBL Synergy released theirs in 2015-ish (others may have existed before then but these were the first I was introduced to). Other ceramic waxes I have are also in the boutique, pricey range. The closest comparable ceramic wax in value (that I own) is Mckees Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax ($70 for 8oz), but that’s a $15 price increase. I think “NYF” applies/wipes off slightly easier and hazes quicker. IGL EcoCoat Wax is similar price as “NYF” but it’s is a cleaner wax and doesn’t have great longevity, so I’m not sure yet how “NYF” compares.

This wax does pretty well in all categories one would expect from a ceramic wax, upon initial application. Some of the more expensive waxes have effortless wipe off, fantastic self-cleaning, great protection/durability/longevity and insane looks. Those are qualities that are paid a premium for. I think a lot of people are not willing to shell out the money to try those products. I admire that this wax should allow a broader audience to experience ceramic waxes and their benefits. We’ll see how time and environment treat this wax, but after initial use I think it’s a winner for the price.

I apologize for the lengthy review, I get excited by these types of products. Thanks for reading!
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax

acuRAS82:
    Never make an apology for a "lengthy" in-depth review that you take the time to post pics and type up your experience and opinions about a product. You, and many other Autopians who do this are the reason why I am a long-time member and read these posts with interest. As a hobbyist on limited detailing budget, I simply cannot afford to try out every new offering of detailing products as they come out and these type of extensive reviews help me pick out which products I may buy and use. I value your opinion and regardless that most reviews are based on subjective evaluations (IE; personal feelings based on their observation and experience with a product without some quantitative measuring device that produces numeric or empirical data to compare with or replicate) it is useful to me.

You are the best advertising that DP has: word of mouth. I would hope that Palm Beach Motoring Group will financially compensate you in some small way for your time and effort.

By the way, I do wish you could try this wax on a dark-colored vehicle. Silver/pewter grey is just "difficult` to see the gloss of an LSP on. (Picky, picky, picky, Captain Obvious.... Sure, butter them up, then tell what they did "wrong"!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    acuRAS82:
    Never make an apology for a "lengthy" in-depth review that you take the time to post pics and type up your experience and opinions about a product. You, and many other Autopians who do this are the reason why I am a long-time member and read these posts with interest. As a hobbyist on limited detailing budget, I simply cannot afford to try out every new offering of detailing products as they come out and these type of extensive reviews help me pick out which products I may buy and use. I value your opinion and regardless that most reviews are based on subjective evaluations (IE; personal feelings based on their observation and experience with a product without some quantitative measuring device that produces numeric or empirical data to compare with or replicate) it is useful to me.

You are the best advertising that DP has: word of mouth. I would hope that Palm Beach Motoring Group will financially compensate you in some small way for your time and effort.

By the way, I do wish you could try this wax on a dark-colored vehicle. Silver/pewter grey is just "difficult` to see the gloss of an LSP on. (Picky, picky, picky, Captain Obvious.... Sure, butter them up, then tell what they did "wrong"!)
    Lonnie, thank you for your thoughtful post. You’re the reason why I spend the extra time trying to document my subjective experience.

PBMG actually did provide me with the wax for free, as well as some other DP products. They literally just asked me which ones I would like to try and sent them! So I feel compensated, and although they didn’t request any type of review, of course I’m going to provide something back to the community (and PBMG from the opposite perspective) by sharing.

I’ll see what I can do about applying “NYF” to a black or dark graphite panel or two over the next couple weeks. I have no issues with your constructive feedback on that manner! I’ll post back here if I’m able to. Thanks for the feedback.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used to think "Free is good", until someone came up with the quote, "Bad work, even if it is free, is still bad work." ,which it true.

Does the fact that someone gets something for free from a vendor/manufacturer/distributor and then is asked to review it sometimes "influence" or sway the reviewer`s opinion NOT to criticize or give a negative opinion about it? It might, like "Don`t bite the hand that feeds you." (Oh ya, Captain Obvious is also Captain Cliche.. but I digress!) I would like to think that these reviews are unbiased, truthful, and given without a "gun-pointed-at-your-head-or-else".

