Post Thanks / Like

What`s the closest coating to Opti-Coat?

Had such a great experience years ago that I had applied on a vehicle I no longer own, circa 2004, I was wondering what has come the closest to Opti-Coat at a more reasonable price?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s the closest coating to Opti-Coat?

From Optimum the only consumer coating available is Gloss Coat.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    From Optimum the only consumer coating available is Gloss Coat.
    I`m not sure that`s answering the question (although you are accurate).

If the OP is talking about OC 2.0, that was a "watered down" version of Opti-Coat Pro (depending on who was answering the question). As I understand it, Opti-Coat Pro is a SiC coating, while Gloss-Coat and all other consumer coatings are SiO2 (Optimum refers to Gloss-Coat as a "hybrid" coating).

Guz, I think you have tried more coatings than anyone, I presume you used OC 2.0 in the day--what coating available today do you think the OP would be happy with if the only one he used previously was OC 2.0?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    ...[I wonder]..what coating available today.. the OP would be happy with if the only one he used previously was OC 2.0?
    I was wondering that exact same thing when I found my GlossCoat (which did work well for me on wheels) had gone bad. I bought 22ple VM1, but haven`t used it and kinda feel Buyer`s Remorse as it seems like the answer to a Q that I`m not asking. BUT for somebody who wants all the features of a (good) coating, including marring-resistance, I keep thinking there must be *some* coating that ticks all the boxes...just don`t know what it could be. I hope someone has a good, definitive answer to this one so BCGreen can buy the right thing (the first time).

Post Thanks / Like

If the OP is talking about OC 2.0, that was a "watered down" version of Opti-Coat Pro (depending on who was answering the question). As I understand it, Opti-Coat Pro is a SiC coating, while Gloss-Coat and all other consumer coatings are SiO2 (Optimum refers to Gloss-Coat as a "hybrid" coating).

Guz, I think you have tried more coatings than anyone, I presume you used OC 2.0 in the day--what coating available today do you think the OP would be happy with if the only one he used previously was OC 2.0?
    Gloss Coat is and SiC/SiO2 hybrid coating. If the op wants to stay with optimum then Gloss Coat is the only product available from them.

Each person has different environment so not all coatings will perform the same. For me I would say Cquartz 3.0. Much better than Gloss Coat.

I am 50/50 on 22ple VX Pro2 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I was wondering that exact same thing when I found my GlossCoat (which did work well for me on wheels) had gone bad. I bought 22ple VM1, but haven`t used it and kinda feel Buyer`s Remorse as it seems like the answer to a Q that I`m not asking.
    You won’t know unless you try.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No OC pro in 2004.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I was wondering that exact same thing when I found my GlossCoat (which did work well for me on wheels) had gone bad. I bought 22ple VM1, but haven`t used it and kinda feel Buyer`s Remorse as it seems like the answer to a Q that I`m not asking. BUT for somebody who wants all the features of a (good) coating, including marring-resistance, I keep thinking there must be *some* coating that ticks all the boxes...just don`t know what it could be. I hope someone has a good, definitive answer to this one so BCGreen can buy the right thing (the first time).
    You`re the one to recommend Opti-Coat to me in 2004 or 2005.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Guz;2161567]Gloss Coat is and SiC/SiO2 hybrid coating. If the op wants to stay with optimum then Gloss Coat is the only product available from them.

Not wanting to necessarily stick with Optimum, I just mentioned it because it was such a wonderful product, especially on my then extremely soft black paint. After washing, the vehicle was just awesome to look at, so nice that it looked as if I spent a couple of days doing a full detail, and all I did was just wash and dried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I`m pretty sure Opti-Coat didn`t come out until well after 2007. If you want Opti-Coat you can go to an authorized installer--but it`s expensive.

GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat always got rave reviews in the older threads. Gloss Coat gets no love from any detailers. I wonder why Optimum doesn’t come out with a consumer Opti-Coat? Are they doing that much business on the Pro side that they don’t need to sell anything to consumers? Seems like they are losing market share.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Opti-Coat always got rave reviews in the older threads. Gloss Coat gets no love from any detailers. I wonder why Optimum doesn’t come out with a consumer Opti-Coat? Are they doing that much business on the Pro side that they don’t need to sell anything to consumers? Seems like they are losing market share.
    Hi Bob...they had a consumer Opti-Coat, it was Opti-Coat 2.0. Apparently the pro installer lobby in Dr. G`s ear got him to kill it because unlicensed installers were installing "the same thing". OC 2.0 was replaced by Gloss-Coat. It was a sad day for some of us.

Remember, Dr. G comes from the paint business, he has always been after the mfr./dealer market, so I`d say to some extent the consumer market for Optimum takes a back seat to manufacturers, dealers, and detailing shops.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty sure Opti-Coat didn`t come out until well after 2007. If you want Opti-Coat you can go to an authorized installer--but it`s expensive.

GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!
    You`re probably right with that date, all I know it was pretty soon after purchasing the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You won’t know..[whether you like the 22ple vm1].. unless you try.
    Yeah..problem is that the wheels I`d planned to coat with it would be a *huge* job to do. It sure was with the OptiCoat (and I don`t mean just a few hours), and that was before my, uhm...new normal vision

I`ll find *something* to use it on, or at least I hope I get around to it before *that* one goes bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen
    It seemed like a great solution, and I`ve always remembered that "Infinities have soft clear" every time I`m tempted by an old M or Q sedan.

Thread Information