Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The BEST wheel-well brush - In my opinion :-)

So I got one of these toilet poof brushes. Gotta say I love it. Not for really detailed wheels but for simple 5 spoke wheels it cuts my wash time in half. Also great for wheel wells. Going to order a few more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sponge on a stick that looks like that I use for spreading dressing on wells but that looks excellent for cleaning.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Glad I’m not the only one that dislikes the Speedmaster brush. I can’t stand the spray back when pulling it out of tight areas. I bought one and now never use it and I got a brand new one in a “mystery box” a few years ago that I need to throw away. I love my Wheel Woolies and wouldn’t know what to do without them.
    Saw an article Mike wrote showing him using the speed master to clean engine bays.... maybe give that a shot when your healthy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- What`s the core of that like? I used to use a foam version (Quickie Sponge Mop made for cleaning glassware) for some things before I got so, uhm...particular...and/but I had to be careful because they had a steel loop that could touch things if I wasn`t careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dan- What`s the core of that like? I used to use a foam version (Quickie Sponge Mop made for cleaning glassware) for some things before I got so, uhm...particular...and/but I had to be careful because they had a steel loop that could touch things if I wasn`t careful.
    I haven`t taken it apart but it looks like it is glued or compressed into the handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, that sounds good, much better than the steel loop.

Heh heh, I suspect it`ll take itself apart after enough use But seriously, that`s probably a lot better than the Quickie was. I`m assuming that the [whatever material it is] doesn`t mar paint..

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the Speedmaster. Granted, I do get a bit of spray on me, but after washing a couple cars, I`m not too worried about staying clean.

If find it`s really handy when working on performance wheels with a deep barrel and lots of tight spokes like the OZs I run in the summer. Nothing else I`ve tried works as well or allows me to clean the wheels as fast. On more open wheel designs, the spray becomes a non-issue.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason... I wasn`t getting notified this thread was getting updates. Checking for reason now.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me OLD SKOOL.....

While I now prefer just getting in there with my pressure washer.....between the many various *brushes* I have, the powersticks by far are my favorite wheel brush apparatus. The only cavet is it MAY make a helluva mess, but that`s just how effective it is

Post Thanks / Like

While away... I tried some of your suggestions. The All-EZ-brush was the same as the Speed-Master. The EZ-Go brush didnt get into the nooks and crannies. The toilet-mop was too short and too soft.

Who else did I forget to offend? lol

The web-cob-brush is still my favorite!

Post Thanks / Like

Basically there are three types of surfaces to clean in vehicle wheel wells:
    1) Plastic liners
    2) Factory undercoating on sheet and frame members
    3) Fabric liners

I despise fabric liners in wheel wells. They hold road grime tenaciously and they are difficult to clean BY HAND. So those of you with electric or small-engine powered power washers have a REAL advantage getting this particular wheel liner material clean.

The other problem for me is getting my hand in there to clean the liner or undercoated member clean with my old cotton chenille pad between the member and tire with the tires remaining on the vehicle, as I assume most Autopians do during two-bucket car washers. For sports car and some sports/performance sedans, as the tire-to-wheel well clearance is minimal, cleaning wheel wells is impossible with the tires on. I find brushes do not adequately clean road debris that gathers in those areas, hence the chenille pad with my hand. I prefer to use Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner as the cleaner, along with the soap from the car wash (Megs Detailer D110 HyperWash Shampoo). If it is really dirty, I may use Optimum`s Power Clean.
    I do check for road tar and road line/striping paint before doing so, as tar will get on my chenille pads and tar is hard to get out. For such tar I use Stoners Tarminator or 3M`s Adhesive Remover on an old cloth. For road paint I use Goof-Off paint remover (not to be confused with Goo-Gone), but it must be done carefully, as it will remove the factory undercoating or the coloring on fabric liners if wiped aggressively or saturated.
    And cement/concrete specks? I use regular, not Diet, Coke-Cola soaked on a rag. Yes, I know there is a specific product for this, Back-Set by RoMix Chemical formerly sold by the now defunct Top of the Line Detailing Supply. The regular Coke does work if it is a small amount and has not been there forever. Some soak the cement with WD-40, but I have not done this, so I cannot vouch if this really works as well.
    GB detailer
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m always surprised that my fellow Autopians don`t, as a matter of course, raise vehicles up a little bit to gain access to the wheelwells. Other than vehicles like the Tahoe (where I can easily get to everything), I can`t *remember* washing a car without raising it up at least a few inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.D.PA
    ... I tried some of your suggestions. The All-EZ-brush was the same as the Speed-Master. The EZ-Go brush didnt get into the nooks and crannies. The toilet-mop was too short and too soft.

Who else did I forget to offend? lo
    Eh, I don`t like any of those either, although the EZ/SpeedMaster can be OK for certain undercarriage jobs.

IME it takes a variety of different brushes to do wheelwells; I use at least three different ones even on the cars that`re really easy to do, and that`s in addition to mitts/sponges. Otherwise, I`ll miss something or waste time doing the work inefficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    I despise fabric liners in wheel wells. They hold road grime tenaciously and they are difficult to clean..
    IIRC, I`ve only done those on one Service Loaner, and that experience was enough to make them a deal-breaker when I consider buying a vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Wonder what people are using for lighting when doing the wells/undercarriage..I go with rechargeable LED worklights that I can get wet and otherwise abuse without worry.

I use the dorky headband led light. It can be tilted to help put light where i need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    I use the dorky headband led light. It can be tilted to help put light where i need it.
    I wouldn`t call `em "dorky" at all, my wife and I use them all the time and IME they`re great! Glad it works for you in this applicaton.

I don`t use mine for this due to the faceshield/goggles I wear for eye protection (and, sugh.. I need more light than mine provides).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of these and really like them. They don`t scratch and they clean very well. I have the straight ones and the angled ones for getting in behind wheel spokes.

Links to Commercial Detailing Websites Removed

You may of course post a picture of these brushes.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information