I still think, though, that these free samples given to those of you who are beta testers or product reviewers and posters are the best and most cost-effective (AKA; cheapest!) form of advertising there is and it has the highest probability of sales because it is directed at a targeted market of detailing customers that learn about the product from this detailing forum through such reviews.

What intrigues me the most is the price point you pointed out and performance of this wax compared to its market competitors. That is a detailing product "value" and as a hobbyist, it is something that influences me a lot, being on "limited detailing budget."
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Does the fact that someone gets something for free from a vendor/manufacturer/distributor and then is asked to review it sometimes "influence" or sway the reviewer`s opinion NOT to criticize or give a negative opinion about it? It might, like "Don`t bite the hand that feeds you." (Oh ya, Captain Obvious is also Captain Cliche.. but I digress!) I would like to think that these reviews are unbiased, truthful, and given without a "gun-pointed-at-your-head-or-else".

I still think, though, that these free samples given to those of you who are beta testers or product reviewers and posters are the best and most cost-effective (AKA; cheapest!) form of advertising there is and it has the highest probability of sales because it is directed at a targeted market of detailing customers that learn about the product from this detailing forum through such reviews.
    For me, a hoarder of detailing products, free is always good.

Am I impacted by it being a generous gift and therefore sub-consciously providing a better review? I try not to, but I don’t know the true detailed answer if it’s sub-conscious. I am a generally positive reviewer anyways, sort of an optimist, when it comes to detailing products because this is my hobby and I’m in a pretty positive mood when I’m doing or writing about it. Im that way at my job too. Working with a bunch of engineers who nit-pick every little thing in some documents and make a big deal out of the negligible, I’ve learned to be the anti, and I try to look for real issues that are actually incorrect or poor. In that same sense, I’ll point something out that sucks or that is baffling about a product, but if something is just slightly off, or only 90% of “really good”, I’m probably not going to utilize my time complaining about it.

Consider the above to be a secret tip into my reviews when considering products: AcuRAS will tell me if he thinks something is poor, but he may not show disgust for the little things that dont matter to him. For the latter, you’re probably best to carefully read my descriptive words and determine if that’s a nice way of saying “he’s seen better”.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized that 4 pictures didn’t attach to the original post. I’ve added them now.

Post Thanks / Like

There is one characteristic of your Acura`s grey/pewter/silver paint that is important for showing gloss or reflection: NO ORANGE PEEL!
    Higher-end (AKA more expensive) vehicles are just "more reflective" for this reason. Granted, they may not be perfect from the factory, but they do look (much) nicer paint-wise than their "more pedestrian" counterparts.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

A few picture updates from a few weeks ago (first two) and then the last few days (last two):

Likes Tc99m, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review and pics! Car is glossy!!! Great water behavior. Thanks for posting this up!

I must admit, I too, love an `old school` wax/sealant. Just so simple/easy maintenance/etc. Just need to do it more frequently...been thinking of doing something along these lines to one of my rides...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the review, im having a really hard time spreading this thin and even harder time removing it, any tips? Foam applicator better for this than microfiber? Sun an issue in your experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vettemn86 View Post
    Thank you for the review, im having a really hard time spreading this thin and even harder time removing it, any tips? Foam applicator better for this than microfiber? Sun an issue in your experience?
    I would definitely keep it out of the sun if possible during application. If that’s not possible, try at morning or night when the sun isn’t as strong. And I would also use a foam applicator. I only use MF applicators for sprays. Hope this helps.
    Likes vettemn86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I would definitely keep it out of the sun if possible during application. If that’s not possible, try at morning or night when the sun isn’t as strong. And I would also use a foam applicator. I only use MF applicators for sprays. Hope this helps.
    Big thank you acuRAS82. Foam applicator did the trick. Second coat went on thin and even and wipe off was very easy! Thank you again

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up homeslice!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. Thanks.

Thread Information