Updated acuRAS82 categories to add Tony’s suggestion and Feynlab:

Coating Lites:
    TAC Moonlight
    Gyeon CanCoat
    IGL Premier
    Mothers CMX (too early to be sure)

SiO2 Spray Sealants:
    Kamikaze Overcoat (grey area)
    Feynlab Ceramic Spray Sealant (grey area)
    PA Viking Spritz
    PA Cosmic Spritz
    PA High Gloss
    PA Carnauba Arts sprays (contains carnauba)
    PA Rapidwaxx (contains carnauba)
    PA Presto (contains carnauba)
    TAC Quartzmax
    CarPro Reload
    CarPro Elixir
    Gtechniq C2V2
    Hydrosilex Recharge
    22ple VS1 Final Coat
    Mckees 10 Minute Paint Sealant
    Blackfire SiO2 Spray
    Wolfgang SiO2 Spray
    Pinnacle SiO2 Spray
    Blackfire Coating Booster
    PBL Coating Booster
    PA Presto
    PA Sprayduster Active (may not belong here)
    PBL Coating Detailer (may not belong here)
    CarPro Ech2o (1:20; may not belong here)[/QUOTE]
    Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Reload alternatives

These are great lists but it’s very difficult to put Overcoat and the PA sprays in the same category as Reload and Quartzmax. The difference is so large. One lasts weeks and the other lasts months. I know we are splitting hairs, but Overcoat and Premier are both durable over 6 months and I feel certain that PA Viking and Cosmic (not HG) would come very close to 6 months.

i feel safe in saying Overcoat, Premier, PA Viking and Cosmic would fall in the Coating Lite category as they last 5X longer than the others in your SIO2 Sealant category. My definition of a Coating Lite is an SIO2 product that lasts 6-9 months on a daily driver. Moonlight and CanCoat are rated at 6-9 months. I agree CMX still falls into the “wait and see” category along with the Adams new spray coating product.
    Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    These are great lists but it’s very difficult to put Overcoat and the PA sprays in the same category as Reload and Quartzmax. The difference is so large. One lasts weeks and the other lasts months. I know we are splitting hairs, but Overcoat and Premier are both durable over 6 months and I feel certain that PA Viking and Cosmic (not HG) would come very close to 6 months.

i feel safe in saying Overcoat, Premier, PA Viking and Cosmic would fall in the Coating Lite category as they last 5X longer than the others in your SIO2 Sealant category. My definition of a Coating Lite is an SIO2 product that lasts 6-9 months on a daily driver. Moonlight and CanCoat are rated at 6-9 months. I agree CMX still falls into the “wait and see” category along with the Adams new spray coating product.
    The variations in the Sio2 sealant longevity is huge. And agree with you that some is touching the 6 months mark in that range. It`s hard to seperate them in define categories though. Many are made for the purpose of being boosters or topper the coatings. Then they can be applyied as a stand alone LSP too. But the intentions where so you would revive the coating when the hydrophobic caractics is degraded a little. Useally this happens 7-10 months old coatings that lets say their performance is around 80-90% . And you boost them up some percents with monthly or every 3 months or so.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The variations in the Sio2 sealant longevity is huge. And agree with you that some is touching the 6 months mark in that range. It`s hard to seperate them in define categories though. Many are made for the purpose of being boosters or topper the coatings. Then they can be applyied as a stand alone LSP too. But the intentions where so you would revive the coating when the hydrophobic caractics is degraded a little. Useally this happens 7-10 months old coatings that lets say their performance is around 80-90% . And you boost them up some percents with monthly or every 3 months or so.
    I think of toppers in deferent categories as coatings. I personally agree with putting the PA’s, overcoat, and premier in topper categories as topping was main idea for creation. The coating “ lites” all have higher sio2 content and apply more like a coating. I would categorize as “premium” toppers maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea on putting this list together. Some of the products commonly used to “top” coatings don’t have any Sio2 in them though; stuff like beadmaker, which I love, is a polymer sealant. Same with Reload. I wouldn’t put Rapidwaxx or Ech2o on the list. Ech2o is a waterless wash / QD and is isn’t advertised as having any protection, just gloss enhancement. As for Rapidwaxx, I’m pretty sure that is a carnuba product.
    Likes The Guz, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Great idea on putting this list together. Some of the products commonly used to “top” coatings don’t have any Sio2 in them though; stuff like beadmaker, which I love, is a polymer sealant. Same with Reload. I wouldn’t put Rapidwaxx or Ech2o on the list. Ech2o is a waterless wash / QD and is isn’t advertised as having any protection, just gloss enhancement. As for Rapidwaxx, I’m pretty sure that is a carnuba product.
    Rapidwaxx has their carnuaba flakes in it. But in the sds sheet they say up to 30% Sio2 and 30% Tio2. A little lower than Cosmic Spritz and Viking Spritz concentration has. Reload claims to be haveing 5% Sio2 in it and other kind of polymers and glossenhancers. But you are right that there are toppers for coatings that are not Sio2 based. Siloxane is one tricky chemical that in some cases reacts to be Sio2 when it`s on the paint. Overcoat is resin and siloxane based. Think some booster is it. Maybe you thought of Carpro Gliss v1 that I don`t think was Sio2 based when you mentioned Reload?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad the lists is bringing up discussion - I get to learn new things!.

