Post Thanks / Like

Angelwax Bilberry Wheel Cleaner Concentrate Review

Hello All,
    I am back in San Diego for spring break, so figured I would review some of the products I have here instead of Boston (I have a fairly limited supply of products in Boston). Enjoy the review!

Background:
    The car is my 2011 BMW 328i. I have been at school, but my my sister and dad have driven the car a decent amount in my absence, so the wheels were dirty. These brakes spit up lots of brake dust, and although these weren`t too bad, they definitely needed a clean-up. I am continuing my reviews for non-color changing wheel cleaners, as I don`t like that they rust out uncoated metals. Below is the before condition of the wheels. Note that even after rinsing with a pressure washer, all the brake dust still sticks. This isn`t the kind of brake dust that completely rinses off with a strong stream of water, this is stuck on there and difficult to remove.

After rinsing with the pressure washer:

Product/ Packaging/ Price:

Angelwax Bilberry wheel cleaner has been available in Europe for years. We just recently got in the US and I was excited to try it out. The product comes in 500mL ready to use formula, or a 1L concentrate that you dilute down. I purchased the 1L concentrate for $23. The 500mL RTU formula costs $18. The cleaner is non-acid and is safe on plastic center caps. It should be noted that this product is safe on factory clear coated wheels, but should not be used on chrome or polished wheels. When I bought the product, the concentrate Bilberry came in a clear plastic bottle that had a nice label and it had no sprayer (because you had to dilute it down). However, I do not have a picture of the bottle because the wheel cleaner was so strong it actually ate through the plastic bottle and leaked all over my cabinet. I lost more than half of the product due to poor packaging. It seems that they have since changed their packaging for the concentrate and it now comes in a black plastic bottle that hopefully does not leak everywhere.

Application/ Scent:

Angelwax Bilberry is a thin liquid product, not a gel. I previously mentioned in my Adam`s review that I usually prefer gel`s for maintenance wheel cleaners. Since this product is the concentrate, there are three main dilution ratios to use for the product: Heavy contamination-- 1:2; medium contamination-- 1:5, and light contamination-- 1:10. I have used the product at all dilutions, but for these particular wheels I used the 1:10 dilution. I sprayed the product onto the wheel, let it dwell for about 30 seconds, and then began agitating the formula. The product foamed up a medium amount upon agitation, and a lot of the cleaner did run off the wheel since it was not a gel consistency. The scent of the product is strong, but pleasant. It has a fruity/ chemical smell too it. The scent strength is very strong and it can give you a headache by the 4th wheel, but it is not a harsh chemical scent.

Cleaning Power:

This product really shines in the cleaning power department. It is a crazy strong wheel cleaner that is still gentle on the brake components and uncoated metal components. The wheels on my BMW were quite dirty and the 1:10 dilution handled it with ease. I always agitate my wheel cleaners with some brushes, so I didn`t test the spray on rinse off application method. I have used the product at the 1:5 and 1:2 dilution ratios as well, but I mainly use it at 1:2 for extremely heavy duty and 1:10 for maintenance wheel cleaning. I don`t use the 1:5 ratio that often. The 1:2 heavy duty dilution is super aggressive and cleans incredibly well. This dilution outperforms most color-changing wheel cleaners on the market, no joke. As you can see below, my wheels were spotless after the light duty dilution was sprayed and agitated on the wheel.

Final Recommendation:

Overall, this product is incredible. It is so strong on brake dust, but gentle on the wheel finish. The 1:10 dilution works great as a maintenance wheel cleaner that can still handle some serious grime. The 1:2 dilution is like pulling out a Bazooka to clean your wheels. I do not have pictures using the 1:2 dilution on heavily soiled wheels, but will add them to the review at a later date. The product is also cost effective since it is concentrated. The RTU formula is quite expensive, so I would recommend buying the concentrate. This also makes it much more versatile because you can choose the strength of the product based on the wheel you are cleaning. As of currently, this is my favorite maintenance wheel cleaner. I wish it foamed up a bit more and stuck to the wheel a little bit better, but overall it cleans incredibly well and you don`t need that much product.

Thanks for viewing!

Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)
    Likes rlmccarty2000, SNP209, SWETM, RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Angelwax Bilberry Wheel Cleaner Concentrate Review

I just did a two stage correction on a Mercedes S550. The car had some custom AMG wheels and they were particularly dirty. I used the Angelwax Bilberry at the 2:1 dilution for heavy duty. Some pictures are below to show how well the wheel cleaner worked, even on very dirty wheels:

Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Thread Information