Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52
  1. #31
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Saw the recent mentions/updates on the Graphene, figrd time to wrap this one up.

    At the end of the day, it`s a very nice product, has some attributes that many will find pleasing; slickness, sharp gloss and very good hydrophobic & self cleaning characteristics.

    Not having really had any permanent water spotting issues w any coating here in my world, can`t really say if that aspect is better/worse than others I have tried. Winter (and maintenance neglect) seems to have taken a bit more of a toll on this car than our other coated daily driver, even after the late-Spring decon.

    Have actually washed this car a few times lately and it seems to take slightly more pressure on wash mitt to remove spots/?sap?/nature debris markings than our other daily driver, something I always noticed to a slight degree over my time with it.

    Judging from my experience in the last 13 months, I`d expect that if left to it`s own devices, it would likely be ready for a re-do right around 24 months/36k somewhat hard and neglectful miles.

    It was pretty much `on its own` from May 2019 thru late December 2019, no topping, no boosters, just foam with Gtech Citrus Foam and wash with CarPro Reset. Got the Graphene Detailer, a really nice, versatile product, and started using that for maintenance after washes in 2020, maybe 3 washes since in that time.

    I`m not ready (nor really in any position w regards to the technicalities of graphene) to say it`s definately the next greatest thing in coatings, something that`ll push all previous coatings aside but will say that it`s just a really good product whether it says Graphene on the label or not.

    It might not quite fit my situation over the long haul (3 years) for our daily drivers that are relatively neglected (in a maintenance sense) and sit outside most of their lives getting dumped on by Mother Nature; not sure it likes being ignored as much as a few other products.

    It kinda does bring up a question for me regarding toppers/boosters though as this is the first coated *personal* car that I rarely used them on. Our other similar-use car that sits outside w limited maintenance was/is always easier to clean up (less pressure on wash mitt) during the months it gets washed occasionally (April thru November); that thing is always slathered in Overcoat or Cosmic after a wash. Does that indicate using them has a real benefit besides the entertainment factor of doing so? Guess I`d have to try with the same exact products to find out for sure but an interesting point to consider, valid or not.

    If I work up the motivation, I`ll probably redo this car at some point this Summer but all in all, the Graphene was a pretty darn good product, just not sure it`s `revolutionary`...yet. Will it ever be a true quantum shift in coatings? Dunno the answer to that.

    Also have it on Van at work (02/2020 application) so will watch that going forward. That truck is one I only see once or twice a week but will be parked in late October thru Spring 2021 so will be able to see if not slogging thru a Winter (as opposed to my daily driver) will make a noticeable difference at its 1 year Anniversary next year.

    As with everything, nothing scientific or truly definitive here, just my opinion and YMMV.
    Likes atbalfour, The Guz, Loach liked this post

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Saw the recent mentions/updates on the Graphene, figrd time to wrap this one up.

    At the end of the day, it`s a very nice product, has some attributes that many will find pleasing; slickness, sharp gloss and very good hydrophobic & self cleaning characteristics.

    Not having really had any permanent water spotting issues w any coating here in my world, can`t really say if that aspect is better/worse than others I have tried. Winter (and maintenance neglect) seems to have taken a bit more of a toll on this car than our other coated daily driver, even after the late-Spring decon.

    Have actually washed this car a few times lately and it seems to take slightly more pressure on wash mitt to remove spots/?sap?/nature debris markings than our other daily driver, something I always noticed to a slight degree over my time with it.

    Judging from my experience in the last 13 months, I`d expect that if left to it`s own devices, it would likely be ready for a re-do right around 24 months/36k somewhat hard and neglectful miles.

    It was pretty much `on its own` from May 2019 thru late December 2019, no topping, no boosters, just foam with Gtech Citrus Foam and wash with CarPro Reset. Got the Graphene Detailer, a really nice, versatile product, and started using that for maintenance after washes in 2020, maybe 3 washes since in that time.

    I`m not ready (nor really in any position w regards to the technicalities of graphene) to say it`s definately the next greatest thing in coatings, something that`ll push all previous coatings aside but will say that it`s just a really good product whether it says Graphene on the label or not.