RapidWaxx and other PA carnaubas I added because high SiO2 still exists.

I wouldn’t be against rlm’s suggestion of putting PA Viking/Cosmic and Overcoat in the coating lite list due to performance alone.
    OR
    I also could see creating a new Premium Toppers category as the basis of those 3’s original purpose as marketed toppers ( but with “premium” performance... and price).

As far adding silane and silaxone products like Overcoat in either list... my understanding was that these chemicals do result in some sort of ceramic-type shell (like what Tony said) and would hate to leave them off the list due to the intention.

I do agree that EcH2O and probably PBL Coating Detailer can be removed due to likely miniscule SiO2 content and no more protection that a few days worth of shine. I`ve no yet used PA`s QD/WW (Sprayduster Active) but will keep it on the Toppers for the time being due to higher SiO2/TiO2 content (up to 8% SiO2; up to 12% TiO2). I could easily be convinced to remove it if it doesn`t add at least a week or two additional protection.

I did not add polymer-only toppers with zero SiO2 or silica/silicone-ish end results (such as Beadmaker)... it would open a can of worms. Not even Sonax BSD was included. since there`s no trace of SiO2/ceramic in it from what I understand. These types of sprays occupy my never-before-published "Non-SiO2 Sealant Sprays" category
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Rapidwaxx has their carnuaba flakes in it. But in the sds sheet they say up to 30% Sio2 and 30% Tio2. A little lower than Cosmic Spritz and Viking Spritz concentration has. Reload claims to be haveing 5% Sio2 in it and other kind of polymers and glossenhancers. But you are right that there are toppers for coatings that are not Sio2 based. Siloxane is one tricky chemical that in some cases reacts to be Sio2 when it`s on the paint. Overcoat is resin and siloxane based. Think some booster is it. Maybe you thought of Carpro Gliss v1 that I don`t think was Sio2 based when you mentioned Reload?
    thanks for the correction. I was not as thorough as you in looking at MSDS sheets. I was just going off of product descriptions on AG, which don’t mention Sio2 for reload or Rapidwaxx. Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great discussion that helps everyone new and old when discussing or explaining products and their uses to each other. Manufacturers are just going to slap the Coating designation on everything to increase sales and profits. It’s up to us to police the industry (unfortunately). Categories based on longetivity seem to be the best way to delineate products. Maybe someone that knows how to make a survey could do so and we could vote on a naming convention to try to clear up some of the confusion. No system will be perfect but we are helping each other and who knows maybe the industry will pick up on it a label accordingly. I already see “Coating Lite” being used on other forums. It’s a start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah as long as it`s made to be used with coatings in some ways I think that it`s okey to be mentioned. And Sio2 is also refered to silica or silicon sometimes. And I would not count out Bead Maker either LOL. Be cause when I read the sds sheet it says if the product is in a fire it fumes out that`s right Sio2 LOL. The manufacture talks about it at being monomer based. And the one LSP I mention sometimes I use Herrenfarth Sprühglanz is based on Si+ or Monosilicon. The biggest thing between them would be the price if it`s based on Si. Herrenfarth is pricey and it can be that they take a much higher price than needed or it`s a much higher concentration of the Si. But who knows what is in BM since it`s not rated as a hazard. And that`s is also with Sio2 that it don`t need to be put in the sds sheet. Sio2 is also used in the food industrie as a product that hold different other products apart oils think it was. So it`s not the easiest to see what is what in different detailing products overall.

