Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys Strip Down

Had heard a review a while back that mentioned it comppromised a coating during a test. Since starting to get car ready for re-do, figrd I`d give it a go just for fun.

Have tried the McKees Coating Prep wash previously and it really didnt have any effect on coating or anything substantial I could easily see. Poorboys turned out to be a bit different:

Strip Down: https://youtu.be/9tjXnFFCk-M

Pretty apparent that it had some effect on drivers side, looks like it did a good job but who knows...surfactants masked truly cleaned or actually truly cleaned?

Easy to use...rinse car, spray on paint, wash as normal with mitt and usual soap/bucket deal.

Will still polish before recoating but it did something it seems. Drying with Pluffle, PFM, Silk Dryer...nothing made drying easy. Soooooo draggy, like drying with cheesecloth...waffle weave mighta been the way to go.

Pressure Rinse
    Gyeon Foam
    Rinse
    Gyeon Tar
    Rinse
    Gyeon Iron
    Rinse
    Spray Strip Down on paint, drivers side.
    Bucket wash drivers side with Reset
    Rinse
    Spray Strip Down on paint, passenger side
    Bucket wash passenger side with Reset
    Rinse
    Gyeon Foam
    Rinse
    Bucket wash with Reset, clay Mitt
    Dry

Paint just feels abysmally squeaky clean, horrible.

Oddly, even though the glass on the moonroof was coated with same thing as paint and sprayed with Strip Down, it had no effect on it. Same for windows which are coated with Gtech G1.

Oh well, it seems to do something and surface feels literally squeaky clean although so do dishes after ya wash them with Dawn. :shrug:

Used about 24oz on car but, as always, probably overdid it.
    Likes Mary B, SWETM, Loach, nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys Strip Down

I think the bond that coating *A* makes with paint will be different than the coatings bond glass, given that the coating is comprised of Si02 and that`s what glass is made of.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The remaining remnants of Strip Down in my bottle was able to crack through the bottom and fully leak out. It`s strong stuff, the sample bottle of Adam`s Strip Wash that The Guz sent me did the same thing to that bottle as well. Strip Down seemed surfactant heavy, spraying it on recently polished unprotected paint left an overly hydrophilic surface so I would still feel like following up with a panel wipe after using it instead of going straight to reapplication of wax or sealant. Definitely does some gnarly stuff to various coatings like you show in the video. I went through the bottle real fast for how many uses I got out of it. At $13 for 16oz or $50 for a gallon, that price is its main roadblock for me when I really get more utility out of Prep-All in the gallon size for around $24 that I can use as a pre and post-polish panel wipe prep.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That`s the one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    The remaining remnants of Strip Down in my bottle was able to crack through the bottom and fully leak out. It`s strong stuff, the sample bottle of Adam`s Strip Wash that The Guz sent me did the same thing to that bottle as well.
    I`m not sure I`m really following what this thread is about, but this jumped out to me as sounding like what Griot`s Prep Wash was doing to the bottles. It`s funny how there seems to be some critical mass at certain points in detailing history...like when 3 companies all came out with WOWA sealants in 2007...was that a new chemical or just some new idea that Dow or BASF or somebody came up with and put it in the ear of a lot of detailing companies on a new twist of how to use an existing polymer...or like when someone finally decided to put the thioglycols into wheel cleaner, somebody takes hair perm, that`s been used industrially as a rust remover for 50 years, and suddenly decides that us crazy detailers will pay the extra money to see their wheels "bleed".

And now all of a sudden everybody is making prep products that eat through plastic bottles...is this a new chemical, or simply new to us detailers?
    Likes DetailZeus, J. Martin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`m not sure I`m really following what this thread is about,
    That makes 2 of us Poorboys Strip Down

Just found it interesting how little effort it took to 1) Strip/compromise the tired coating or 2) Give the appearance of doing so.

Started compounding/polishing hood today, nothing unusual was apparent...aside from the fact that the last 40k miles tore the hood up, chips everywhere.

Still think it`s weird it had little effect on coated glass...could be bonding I guess but still odd to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    That`s the one.
    I was looking for maybe an update from WaxMode on this. Its been awhile since original video.
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Thread Information