Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SPS Graphene Coating

Got a chance to try the recently released SPS Graphene Coating.

Can’t really speak to the science behind it (well, aside from it contains graphene) but you can contact SPS (Surface Protective Solutions) directly at SPS - Surface Protective Solutions - SPS Home if you desire more information. While I’ve never spoke directly to them, I have exchanged messages/discussions and they are a great bunch of folks, appear to be very passionate about their products, far more so than in just a marketing/sales sense. It’s not a widely available product and is currently restricted to Authorized/Approved installers only with exceptions….Thanks to DaveT435 for the ‘exception’ so I could give it a go.
    SPS Graphene Coating-sps-bottle.jpg

I have no vested interest in SPS as a company, their products or company organization and policies but the prospect of trying something new was appealing to me. Additionally, this was not a complimentary/free product to me, I paid for the product with my own $$ to satisfy my curiosity and they/Dave were kind enough to oblige.

Most likely want to know exactly how/what graphene is claimed to offer as a coating choice. Below is the insert from the product packaging which provides the technical info, longevity and benefits and such:

SPS Graphene Coating-sps-info.jpg

Product itself is a dark liquid in a clear bottle so that’s a bit different:
    SPS Graphene Coating-sps-contents.jpg

Application: Kinda decided to use it on my daily driver, a Crystal Black Pearl 2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe. I had coated this in Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM back in July 2017 but after 40k miles, it was starting to fade. Was gonna re-do with Miyabi + Zipang but when this opportunity came up, figr’d my heavily used daily driver would be a pretty extreme rolling test panel. This car now sits outside 24/7 for 8 months outta the year and travels 80 miles daily on my commute to work. This commute is on 4 of the busiest freeways in the NE Ohio area, 2 of which are constantly under construction with a 3rd scheduled for construction this year. Car sees extensive amounts of road salt, brine and chemical de-icer during the winter, ‘clean water falling from bridge’ in the summer (whatever the heck that means but I can assure you, it’s not very clean after all), construction dirt and gravel and all sorts of other stuff that really takes its toll on paintwork.

The application is a bit different (per instructions anyway) than a standard cross-hatch coating application. It is suggested to work the product into the surface so It’s actually more like applying wax with circular motions of the applicator pad. Nanolex Si3D is the closest in application style that I have used previously. So that’s what I did, using a 3x5 Autofiber ‘Coating Saver’ microfiber pad.

The application environment was somewhat less than ideal as Summer decided to make a rare appearance in NE Ohio that day, with temperatures in the low 80’s F. Add to that strong winds carrying loads of pollen and I hadda keep the garage door mostly closed to keep from covering the in-process vehicle in dust, pollen and other nonsense that trees shed in the Spring. Probably was around 85 F in the garage for most of the application process.

Application for the first layer went fine, could do a fender at a time, split the somewhat long doors into 2 sections and half the roof and half the hood was stretching the area covered; would much likely be a little less restricted if temps in lower 60’s or so but in the end, no problems. Removed/leveled product pretty much without wait time after working into the area for a minute or two. Used the 300gsm Eagle Edgeless for initial removal, followed by the low pile side of an Eagle Creature Edgeless for the second clean up wiping and then one final go with an Eagle Edgeless 350gsm for good measure. Installation recommendations indicate a final wipe with a damp towel to remove any blotchiness but didn’t find that necessary. The first layer left the surface nicely slick and very reflective on the black paint:
    SPS Graphene Coating-sps-reflection-trunk.jpg

The second layer was done as the first, slightly less product usage and surface was smoother and slicker from first application on bare paint so it was gliding better. I did pick up some very, very light hazing residue after 2nd layer application removal/leveling here and there (experienced this a bit when using 22ple Finitura) but was easily removed by very, very, VERY light buffing with a CLEAN low-pile towel, almost barely touching the surface. When done, no ‘starburst’ evident in Scangrip penlight when shined closely on surface.

Not sure what all is in this coating or how it affects towels so I just tossed the towels I used during application/removal…I have WAY too many towels anyway. I didn’t notice the applicators crisp up a couple hours after application, unknown if they woulda hardened overnite ‘cuz I tossed them in the garbage when finished. For 2 layers on Accord went through about 25ml of product so probably get 2 average vehicles (whatever average is anymore) with 2 coats each.

End result is a very slick surface, has kinda a substantial feel to it almost like a thick, heavy piece of glass. Slickness is very, very nice…a bit slicker than CarPro Gliss but not as crazy slick as Gyeon Syncro after application. I gave it a quick look this morning in the garage and it appears as if slickness increased a touch, kinda along the lines of Polish Angel Rapidwaxx (or probably any decent spray wax).

Anyway, will watch going forward but pretty impressive at application time. The Guz also has this on a test panel I believe so perhaps he can mention his thoughts. Easy, enjoyable application, great reflections and for a straight-outta-the-bottle single component product, the slickness is excellent.