Nice to see the Coating lite is catching on. Maybe something like premium topper could do that too in the range of 4-6 months longevity. It must be a nightmare when going in to as for a beginner or who want to get modern products. All the choices with LSP and in what combos and which order to use them. Heck it`s not easy for us autogeeks to do that. And test most of the products us self is impossible too. If doing real life testing what is the new LSP when you are going to be reapplying it after 2 years. It pumps out several new products each year so hard to catch up. The forum members and youtubers that do test a lot of products does help so much to just get an idea of a product. Worth very much the work they put in.
    Likes Coatings=crack, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps we should just lean on the Supreme Court`s remarks about obscenity, modified to fit our needs (i.e. "I know it when I see it)

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["SiO2 Products"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the [“bottle in question”] involved in this case is not that.

- Potter Stewart

This simple phrase, embedded in a plurality opinion, carries with it many of the conflicts and inconsistencies that continue to plague American [“detailing law]. In effect, “I know it when I see it” can still be paraphrased and unpacked as: “I know it when I see it, and someone else will know it when they see it, but what they see and what they know may or may not be what I see and what I know, and that’s okay.”

— William T. Goldberg
    Likes SWETM, RMD, waynvision, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are awesome. And I originally was thinking for these type categories: “meant to be used with a coating or as a coating and/or containing SiO2/silica/maybe silicone/silane/silaxone”, and then based on average real world duration (as I see it, lol) seems to be the most realistic,concrete way to put lines in the sand for sub-categories. Original intention was kind of a thought in the back of my mind through this, but things change with times and manufacturer`s descriptions are always thorough or trustworthy.

I still don’t like including BM until I hear that it has any of the above ingredients, because it is not coating level hydrophobic and I don’t believe it was ever intended as coating maintenance.

The "I know it when I see it" also applies in some cases (Budget). I fully support any type of voting or naming-consistency efforts that are recommended by you fellow forum members.
    Likes SWETM, waynvision, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesfan2006 View Post
    So I’m on my first bottle of reload, but am close to running out. I have mixed reviews on it. Gloss and ease of use is awesome. It’s hydrophobic properties not so much. I’ve applied after putting on polish with a DA. let it sit over night, and wipe down with some Eraser and finally apply reload - lasted maybe 1-2 months.

I’m looking for a better product that has more sheeting/beading properties to it then reload does. My mom currently uses Adams gloss and guard and it works better than reload. I personally don’t like CG or Adams products.

What other options are out there?

Feel free to link other posts regarding this topic. Didn’t see anything under a quick search for reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shine supply Clutch and Punch-It are awesome for protection. Last a good while and easy to maintain it with. I also like Bead Maker and Gyeon Cure a lot. Cure can be streaky on some paints, but it works pretty well. Smells almost exactly like Reload though, so not sure if they are the same stuff or not
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

Shameless bump, just about finished my gallon of Mckees Hydro Blue, has there been a subsequent release of something that is the reigning "Top in Class" for the spray-on-rinse-off LSP that I adore?

FWIW: Mckees Hydro (non Pro version) lasts a damn long time in my fleet. In my experience: Apply October/November, nothing but touchless auto car washes once a month during winter, heated garage, and while the hydrophobic properties wane month 3-4, the paint cleans remarkably well without hand washing. Definitely still something there until April, and only 2 weeks ago (Late July) did I end up handwashing my dad`s car, which was still coming out remarkably clean from the local Shell touchless wash, nearly 7-8 months later. This is in Toronto, so while this past winter was mild, proper salt/brine contact throughout the December-March months.

I do apply unconventionally though.. normally washing/applying on an overcast day (I prefer lightly raining), spritz on the full hood/roof/side of a sedan, spread with soaking wet microfiber, blast off with pressure washer.
    I know there`s an udated "Pro" version of Mckees, and unfortunately, I haven`t been able to keep up with every other company releasing their version of a si02 type sealant.

I mainly prefer the spray and rinse application products as I have a fleet of.. 8-9 vehicles that I look after unprofessionally/for fun.
    In the past I stuck with the following for the winter months: Megs #16 then > Collinite 845 > then Zaino Clear seal > then Optimum Opti Seal > lately Hydro blue year round. (you can see the progression in laziness)

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not going to take stabs at what is best, most my experience is with original HydroBlue. But there also exists:

Blackfire Hydroseal
    Sonax Spray and Seal
    CarPro Hydro2
    Gyeon Wet Wax
    Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax (HCW)
    Waxedshine Aquabead
    Waxedshine Aquaboost (recommends wiping then rinse)

I’m sure there are others I’m not thinking of. I’ve heard good things about Sonax, BF, CarPro and mixed things about Meg’s and Gyeon. Waxedshine Aquaboost is one I have but I don’t like having to spread with a damp cloth (then dry off or rinse off) so I don’t use it much and I don’t recall it blowing me away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information