Post Thanks / Like

Need Recommendations for Paint Correction Tools and Compounds

Hello All,
    I have been searching for the right compound and orbital polisher to correct some paint. The paint is Springtime Yellow, and it has light to moderate swirl marks. I have been looking at Adam`s Polishes but am not sure if their products are worth it. As far as the polisher goes, I would like to get the best tool i can buy for someone who would polish a car maybe 3 ish times a year (as im not an everyday detailer). What orbital polisher would you all recommend? and with that, what compound should i use?

What kind of wax have you all had the best experience with?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Need Recommendations for Paint Correction Tools and Compounds

Can’t beat the griots machine for a weekend detailer. I personally like Meguairs polishes as they are easy to find and very user friendly.

Traditional waxes are pretty much dead at this point. That said Collinite 845 is amazing for what it is. Some also really like FK1000P.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Recommendations for Paint Correction Tools and Compounds

Griot`s Garage BOSS polishes, the Harbor Freight 6" DA with cord upgrade, 5 inch backing plate, and White Lithium Complex Grease. Boss Pads, Griots Black though Orange, cutting would be done with Lake Country Foamed Interface Lambswool Pads and LC Lambswool Extra Cut Wool Pads.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’m on the same program as you and way over did it on the polishers as I got a boss gg15 and a Adams mini to do 2 cars a year. Figure I will have forever and like to overkill. The Griots 6 inch polisher is the weekend warrior favorite here. Question to ask yourself though is what kind of vehicles. If any SUV’s a larger 15 mm throw may be worth it because the time you save. I spent the extra money because if it can save me a 2-4 hours a year for 10 years it’s worth it to me....

I think the Adams will be just fine the get rave reviews. I do however second the BOSS line as the also receive rave reviews and you may be able to purchase cheaper through one of Autopia’s 25% off sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

ferganzer- Following up on my reply to your other post, I`d get:

Griot`s BOSS15 Polisher. Their Pads and Products. Simple and effective approach.

I wouldn`t get the 21mm throw model unless you`ll also have a smaller orbit one for certain areas.

As noted in the other thread, I would never buy anything unless you can clearly articulate the reasons why that`s the best choice *for you*.

Also, note that "clearcoat is clearcoat"...meaning that the color doesn`t matter. You`re only dealing with the clear (and remember that you can only remove a small portion of it without precipitating failure).

I`d probably be thinking more about my Wash Technique/equipment and Inspection Lighting than anything else. Those things matter all the time, whereas Correction is something you`ll hardly ever be doing unless you`re a Pro or otherwise doing vehicles for others.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This all depends on how much money you are willing to dish.
    You will need lots of pads on top of a polisher.

Here’s some of what they are referring too.

(crap pics.)

The 5” backing plate plus a separate 3” backing plate is a must, to help navigate tight spots.

The Boss cream polishes are very good, I prefer Blackfire compound and polish. BF has a nice wax too, Midnight sun.

Post Thanks / Like

While the GG 6" worked better for me than my PC, IME it`s not in the same league as the BOSS15 or my other polishers. I`d spend more once rather than risk getting something that`s not efficient enough (anything oughta be effective, but this correction stuff can take forever).

IIRC, the BF polishes are variations of Menzerna. Just sayin`...very different stuff than some others (SMART/nondiminishing/etc. etc.-fancy-word, the functional diff is in the type of abrasives and it pays to know what *YOU* prefer).

And just FWIW, I utterly despise "dimpled" pads, finding nothing at all positive about them compared to a pad with a smooth face. I literally threw mine away.

But of course, the above stuff is just IMO/IME and might not apply to anybody else!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    While the GG 6" worked better for me than my PC, IME it`s not in the same league as the BOSS15 or my other polishers. I`d spend more once rather than risk getting something that`s not efficient enough (anything oughta be effective, but this correction stuff can take forever).

IIRC, the BF polishes are variations of Menzerna. Just sayin`...very different stuff than some others (SMART/nondiminishing/etc. etc.-fancy-word, the functional diff is in the type of abrasives and it pays to know what *YOU* prefer).

And just FWIW, I utterly despise "dimpled" pads, finding nothing at all positive about them compared to a pad with a smooth face. I literally threw mine away.

But of course, the above stuff is just IMO/IME and might not apply to anybody else!
    Totally agree on the dimpled pads BUT with as agressive as some polishes are, a weekend warrior just doesn`t need a powerhouse of a machine. Since M101 came out, I don`t think I`ve even picked up my rotary. M100 is strong enogh to polish glass via PC!
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Yeah, per usual you and I agree a lot more than it might sound like

With M101 I can do decent correction with the GG6, but it`s still way too slow for me (not that I need that stuff very often, never done a whole vehicle with it and doubt I ever will). If I could only have one polisher, it`d be the BOSS15, but that`s just me.

And yeah#2, I`ll never use either of my rotaries again, oughta find some way to trade them for some stuff I`ll really use...I gather some here still use rotaries so maybe they`d be worth something to somebody.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

The main thing about the GG6 I believe would be the ability to change Backing plates to a 3", plus the smaller size and less weight.

BF I like, they are easy to use, cleans up nice, not dusty. Compound and a MF I`m set, just run the polish w/ a Rupes yellow or white..nice !
    Menzerna is unequaled I`m sure. I won`t use it because of the stink scent, and I can`t remove it or the smell from my pads.

3 years ago when I first started... all I heard was how great the Lake country CCS pads were, my how things keep changing.

I`m not a pro by any means....just a SuperWoman

Post Thanks / Like

Griot’s 6 inch with the 5 inch backing plate and the boss pads. Probably don’t need fast correction cream or finishing Sealant. Correction cream and perfecting cream should work fine for what you need. Sealant is up to you but I love the look and ease of Griot’s Poly wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    The main thing about the GG6 I believe would be the ability to change Backing plates to a 3"..
    That! I`ve used 4" pads with machines like that since forever and the 3" ones are even better. Before stuff like M105 (let alone M101/etc.) that was the only way to get anything done in a timely manner; I did entire vehicles with 4" pads many times, much faster than trying to do it with a ~5"/etc.

I`m not a pro by any means...just a SuperWoman
    Re 1st part of above: IMO non-pros often have to do things differently from pros if only because they`re not being compensated for their time/effort and the whole "what it`s about" can be completely different. A Pro can`t just say "this isn`t fun and it`s a waste of my time." Whole different set of criteria start-to-finish and I often consider a non-pro`s needs to be even tougher to meet.

Re 2nd part of above: Now you`re talkin`
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Thread Information