Interesting to say the least…can’t wait for it to rain now.

Will maintain going forward with Foam, Bucket Wash w Bathe, Reset or Kami Shampoo and no toppers or boosters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Coleroad, PearTree, SWETM, MattPersman, Diner and 3 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SPS Graphene Coating

Nicely done, Budget
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review as usual! As far as the applicators crisping up, they won’t. I’ll have to actually verify that by leaving one out, but I don’t think they will. Graphene is flexible. If you open the bottle you used you should find more of a rubbery substance around the neck of the bottle instead of the normal crust and shards, this I have done.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I found the applicator to crisp up a bit as I let it sit out for a few days. Nothing crazy like Cquartz.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool review/info!
    Interested in periodic updates!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Cool review/info!
    Interested in periodic updates!
    Thanks. It was intriguing enough that I decided to use it on my own car so I`ll get to see it everyday, treat it like a normal car, watch it play out. It certainly will get the miles put on it.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work, review, and thoughts !!! Thanks B/P-1 !!!

Your Accord roof = wow - beautiful !!!

I read that it says Shelf Life = 6 Months after opening... Is this product so new that no one knows what happens to it after 6 months ??
    That would be a problem for me if it goes bad after 6 months..

Will have to go do some more research on Graphene.. I know the other ingredient PDMS is silicone..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

ooooh.... how exiting - Here`s hoping graphene can do what silicon dioxide struggles with - 💧💧💧

Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review write up!

Very interesting to see a new product go to a choice to the useally ceramic coatings.

Saw in the description of the product that it can be bonded up to 5 years. But the hydrophobic part of the coating up to 2 years. Is there a product that you maintain the hydrophobic caractics of the coating so it match the bonding part of what I think would be the graphene part?

I know that the PDMS is not knowned to be crazy durable. And if this silicone is the hydrophobic layer of the coating. I think that it`s going to be needed to be maintained as in being topped up on a somewhat regualar basis 6 months or yearly maybe. It can be that it bonds harder to the graphene part the PDMS. And also change slightly in the chemical string to get more durable. But it`s used on it`s own and in many coating toppers for maintain the hydrophobic caractics of the coating or LSP you have. And there can be other chemicals in it that makes the hydrophobic durability longer than it`s useally is. Not a deal breaker with the PDMS. But it`s a quite common product to create a ceramic coating behavior and looks. And since many decide if a LSP is done when the hydrophobic caractics of it is done. It can be hard to convince people that the graphene is still there and doing it`s thing. If the graphene part has a good beading and sheeting on it`s own it should be good I think. But if it`s rather flat hydrophobicity then it can be a real problem depending on how long the hydrophobicity part is holding up in the real world with no toppings done. This is just not a problem on this product but a problem on all LSPs. If the hydrophobic caractics low down the road. How will you know that if it`s something still there to protect the paint. The easiest is to use the beading and sheeting behavior. But also not certain that the LSP is not protecting any more. On some LSP you can see it on the darkening effect if it`s still there. But that useally meens you will be polishing a little area on the paint to see the difference. Just some thoughts about it from an information junkie LOL.

Will be awesome to follow your experience with this Budgetplan!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

First I want to say, unlike most companies marketing coatings, these guys prefer to under promise and over deliver. We know in most cases that’s not the way it works. I’m not sure how much the hydrophobic properties are going to die off at two years or how ever long that may be. As far as the product being gone when hydrophobic properties drop off. Most people know the main function of the coating is still there. That being protecting the paint from chemical and environmental materials that damage the paint. I’m one of those people who wants the paint slick and extremely hydrophobic.

There will probably be a maintenance product of some sort. The owner of the company is deciding. The last comment I saw on the matter was that he isn’t sure it’s needed and he didn’t want to sell us, us meaning detailers buying from him, a product we don’t need. Their QD will give months of protection and hydrophobic properties. I’m going to use it after every two or three washes to see if it helps durability of the hydrophobic properties, I’m sure it will, just not sure how much.

It will be interesting to see the durability of the self healing property when that product is released.

A couple nice things about joining the SPS team. One is that it’s a fairly small company and the chemist is continually looking for ways to improve the product. Someone complimented him on the product the other day on the FB page and his response was “I’ll make it better”. They are small enough that changes can happen pretty quickly. The other thing is you have the ability to talk directly with the chemist. So these things you’re questioning could certainly be answered SWETM. I know the Polish brand has a FB page also. I’m not sure if you can communicate directly with the chemist on there.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    ooooh.... how exiting - Here`s hoping graphene can do what silicon dioxide struggles with - 
    We we certainly see...this car will see many "Rain in the morning, sit out in the sun in the afternoon events"

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great work, review, and thoughts !!! Thanks B/P-1 !!!

Your Accord roof = wow - beautiful !!!

I read that it says Shelf Life = 6 Months after opening... Is this product so new that no one knows what happens to it after 6 months ??
    That would be a problem for me if it goes bad after 6 months..

