Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - SPS Graphene Coating

First of all I have to thank fellow forum member Dave aka DaveT435 for sending this product for me to tryout and test out.

Product:

SPS Graphene Coating

The coating comes in a nice box.

The rear of the box states what the coating offers.

The box once it is opened.

A pamphlet is included as part of the packaging with more information on the coating.

Lets break things down here.

First thing is a description of graphene.

Benefits of the coating.

Additional benefits.

Capabilities of the coating. We see it is a 5 year coating with a duration of 2 years for its hydrophobic properties. Meaning it will lose it’s beading, sheeting and self cleaning effect before the full protection is gone.

We get information on the contact angle, hardness, curing time frame,the average consumption per coat and overall thickness. Some will say oh it is only 7H hardness. In reality don’t buy into coating hardness too much. All coatings can scratch and swirl with improper care.

As shown it can be used on a variety of surfaces. I did test it on one of the matte 392 emblems on the recent dodge charger I did. It did not alter the appearance of the matte vinyl graphic. It left it with a rich deeper black color.

We also see the chemical resistance.

Finally the durability with an estimated number of washes.

It clearly darkens the paint as seen on this black paint.

I applied 2 coats on my daily driver. I could not see this change in color as I did with black paint. I will be testing this for about 8 months before I polish it again. So I will have somewhat of a long term test with it.

I applied it to this black Dodge Charger

2017 Dodge Charger 393 Daytona

An idea of what the beading looks like. It has been on the paint for 3 weeks already at this point.

Final thoughts:

Again thanks to Dave for sending this out to me.

It is a dark colored liquid. Essentially black in color. Don`t be alarmed as it will not change toe color of the paint black. It goes on clear like any other coating.

The ease of application for this product is very good. It goes on easy and levels just as easy. It does apply a little differently than the typical coating in terms of the amount of cross hatch patterns that is needed. In my conditions I was able to do one left and right pass and one up and down pass. I was then able to level the coating in 30 seconds. Anything longer and the leveling became harder to remove. A little does go a long way with this coating.

Dave had mentioned that a damp towel is needed. In a hot climate this maybe needed but I did not find the need to use that method.

When it flashes, it sort of melts into the paint as the carrier solvents flash off the surface.

This coating is slick upon leveling. It is easy to tell what areas have been coated compared to those that are uncoated. I would rate its slickness just under Gyeon Skin and slightly above Gliss V2. Unlike Skin and Gliss, SPS is a base layer coating that is slick without the need of a topper like Skin and Gliss.

GTechniqCrystal Serum Light and Gyeon Mohs come to mind with a coating that has some decent slickness. SPS is slicker and has better hydrophobic properties than either of these coatings. GTechniq Exo V3 is often used to give that nice beading to CSL as CSL is more of a sheeting type product. SPS is slicker than Exo V3 and has tighter beading compared to Exo V3.

Cquartz UK 3.0 and TiO2 have very good water beading on their own but SPS has tighter beading. The slickness of these Cquartz coatings doesn’t compare to SPS.

Thus far the coating has impressive slickness about a month in. It has a good self cleaning effect. Both of these will be monitored to see how they degrade.

Dave does not like when I say it is an authorized installer coating. Well it is as one has to contact the manufacturer to become an installer of the coating. For those wanting more information, SPS can be found on facebook under SPS Coatings where contact information can be found.

For those curious about the actual water behavior see the following video.

Fast Forward to 7:05

Alternate reviews

SPS Graphene Coating

Graphene: A quick review
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Loach, Myriad, SWETM, SuperBee364 and 3 others liked this post
    Thanks Loach, Myriad, Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - SPS Graphene Coating

Always the best, nicely done, Guz
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Guz - always appreciate the thoroughness and thoughtfulness of your write ups. And your (and Budgetplan’s) encyclopedia-like knowledge of the different coatings and their traits!

I like that they’re honest/clear with their info, namely calling out that it’s on the pencil test for the hardness scale.

Do we know if this stuff has any strange behavior/requirements when it comes time to polish/compound off? IE: isn’t one that practically requires wet sanding to remove, or gums up pads when polishing?

Thanks again!
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review and info! Appreciate the time you took to put this together!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing and for the detailed review. 125% contact angle is quite impressive on paper. Initial behavior seems extremely good. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. Based on the ease of your application I`d be surprised if they don`t go full consumer at some point in the future, but who knows. Will be interested to follow along with the updates.

Thus far how would you rate the self cleaning and hydrophobicity of this coating vs Gliss V2?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    As always thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Guz - always appreciate the thoroughness and thoughtfulness of your write ups. And your (and Budgetplan’s) encyclopedia-like knowledge of the different coatings and their traits!

I like that they’re honest/clear with their info, namely calling out that it’s on the pencil test for the hardness scale.

Do we know if this stuff has any strange behavior/requirements when it comes time to polish/compound off? IE: isn’t one that practically requires wet sanding to remove, or gums up pads when polishing?

Thanks again!
    Thanks. Hopefully Dave comes in to answer the question of removal. The applicator did get hard but stayed rather flexible. The coating even mentions that it is flexible. What that tells me is that it can be removed by polishing. I won`t know until I polish it off towards the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Excellent review and info! Appreciate the time you took to put this together!
    Thanks. Thanks for sending me out that bottle. Dave ended up sending me the latest version and I sent him back the one you originally sent. This newest version is nice to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
    Thanks for sharing and for the detailed review. 125% contact angle is quite impressive on paper. Initial behavior seems extremely good. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. Based on the ease of your application I`d be surprised if they don`t go full consumer at some point in the future, but who knows. Will be interested to follow along with the updates.

Thus far how would you rate the self cleaning and hydrophobicity of this coating vs Gliss V2?
    SPS beats Gliss in hydrophobics and I give the edge to SPS in the self cleaning aspect.
    Likes Loach liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

2 month update on the coatings behavior. Still beading and sheeting like day one. The slickness has diminished but otherwise the coating is performing very well.

Washed with Hyper Wash this past weekend. No toppers have been used on this coating.

Thanks BudgetPlan1, Oneheadlite, Loach, waynvision thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Before I went on my unplanned detailing hiatus, I had been experimenting with using an air brush to spray on the then-new coatings. This one looks to be a very good candidate for such an alternative application method. Here in the desert southwest, it`s so hot and dry that wipe-on application of coatings becomes a bit challenging, as the carrier solvents flash off so quickly. It`ll be 108F with around 12% humidity today.

I contacted SPS about purchasing their graphene based coating, but doubt that they`ll approve a sale to a non-approved "installer". We`ll see.

Regardless, what a great write-up! Thank you very much. This definitely looks like a coating that`s worth watching.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz, Loach, SWETM, DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@DaveT435 I would love to *purchase* (not looking for a freebie) this to try out my alternative airbrush application method. PM me if you`d allow this to happen!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like

I had new tires installed so why not polish and recoat. Each wheel has a different coating to compare against SPS.

Likes Loach, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^Your wheels look to be in exquisite condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I had new tires installed so why not polish and recoat. Each wheel has a different coating to compare against SPS.

Any new updates on the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

250 ml is $179. Yikes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    ^^Your wheels look to be in exquisite condition.
    They have had some sort of coating on them since I got them a few years ago which helps keeping them clean. I clean, polish and recoat them every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Any new updates on the paint?
    Seems to be doing well from the last time I paid attention to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis hiip View Post
    250 ml is $179. Yikes
    For the coating? Thats about $35 per 50ml. Seems like a decent price. I got 2 layers with about 30% of bottle left out of a 50ml bottle of CQUK3.0

Thats like 6-8 vehicles.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information