    It might not quite fit my situation over the long haul (3 years) for our daily drivers that are relatively neglected (in a maintenance sense) and sit outside most of their lives getting dumped on by Mother Nature; not sure it likes being ignored as much as a few other products.

    It kinda does bring up a question for me regarding toppers/boosters though as this is the first coated *personal* car that I rarely used them on. Our other similar-use car that sits outside w limited maintenance was/is always easier to clean up (less pressure on wash mitt) during the months it gets washed occasionally (April thru November); that thing is always slathered in Overcoat or Cosmic after a wash. Does that indicate using them has a real benefit besides the entertainment factor of doing so? Guess I`d have to try with the same exact products to find out for sure but an interesting point to consider, valid or not.

    If I work up the motivation, I`ll probably redo this car at some point this Summer but all in all, the Graphene was a pretty darn good product, just not sure it`s `revolutionary`...yet. Will it ever be a true quantum shift in coatings? Dunno the answer to that.

    Also have it on Van at work (02/2020 application) so will watch that going forward. That truck is one I only see once or twice a week but will be parked in late October thru Spring 2021 so will be able to see if not slogging thru a Winter (as opposed to my daily driver) will make a noticeable difference at its 1 year Anniversary next year.

    As with everything, nothing scientific or truly definitive here, just my opinion and YMMV.
    Agree with your point about maintenance products. I`ve never had water spotting issues, never had to scrub hard with a mitt and found the car has significantly less fallout and tar adhered to the surface when it comes to decon.

    That said I have always asked myself whether they last better, worse when applied over a ceramic base than standalone.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, William_Wallace liked this post

  3. #33
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Agree with your point about maintenance products. I`ve never had water spotting issues, never had to scrub hard with a mitt and found the car has significantly less fallout and tar adhered to the surface when it comes to decon.

    That said I have always asked myself whether they last better, worse when applied over a ceramic base than standalone.
    One thing I`ve noticed w reagards to toppers/boosters is that their effectiveness in lasting hydrophobic performance and longevity seems to decrease as the underlying coating fades/dies.

    Not sure what that says about the coating or topper but it certainly does happen in my little corner of the Universe.

  4. #34
    bodidly22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Doreen, Victoria Australia
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    well done for subjective honesty Budget

    Likes johnboy liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

  5. #35
    acuRAS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    One thing I`ve noticed w reagards to toppers/boosters is that their effectiveness in lasting hydrophobic performance and longevity seems to decrease as the underlying coating fades/dies.

    Not sure what that says about the coating or topper but it certainly does happen in my little corner of the Universe.
    Iíve noticed the same. If applying a maintenance as standalone, at least two coats up front and a few more to layer on itself improves the performance noticeably. And topping on a coating (or my case, Cancoat) definitely helps the topper be itís best self.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  6. #36
    Sizzle Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    ONE YEAR (AND CHANGE) UPDATE!!!

    Coating is still going strong. A few areas on the vertical panels are not as hydrophobic as these horizontal panels. But it is still going strong and doing well. Vehicle sits outside 24/7 and is just washed `normally`, ie: 2BW, that`s it.








    Still pretty impressed with this!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Loach, William_Wallace, BudgetPlan1, HCF liked this post

  7. #37
    William_Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    ONE YEAR (AND CHANGE) UPDATE!!!

    Coating is still going strong. A few areas on the vertical panels are not as hydrophobic as these horizontal panels. But it is still going strong and doing well. Vehicle sits outside 24/7 and is just washed `normally`, ie: 2BW, that`s it.








    Still pretty impressed with this!
    i think that looks great thx for update I love reading updates on the coating once they get out there. Probably most of us on here don have water spot issues on personal cars with normal coating or graphene. I think most of the water spotting issues are for client cars who don’t maintain them.

    if you keep do updates that would be good reads!

  8. #38
    wannafbody
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    It depends on the water quality. Hard water can reek havoc if it isn`t wiped off.