Will have to go do some more research on Graphene.. I know the other ingredient PDMS is silicone..
    Dan F
    After doing that section of the car, I was convinced that although prep certainly plays a role in final outcome, this certainly helped the clarity and reflection. I`m OK and all at polishing but have never seen a panel I did look that good. I had a bit of an ordeal on the final refining/polishing with this car. Things I tried for that final little bit of `ooomph`

Angelwax Redemption, Scholl S40, Rupes Diamond, Kamikaze Ichiban, HD Polish+ on Rupes Yellow, Rupes White, Kamikaze Black, LC Crimson Hydrotech, Scholl Honey Spider, LC Force black. In the end the Ichiban on the LC Force black cleaned up the last little bit the nicest. Safe bet that I`ll never buy a black Honda again.

Lotsa graphene info here, not that I understand a lick of it: https://www.graphene-info.com

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great review write up!

Very interesting to see a new product go to a choice to the useally ceramic coatings.

Saw in the description of the product that it can be bonded up to 5 years. But the hydrophobic part of the coating up to 2 years. Is there a product that you maintain the hydrophobic caractics of the coating so it match the bonding part of what I think would be the graphene part?

I know that the PDMS is not knowned to be crazy durable. And if this silicone is the hydrophobic layer of the coating. I think that it`s going to be needed to be maintained as in being topped up on a somewhat regualar basis 6 months or yearly maybe. It can be that it bonds harder to the graphene part the PDMS. And also change slightly in the chemical string to get more durable. But it`s used on it`s own and in many coating toppers for maintain the hydrophobic caractics of the coating or LSP you have. And there can be other chemicals in it that makes the hydrophobic durability longer than it`s useally is. Not a deal breaker with the PDMS. But it`s a quite common product to create a ceramic coating behavior and looks. And since many decide if a LSP is done when the hydrophobic caractics of it is done. It can be hard to convince people that the graphene is still there and doing it`s thing. If the graphene part has a good beading and sheeting on it`s own it should be good I think. But if it`s rather flat hydrophobicity then it can be a real problem depending on how long the hydrophobicity part is holding up in the real world with no toppings done. This is just not a problem on this product but a problem on all LSPs. If the hydrophobic caractics low down the road. How will you know that if it`s something still there to protect the paint. The easiest is to use the beading and sheeting behavior. But also not certain that the LSP is not protecting any more. On some LSP you can see it on the darkening effect if it`s still there. But that useally meens you will be polishing a little area on the paint to see the difference. Just some thoughts about it from an information junkie LOL.

Will be awesome to follow your experience with this Budgetplan!

/ Tony
    Well, I will defer to Dave on the technical issues as he has a closer relationship over the past few months. To me, my eyes (and fingers) will be the judge as things proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    First I want to say, unlike most companies marketing coatings, these guys prefer to under promise and over deliver. We know in most cases that’s not the way it works. I’m not sure how much the hydrophobic properties are going to die off at two years or how ever long that may be. As far as the product being gone when hydrophobic properties drop off. Most people know the main function of the coating is still there. That being protecting the paint from chemical and environmental materials that damage the paint. I’m one of those people who wants the paint slick and extremely hydrophobic.

There will probably be a maintenance product of some sort. The owner of the company is deciding. The last comment I saw on the matter was that he isn’t sure it’s needed and he didn’t want to sell us, us meaning detailers buying from him, a product we don’t need. Their QD will give months of protection and hydrophobic properties. I’m going to use it after every two or three washes to see if it helps durability of the hydrophobic properties, I’m sure it will, just not sure how much.

It will be interesting to see the durability of the self healing property when that product is released.

A couple nice things about joining the SPS team. One is that it’s a fairly small company and the chemist is continually looking for ways to improve the product. Someone complimented him on the product the other day on the FB page and his response was “I’ll make it better”. They are small enough that changes can happen pretty quickly. The other thing is you have the ability to talk directly with the chemist. So these things you’re questioning could certainly be answered SWETM. I know the Polish brand has a FB page also. I’m not sure if you can communicate directly with the chemist on there.
    A quick Detailer you say? Do tell! I`m not sure what to do with a car I wash and then don`t rub something onto occasionally...withdrawal symptoms.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting. I work in mattress industry and there was a line out that had graphene in the foams supposedly to diffuse heat. Interesting stuff. Excited to follow the long term test.

And DaveT35, by GAWD get this man some QD! His wife will find him down the road some day topping all the neighbors cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alfred is the creator, Bret is the distributer/USA brand

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

If the base product stays for 5 years, then any detail spray or spray wax would work as a topper for more beading. Although it`s possible that a topper could compromise the base layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Rain: https://youtu.be/aMksMeSLjQE

Co-workers are *really* starting to question my sanity...
    Likes fly07sti, SWETM, bad penny liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information