Post Thanks / Like

Semi Permanent Tire Coating Face Off

Finally got some time today to apply 2 fairly new products to my beater work car and get some real world testing.
    I drive this car to and from work every day. The tires are about a year old and have ever only been dressed with PERL 1:1.
    I cleaned the tires with McKee’s tire and rubber rejuvenator until I got white suds. This took 3 rounds with a tuff shine brush.
    I dried them with my Metro Sidekick and then let them continue to air dry for another hour.
    I used Adams VRT foam block to apply. I cut the block in half because I feel it’s easier to manage.
    The OPT product was applied to both front tires while the Adams product was applied to both rears.
    Onto some pictures.

OPT immediately after 1st coat

Adams immediately after 1st coat

OPT 10 minutes after 1st coat

Adams 10 minutes after 1st coat

OPT 30 minutes after 2nd coat

Adams 30 minutes after 2nd coat

Full disclosure, the 2nd coat pictures are from the passenger side. A light rain came through and streaked the LF tire which I later leveled out. The Adams had no issues from the rain.
    My initial thoughts are that the OPT will be more durable as my gloves and applicator became tacky/hard after 20 minutes or so.
    Much like Black Pearl.
    The Adams has a more natural look as to the darker, slightly glossier look of OPT. I like the look of both but usually lean towards a natural look. I will try to update about once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks bobfic thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Semi Permanent Tire Coating Face Off

Thanks for the test. Staying tuned.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes fly07sti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. Looking forward to updates.
    Likes fly07sti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also thank you for the OPT test--I realize that the pictures are from different sides of the car, but there doesn`t seem to be any difference between the OPT one coat and two coat--can you tell us if it looked that way in real life also?
    Likes tom p., fly07sti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

fly07sti- At the risk of sounding like a complete [jerk], I wonder whether you should be using the same product on both front/rear tires. It seems to me that the fronts will be a much tougher testcase and that might skew the results of the comparison. I would`ve used one product on one side and the other product on the other, but hey..it`s not my car/test/thread

BTW, I *do* think that`s one good looking car! Just gives me that "I bet he really likes it..including detailing it" impression somehow.
    Likes fly07sti, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I also thank you for the OPT test--I realize that the pictures are from different sides of the car, but there doesn`t seem to be any difference between the OPT one coat and two coat--can you tell us if it looked that way in real life also?
    I feel the difference between one coat and two is that the second coat looks more uniform. With one coat I think they would look good from a distance but up close there can be some thin/blotchy areas. And when the tire is still on the vehicle you have to take into account rolling it to get the bottom area of the tire, so if it’s on too heavy it can sag or look streaky. I also don’t try to put tire coatings on very thick because I have had some in the past not cure properly. So usually it’s 2 light/medium coats to get that uniform look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    fly07sti- At the risk of sounding like a complete [jerk], I wonder whether you should be using the same product on both front/rear tires. It seems to me that the fronts will be a much tougher testcase and that might skew the results of the comparison. I would`ve used one product on one side and the other product on the other, but hey..it`s not my car/test/thread

BTW, I *do* think that`s one good looking car! Just gives me that "I bet he really likes it..including detailing it" impression somehow.
    No worries. I thought about that, but I also wanted both sides the same. It’s not like this 93 Sentra has Large Brembos like my Sti and gives off a ton of brake dust. Who knows? Maybe down the road I’ll rotate the tires and see if it makes any difference. I was just happy to be able to get it done yesterday as my wife and daughters were out of town visiting family.
    There is something about a 90’s era car that I love when they are straight and clean. I’ve had this little one for a couple years and it has 120k, original paint and AC that blows ice cold. Also has a complete JL audio and Focal system that cost twice what I bought the car for. LOL, Makes me feel like my high school days in the 90’s.
    Likes Stokdgs, SNP209 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

fly07sti- Ah, it`s a `93..thanks for that info. Yeah, cars of that vintage just *DO IT* for me too (consider that all three of my Audis, the Crown Vic, and the Tahoe all have bodies that date from that era) and that Sentra looks perfect in white. Heh heh, I`d drool over that more than I would over most exotics, probably even like it better than, GASP...your Sti I remember when Sentras were *the* track day toy for learning how to drive...liked `em then, still like `em now.

Post Thanks / Like

8 day update. Had a couple days of rain after application. Approximately 100 miles driven.
    I had planned to clean one side with N914 (OPT recommends using ONR or OPC) and the other side with a tire cleaner by spraying on and rinsing off with no agitation.
    I was being pressed for time because my wife had to pick up her niece while I stayed home with my daughters.
    So for times sake I chose the tires spray and rinse for all the tires. I used the same McKee’s tire and rubber rejuvenator that I prepped with. Sorry the pics aren’t great but it was quite cloudy.

Left Front before cleaning

Left Rear before cleaning

Right Front before cleaning

Right Rear before cleaning

Left Front after cleaning

Left Rear after cleaning

Right Front after cleaning

Right Rear after cleaning

Afters aren’t 100 percent dry, but hurried with Metro Sidekick in order to take some quick pics to post. Would say they were 95% dry.
    It seems to have dulled the OPT some and is a little streaky looking. While the Adams look unfazed.
    I also have a small blotchy spot on the RF. Maybe the rain storm that came through while I applied the 2nd coat interfered with the bonding. I wiped the tires with a white MF and they were indeed clean.
    Next week I plan to wash them with Reset and a demoted mitt after I wash the car.
    The OPT is a little disappointing but who knows. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes RMD, SWETM, dwaleke liked this post

Thread Information