wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather Therapy leather restorer...

The leather in my TA is approaching 20 years old. It was never a high grade leather like King Ranch or soft automotive leather. Maybe that isn`t such a bad thing, it`s held up surprisingly well. But it is hard as cardboard. I`ve tried various leather cleaners and conditioners and they work OK. I was at Tractor Supply and found Leather Therapy Leather Restorer. It`s pricey at $20 but new leather is $1000 so I figured it was worth a try. First off this doesn`t look to be a water based cream. It`s oily, maybe it has neetsfoot oil in it, maybe it`s mink oil, I`m not really sure but it worked surprisingly well. If your leather is over 10 years old I`d suggest giving this a try.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather Therapy leather restorer...

Ha, my old 1990 GM had some leather trim on the door panel that was hard as a rock like that. When I wanted to sell the car, I decided to try some old Lexol I had, and to my amazement it softened it right up.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, at 20YO that leather is just getting nicely broken in Yes indeed, you can soften up "hard as cardboard coated leather", I`ve done it plenty of times. I bet the leather in my Tahoe is about the same as in that TA (and in Setec`s GM too), and despite everybody saying "you`ll just have to replace that!" it`s still fine cracks/damage and all. Never got *any* worse that I can tell despite years really hard use since I got it.

wannafbody- I won`t snipe at any product that did what you wanted it to do. Glad you found something you like. I do hope it`s not *too* oily, but eh that`s just me.

Setec Astronomy- Glad the Lexol worked for you despite my [INSERT usual rant about Accumulator`s utter hatred of Lexol]

Post Thanks / Like

Nice info thanks. Not a “softener” - but gearing up for a review of this: Color Restorer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Setec Astronomy- Glad the Lexol worked for you despite my [INSERT usual rant about Accumulator`s utter hatred of Lexol]
    I hate the stuff too, it smelled spoiled...I honestly don`t know where it came from, I don`t remember buying it. I think that was the only time I used it, I still have the bottle.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

It is really oily but I`ve let it sit for several days to soak in. Just buff it off with a suede nap mf and it`s good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

we use Lexol exclusively on our football/soccer cleats with Kangaroo leather so that they stay soft.
    If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine. - <b>Ernesto Che Guevara</b>

Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique Leather care is the product used by the high end British crowd to soften cardboard hard Connelly leather.
    Likes panapower liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One of the practical issues I have with Lexol is the way it can oversoften some leathers. My dad ruined several pairs of moccasins with it and I`d sure NEVER use it on a holster that`s for serious work.

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Leatherique Leather care is the product used by the high end British crowd to soften cardboard hard Connelly leather.
    By *some* of those folks...Yours Truly goes a different route on Connelly leather Actually, I`m thinking more of the `93 Audis Connelly than my XJS`s though.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using Lexol long ago. I foolishly bought the large bottle and had to throw it out because it started to smell horribly spoiled.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn`t really thrilled with Lexol either. I have used Meetsfoot Oil but it`s a greasy mess better suited for uncoated leather. Products that contain mink oil do work on coated leather, such as Zaino Z9 and Z10.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information