  9. #39
    William_Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    It depends on the water quality. Hard water can reek havoc if it isn`t wiped off.
    Yea I have seen some photos people show of nasty water spots from leaving it next to sprinkler.

    I still gets some waters spots on windows and roof of my SUV to dang high where I can’t get to it all the time. So it’s either hard water or being lazy.

  10. #40
    Sizzle Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    One year and 3 month update: Static hydrophobic properties are starting to diminish.(sitting after rain) Dynamic hydrophobic properties are still very good. (driving after rain/during rain)

    The coating is not self-cleaning as well as it did in the past either.

    I suspect that it may be clogged. It has sat outside the entire time and has been subjected to our blazing sun/UV rays, massive amounts of rain, a couple hurricanes and a few tropical storms, pine pollen season, it is now `regular` pollen season. So...I feel that it`s time for perhaps an iron decon bath, and maybe some super mild/coating friendly clay and see what that does for it.

    Updates in the coming weeks...

    Stay tuned!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes DaveT435, Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    One year and 3 month update: Static hydrophobic properties are starting to diminish.(sitting after rain) Dynamic hydrophobic properties are still very good. (driving after rain/during rain)

    The coating is not self-cleaning as well as it did in the past either.

    I suspect that it may be clogged. It has sat outside the entire time and has been subjected to our blazing sun/UV rays, massive amounts of rain, a couple hurricanes and a few tropical storms, pine pollen season, it is now `regular` pollen season. So...I feel that it`s time for perhaps an iron decon bath, and maybe some super mild/coating friendly clay and see what that does for it.

    Updates in the coming weeks...

    Stay tuned!
    Educate me.. what exactly is a coating friendly clay..

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  12. #42
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post

    The coating is not self-cleaning as well as it did in the past either.

    I suspect that it may be clogged. It has sat outside the entire time and has been subjected to our blazing sun/UV rays, massive amounts of rain, a couple hurricanes and a few tropical storms, pine pollen season, it is now `regular` pollen season. So...I feel that it`s time for perhaps an iron decon bath, and maybe some super mild/coating friendly clay and see what that does for it.

    Updates in the coming weeks...

    Stay tuned!
    Was chatting w one of the SPS guys about V2, when I mentioned it just didnt come outta winter well enough for me, he suggested acid bath w water spot remover.

    Thanks for the update.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Was chatting w one of the SPS guys about V2, when I mentioned it just didnt come outta winter well enough for me, he suggested acid bath w water spot remover.

    Thanks for the update.
    If you have a look at Labocosmetica`s 3pH system it would make sense too!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Educate me.. what exactly is a coating friendly clay..

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Pinnacle ultra poly clay (ultra fine) is suppose to be safe for waxed surfaces so should be good for coated surfaces.


    https://www.autogeek.net/ultra-fine-poly-clay.html


    22ple actually makes a clay to clay coatings... donít know if its any different. Not sold by AG so youíll have to google it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SPS Graphene coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Pinnacle ultra poly clay (ultra fine) is suppose to be safe for waxed surfaces so should be good for coated surfaces.


    https://www.autogeek.net/ultra-fine-poly-clay.html


    22ple actually makes a clay to clay coatings... donít know if its any different. Not sold by AG so youíll have to google it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The risks are greater than the reward I`d suggest!

    This is one of the reasons why I believe 5/8/10 year coatings are a waste of time - I have one, but it`ll come off as and when I feel it needs to.

    Some element of mechanical decon would be required to maintain any sort of performance over that period and that itself is inherently unsafe, unless you were planning on using very mild abrasives and coating repair agents to build it back up afterwards.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Review - SPS Graphene Coating
    By The Guz in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-18-2020, 10:28 PM
  2. Graphene: A quick review
    By rlmccarty2000 in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2020, 10:05 PM
  3. SPS Graphene Coating
    By BudgetPlan1 in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-12-2020, 02:39 PM
  4. 2016 Camaro SS SPS Graphene coating
    By DaveT435 in forum The Detailers Showcase
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-08-2019, 05:04 AM
  5. Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating and Wheel Coating
    By Pats300zx in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •