Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner

Duplicate of review posted below, PoorBoy’s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Thanks bobfic thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner

New Year`s day in my area turned out to be sunny and unseasonably warm so I did what any self-respecting car and detailing enthusiast would do: I washed my car. Since my car`s last wash it has seen two snow storms and multiple days of rain. Needless to say, the car was really dirty and my wheels were even worse. This provided me a great opportunity to do a product review of the wheel cleaner I`m currently using: Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner.

Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner is a really long name for a simple, easy to use product available in the gallon jug shown here or 16oz bottles. I highly recommend buying the gallon jugs of any wheel cleaner. Not only does it lower the per-volume prices, but a single 16oz bottle of product will only be good for cleaning around 8 wheels, maybe less if they are very large or really dirty. Having a gallon jug on hand also significantly lowers the possibility of running out of product in the middle of a wash, or finding yourself ready to wash your car and finding an empty bottle in your garage. Ask me how I know.

Going into this job, my wheels were in pretty rough shape. Two months of brake dust, road salt, and general grime from driving in winter weather left them pretty dirty.

To get a real appreciation for how dirty the wheel really is, here is a close up of the caked on brake dust and grime.

To save time and wheel cleaner the wheels were first sprayed down with my power washer. I don`t use the power washer all the time, but when the car or wheels are this dirty, it really speeds up the washing process by knocking off quite a bit of loose grime. If you don`t own one and the vehicle is really in rough shape, I recommend going to a coin-op car wash and giving the whole thing the best rinse you can get for a dollar or two. Here is the same wheel after simply giving it a good blast with my small power washer.

Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner sprays on thick and has this alien guts green color. For wheels like these with a simple design, I can clean them pretty rapidly and the holding ability of the product isn`t as important. The summer wheels on my previous car had twice as many spokes which made a thicker wheel cleaner like this one very helpful. The wheel cleaner remained on all the surfaces despite the longer time needed to clean between all the spokes.

With the wheel cleaner applied to the working area the next step was to give them a good scrubbing first with my Speedmaster wheel brush to clean the barrel of the wheels, tight areas around the brake calipers, and the smaller areas between spokes. The larger areas and the face of the wheel is cleaned with a soft wheel brush. With this step complete, the wheel cleaner has created lots of suds which still cling to the wheel. In the image below the dark suds on the brake rotor and wheel show how much grime is being removed.

For the purposes of this review I only cleaned half of the wheel at a time. In the bottom left of the above picture and the left side of the picture below you can see the stark difference in color and gloss of the clean side verses the dirty side.

After getting a few good pictures, I cleaned the left side in the same way. The final result is a shiny, glossy, wheel free of brake dust and grime.

Like all the other Poorboy`s World products I use, their Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner is a great product which works well. It doesn`t seem overly harsh, clings to surfaces, cleans well, and rinses off easily. The only negative for this product is the price; gallon jugs are priced at $50. Griot`s Garage Wheel Cleaner which is also a very good product, but thinner in consistency can be found in multiple places $35 a gallon.

If you need a wheel cleaner with some staying power on the surface, Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner is the way to go. However, if staying power on the surface isn`t an issue, I`d go Griot`s Garage and save some money.
    Likes GearHead_1, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner

Good review. Looks like a goid product. I meed to give poorboys a try

You should remove the link for the wheel face brush tho... links to the Big A a no no also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Good review. Looks like a goid product. I meed to give poorboys a try

You should remove the link for the wheel face brush tho... links to the Big A a no no also

Agh! Yep. That was an oversight on my part while doing all the copy/paste work. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to belabor in this but since both Autopia and AG ship from the PBMG warehouse what is the concern with copying there links in? Are the 2 forums and websites entirely separate entities, no relationship at all?

Again, I don’t really care...just wondering

Post Thanks / Like

I think thats ok, links to AG and Autopia sites. Its links to the outside of those 2. One of his links was to Amazon. On Autopia you can post and talk about non PBMG products but not link. The dont provide these forums for us to send business elsewhere.

You can even review non PBMG products here just cant link them. Most forums wont even let yiu do that including Autogeeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I committed two fouls with this review. First, I simply posted a link to the review on my personal blog. Didn`t really think about it being an issue, but I`ve not read the TOU`s in a while. The second was forgetting about a link to Amazon embedded in the text. I knew that one and simply missed it.

Both are my fault and I`ll proceed differently the next time around to stay within the rules set out by our hosts.
    Likes GearHead_1, Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Links to AutoGeek and Autopia are both most appropriate.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!

Misstakes happens and can be corrected so don`t worry.

A thorough and well written and great pictures you have done.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

While I hardly ever use Wheel Cleaners, I checked out this review (good job, Desertnate!) since I`ve used up all my old TOL Non-Acidic stuff.

I guess I`m just wasting bandwidth, but heh heh... *gee* you considered those wheels really dirty?!? I`d simply love it if ours only got that bad between washes.

I`m guessing that those little holes between the lugs call for swabs, huh? I`m wondering why they`re there...other than that, those look like they`d be pretty OK to clean; getting the backs of the spokes looks like it`d be easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I guess I`m just wasting bandwidth, but heh heh... *gee* you considered those wheels really dirty?!? I`d simply love it if ours only got that bad between washes.
    In bright sunlight it looked much worse. Those wheels are also gray and not a bright silver, so they don`t look as bad when really dirty. All part of the plan for my winter wheels!

One thing I noticed was even though they didn`t look *that* bad and the power washer knocked of a substantial amount of the brake dust and grime, I still had some very tiny black spots which were REALLY hard to remove. If I`d gone much longer there is no telling if the problem would have grown.

I`m guessing that those little holes between the lugs call for swabs, huh? I`m wondering why they`re there...other than that, those look like they`d be pretty OK to clean; getting the backs of the spokes looks like it`d be easy.
    Yes, those holes do need swabs. No idea what they are there for since they don`t go all the way to the back side of the wheel.

Besides those silly little holes, the wheels are very easy to clean. I can get anywhere on them with a Speedmaster brush and a regular wheel brush for the front facing areas. Again, part of the plan since these are my winter wheels and I knew they would get much dirtier than my summer wheels and I needed the ability to clean them quickly and easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- With those spots being so tenacious it probably *was* a good idea to not let them go longer. Another case of my not being able to really see what`s what via internet pix

Post Thanks / Like

They were pretty tiny but plentiful enough they caught my attention when taking a very close look at the wheel. I didn`t even see them until doing a final "QC" check after I`d taken all the pictures. I could have let them go, but was afraid they would eventually cause pitting in the finish of the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Do you have any kind of protection on them? I`m guessing "no" since you`re using a Wheel Cleaner..and if that`s the case I understand about not wanting to risk pitting. (The only wheels I run bare are already imperfect enough that I probably (?) wouldn`t care.)

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulater

So, is it standard practice e to not use any sort of wheel cleaner on wheels that you have any sort of protection on?

Asking because I have been consider coating or sealing the wheels on our fusion and still continuing to use PS brake baker during my wheel cleaning wash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information