Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SPS Graphene coating

Ok so are you saying I should stop being such a cry baby? Ok fine then!

Post Thanks / Like

Fun observation. My charger is half sps graphene, half csl+exo...gtech parts are a year older as I polished off half of it to install sps a while back.

Anyways car has sat outside for two plus weeks and it rained a few times and my car is a spotted leopard.

Well I finally washed it (si02 soap from mckees and dried with the sps detailer + gauntlet towel) and the only panels that had water spots are my gtech panels.

So I guess now I have some panels to test products on after I get rid of the water spots!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, atbalfour, acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So after reading through this thread it seems that there are "conflicting" viewpoints from personal experiences with SPS coating.
    If it is does not last as long as "traditional" ceramic coatings and is just, if not more, prone to waterspotting as Guz suggests, then why use it??
    Mike lambert says his experience is just the opposite and 512detail has some "observations" of his own on the waterspotting.

As Accumulator always says, "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary)

Makes one wonder about the "perceived" protection afforded by the appearance of water beading. There is no doubt that intense hydroscopic water beading has long been an accepted standard for any carnauba wax that it was still there on the surface. The more round and small, the better, hence my use of the word "perceived". Perhaps "disillusion" would be better. I sometimes wonder if this ultra-hydroscopicity (ya, there is no such word, but it sounds good) is a contributor to waterspotting. It sure seems to be if my vehicles with wax on them sits out in the sun for an extended after a rain. That may be a different experience if a vehicle that is coated with SPS is driven while it is raining and the unique self-cleaning characteristics of this coating greatly diminishes this waterspotting. Just some "logical" thoughts on waterspotting.
    GB detailer
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    So after reading through this thread it seems that there are "conflicting" viewpoints from personal experiences with SPS coating.
    If it is does not last as long as "traditional" ceramic coatings and is just, if not more, prone to waterspotting as Guz suggests, then why use it??
    Mike lambert says his experience is just the opposite and 512detail has some "observations" of his own on the waterspotting.

As Accumulator always says, "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary)

Makes one wonder about the "perceived" protection afforded by the appearance of water beading. There is no doubt that intense hydroscopic water beading has long been an accepted standard for any carnauba wax that it was still there on the surface. The more round and small, the better, hence my use of the word "perceived". Perhaps "disillusion" would be better. I sometimes wonder if this ultra-hydroscopicity (ya, there is no such word, but it sounds good) is a contributor to waterspotting. It sure seems to be if my vehicles with wax on them sits out in the sun for an extended after a rain. That may be a different experience if a vehicle that is coated with SPS is driven while it is raining and the unique self-cleaning characteristics of this coating greatly diminishes this waterspotting. Just some "logical" thoughts on waterspotting.
    I think you might find that with any coating; I`ve never had `natural` water spotting issues (permanent that couldn`t be removed w/ a simple wash) on any coating I`ve used.

I did have an isolated incident once when my car was parked in the garage under a dirty, dusty copper water line and the cold water running through the line on a 90+ degree day caused condensation to drip from the line onto my hood. I pulled my coated car out into the sun to clean it off, an unexpected incident arose and hadda leave quickly, leaving my car out in full sun (again, 90+ degrees) for the next 48hrs. It left 3 spots that a water spot remover wouldn`t budge. When I got around to polishing the hood, the water spots were easily removed during the `spread the polish around` prelude to doing a section.

Maybe more regional as I`d guess getting hit by sprinklers on a hot sunny day in Florida (especially in an area...the Southeast perhaps) that is known for high Sulphur content in their municipal water wouldn`t be good for anyone.

I thought I heard a story once about Meguiars or some other mfg attempting to convince people that beading was NOT a sign of protection but the general public wasn`t having none of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Maybe more regional as I`d guess getting hit by sprinklers on a hot sunny day in Florida (especially in an area...the Southeast perhaps) that is known for high Sulphur content in their municipal water wouldn`t be good for anyone.

I thought I heard a story once about Meguiars or some other mfg attempting to convince people that beading was NOT a sign of protection but the general public wasn`t having none of that.
    Ask Sizzle Chest about the waterspotting problems he has seen on the vehicles he has detailed in Florida. It is exactly as you have stated.

This water beading phenomena is kind of an ingrained into the vehicle owner (and now lessee) public from the days of car waxes. It is in my mind, but I am old school. To have an LSP, regardless of its type, that has a sheeting water characteristic is almost loathed by the car-care product consumer for this reason.
    When some car-care manufacturer figures out an LSP formulation that has ultra-cleaning characteristics as the water runs and sheets off (NOT rolls; that is what beading does) and looks absolutely pristine and shiny after a rain from just sitting there on a vehicle, that would be the Holy Grail of LSPs.

Like I predicted (Oh ya, another title for Captain Obvious; "prophet") some day all cars will be base coat white and then factory-wrapped in a protective plastic film (PPF) with the myriad of colors for the car owner (lessee) to choose from. Don`t like the color the vehicle came with, change it. Some area has scratches or stone chips, just re-wrap that panel. I can foresee a type of film that sheets water and self-cleans and negates the need to wash if it rains (does not apply to southern California according to the 1970`s Albert Hammond song "It Never Rains in Southern California"). Keep dreaming, Captain Obvious.
    GB detailer
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I think you might find that with any coating; I`ve never had `natural` water spotting issues (permanent that couldn`t be removed w/ a simple wash) on any coating I`ve used.
    This has been my experience as well. I`ve never had any water spotting on a coated car from rain or sprinklers. However I have experienced some pretty nasty water spotting on cars with a sealant or wax. Collinite 845 even after a rain and sitting in the sun at work would water spot pretty badly. Those nice fat Collinite water beads looked cool, but yikes...the issues they caused.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Zaino products and that was one issue lots of people had with Zaino was the water beading caused water spots.

I kind of take water spotting with a grain of salt. I get them no matter what. Sometimes I get so tired of dealing with them I polish as best as I can and then just coat over the imperfections. At least I am getting protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This has been my experience as well. I`ve never had any water spotting on a coated car from rain or sprinklers. However I have experienced some pretty nasty water spotting on cars with a sealant or wax. Collinite 845 even after a rain and sitting in the sun at work would water spot pretty badly. Those nice fat Collinite water beads looked cool, but yikes...the issues they caused.
    You just jinxed yourself SPS Graphene coating. I said the same thing and boom water spots on various coatings.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post
    I used to use Zaino products and that was one issue lots of people had with Zaino was the water beading caused water spots.
    When our previous Corvette was smothered in Zaino, ended up with water spots etched into the paint. Woulda taken wet sanding and possibly more to fix em.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You just jinxed yourself SPS Graphene coating. I said the same thing and boom water spots on various coatings.
    I`ve noticed that...you never had any such issues but have mentioned them more recently. SPS Graphene coating

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post

I kind of take water spotting with a grain of salt. I get them no matter what. Sometimes I get so tired of dealing with them I polish as best as I can and then just coat over the imperfections. At least I am getting protection.
    @hawaiidude, I would PM you but it looks like you have that option disabled. Have a lead on a graphene coating on the island there. PM me. Can’t share the details with links on the site.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information