Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SPS Graphene coating

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    The risks are greater than the reward I`d suggest!

This is one of the reasons why I believe 5/8/10 year coatings are a waste of time - I have one, but it`ll come off as and when I feel it needs to.

Some element of mechanical decon would be required to maintain any sort of performance over that period and that itself is inherently unsafe, unless you were planning on using very mild abrasives and coating repair agents to build it back up afterwards.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Have you tried it? Hard to make suggestions about a product never used. Educated guess if not. I get what your saying abrading removed contaminants against the paint. Doesn’t sound safe but here are these products from 2 reputable companies.

No disrespect but i’d tend to believe Sizzle if it’s something he does. He’s probably done alot more cars with high end paint and if he’s saying he’s gonna do it to what i believe is a clients car must work for him....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Have you tried it? Hard to make suggestions about a product never used. Educated guess if not. I get what your saying abrading removed contaminants against the paint. Doesn’t sound safe but here are these products from 2 reputable companies.

No disrespect but i’d tend to believe Sizzle if it’s something he does. He’s probably done alot more cars with high end paint and if he’s saying he’s gonna do it to what i believe is a clients car must work for him....

Likewise defending something you`ve not tried is the same thing, right?

FWIW I`ve used extremely soft and what was sold to me as `hologram proof` clay as an experiment on medium hardness clear and while it didn`t marr as much as I expected, it did show under intense light on what was only mildly contaminated paint.

Haven`t used this product though the process as you say yourself, is inherently unsafe. But sure so is washing your car with a mitt and we all do it! There are so many factors, technique variations, type of bonded contaminant, customer expectations.. had this debate on another forum recently and I think we all need to take responsibility to caveat the guidance we post as people read this.

Separately, long life coatings aren`t really compatible with true OCD detailers like myself, I scrutinise them too much and expect too high a level of performance to let them clog or the paintwork dull, but there are benefits to the less enthusiastic person who just wants a `barrier` over their paint.

Don`t want to sidetrack a good and interesting thread. Claying coated paint to me is brave hence wanting to ask about the specifics SPS Graphene coating

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used extremely soft and what was sold to me as `hologram proof` clay as an experiment on medium hardness clear and while it didn`t marr as much as I expected, it did show under intense light on what was only mildly contaminated paint.

Haven`t used this product though the process as you say yourself, is inherently unsafe. But sure so is washing your car with a mitt and we all do it! Long life coatings aren`t really compatible with true OCD detailers like myself, I know too much about the subject and expect too high a level of performance, but there are benefits to the less enthusiastic person who just wants a barrier over their paint.

So you haven’t used. Got it. I’ll wait till here what Someone who has before i give it a shot.

Your basing your non experience of a product on a bad experience of a different one. Again i agree with you in theory it doesn’t sound right but My detailing OCD would love a product thought does work as these are suppose to. Removing bonded contamination monthly w/o damaging the coating would be an OCD’ers dream. Their are benefits to enthusiastic people who want to give a product a fair chance in hopes of finding the next amazing product....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    So you haven’t used. Got it. I’ll wait till here what Someone who has before i give it a shot.

Your basing your non experience of a product on a bad experience of a different one. Again i agree with you in theory it doesn’t sound right but My detailing OCD would love a product thought does work as these are suppose to. Removing bonded contamination monthly w/o damaging the coating would be an OCD’ers dream. Their are benefits to enthusiastic people who want to give a product a fair chance in hopes of finding the next amazing product....

You could take the softest wash mitt to a car covered in grit, wash it in the most logical manner with no pressure and that process would remain unsafe.

That`s my point - it`s not about the product used.. and it`s not a mitt, it`s clay. Repeat chemical decon for all but the most noticeable bonded contaminants is surely the most efficient and safest way these days? As are pre washes for your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

You could take the softest wash mitt to a car covered in grit, wash it in the most logical manner with no pressure and that process would remain unsafe.

That`s my point - it`s not about the product used.. and it`s not a mitt, it`s clay. Repeat chemical decon for all but the most noticeable bonded contaminants is surely the most efficient and safest way these days? As are pre washes for your paint.

I know you want to be right and maybe you are. Unless you have some kinda Scientific study to reference these products that are designed to clay lsp’s and not paint. I’m gonna go with Pinnacle, 22ple’s and someone who does this for a living opinion vs your estimations.

Happy detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

As kinda a funny tangent to this, along w/ a bit more info on the new versions, his reference to no proof reading involved the below message, which I will admit to finding a little curious as to the first line:

SPS Graphene coating-firstmsg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Was chatting w one of the SPS guys about V2, when I mentioned it just didnt come outta winter well enough for me, he suggested acid bath w water spot remover.

Thanks for the update.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Budget and Coatings=.

I will use 22ple clay. I have used it multiple times on different paints, with the worst case scenario being very minor marring on `softer` paint.

I will do a chemical decon first and access the results, if not satisfactory, I will clay. This is not a show car, it`s a daily driver that sits outside 24/7 and still looks darn good! See some of my pics in the previous pages, even after a year.

I`ll keep this thread updated with results as well as periodic `durability/life` posts.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Coatings=crack, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so how do I get this SPS Graphene coating? I would like to try it. Seems like a lot easier than some ceramics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post
    Ok so how do I get this SPS Graphene coating? I would like to try it. Seems like a lot easier than some ceramics.
    You need to be authorized to get your hands on it. You may be better off getting your hands the art de shine version which is the same thing.

Try contacting SPS on their site and see if you can get authorized.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so what consumer level product would you recommend? Art de shine?

Post Thanks / Like

The art de shine version says the graphene detailed lasts 2-3 months. Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post
    Ok so what consumer level product would you recommend? Art de shine?
    I have used SPS and the SPS detailer. Although they are nice products, I have seen no benefit to graphene coatings. They do have the nice characteristic of being slick but other than that I am going to say they are off to a good start but ceramics are still ahead as they have been around longer. Keep in mind that graphene coatings are ceramic that are infused with graphene oxide. if you desire to use a graphene coating then you have art de shine, adams, ethos, jade just released one, glassparency and xtreme solutions. Adams, Ethos, Jade and Xtreme solutions are blended by the same place B&B with slightly different characteristics to each manufactures specification. Art De shine gets recommended quite a bit over the others.

I will say that once SPS is impacted it starts to degrade rather quickly. It does need the help of the spray detailer to be durable.

If you are looking for a ceramic coating then I am going to recommend cquartz UK 3.0.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I was attracted to what sounded like an easier application. I currently use gtechniq csl/exo and would like to find something easier to apply.

I’ll keep an eye out.

is the detailed spray long lasting?

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised you find Gtechniq hard to apply. It is one of the easiest coatings to apply. Goes for both CSL and Exo. Perhaps the humidity is what is getting you. Adams is probably your best bet for ease of use. They preach one and done. Meaning one layer only. SPS can be a little tricky and I don`t know how Art De Shine is when it comes to application.

Eh nothing special about the SPS detail spray. I don`t care if it is long lasting as it can be used as often as needed.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Surprised you find Gtechniq hard to apply. It is one of the easiest coatings to apply. Goes for both CSL and Exo. Perhaps the humidity is what is getting you. Adams is probably your best bet for ease of use. They preach one and done. Meaning one layer only. SPS can be a little tricky and I don`t know how Art De Shine is when it comes to application.

Eh nothing special about the SPS detail spray. I don`t care if it is long lasting as it can be used as often as needed.

Ok Thank you. I guess it sounded like it was one coat and done.

I usually do one coat of CSL and 2 (or until I run out) of exo. I will continue to stick with that. This last coating on my truck has lasted really well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information