Thread: Kamikaze Zipang

Post Thanks / Like

Kamikaze Zipang

Finally got around to giving this a go on (yes, another) 2019 Ford Race Red Transit Connect van...at least this one was a bit smaller than the regular Transits we get. While I woulda loved to do the `ultimate` application of Zipang + Miyabi + Zipang, even my fiscal alarm went off at the prospect of dumping $750 in coatings on a fleet vehicle regardless of curiosity. While generally, if ISM Coat is any indicator, can get 2 layers outta 30ml, because of the roof and no windows of this van, that wasn`t gonna happen. So I skipped the highly impractical `ultimate Zipang/Miyabi/Zipang sandwich` and went with the merely marginally impractical middle ground of a base coat of Miyabi + Zipang on top....topped with Overcoat of course.

I used the Autofiber Coating Saver Microfiber Coating Sponge for both Miyabi and Zipang and like the Cquartz UK 3 and 22ple VXPRO2 applications, they worked very well. Miyabi was it`s typically mindless application, apply to 2 panels, remove after 5-6 minutes at about 70 degrees F.

Zipang application was a bit different as recommendations are to apply evenly in a single direction, no cross hatch to insure complete coverage so have to pay a bit more attention to make sure everything is covered. It was ready for removal in 3-5 minutes, a little tacky on removal but nothing special. Definitely a short nap towel deal, however, and I used 300gsm/350gsm for initial removal and leveling and then a final buff with a 400-450gsm. Just for grins on one panel I did do cross hatch in a small area and in addition to getting some texture in the application, the crosshatch pass seemed to dry out the applied coating prematurely making for a somewhat draggy applicator feel. I think perhaps a microsuede applicator would allow for more even coverage as a `thick even layer` is what is recommended. Any small ridges left by the texture of the microfiber applicator were easily leveled during removal though so who knows?

It`s a somewhat `thick` product on application, much like ISM Coat, almost a thin, syrup type of deal. Regardless it all went well, a relatively easy product to use. The look is ISM-ish, the Zipang toned down a bit of the overt reflectivity of Miyabi and gave the surface a deeper richness while still maintaining nice gloss. It looks `rich` in the way that Gtechniq CSL looked rich on this paint shade....very classy. I imagine the Overcoat will lend a nice touch of gloss, will see tomorrow.

As for what *might* make Zipang special, that is the self-healing claims, will wait a week or 2 and then give that a go in some very inconspicuous areas like lower rocker panels. I don`t expect it to be miraculous in any way shape or form but if it has the ability to self-heal light swirls from a less-than-perfect drying towels, that`ll be good enough for me. Pricey, yes, but will solve a potential issue on black cars that will otherwise make it thru 2 years without re-doing. Of course, that depends on if Zipang has the legs that the normal Miyabi + ISM coat has show on my personal car since application 20 months/34k miles ago.

Another red van...well, except for the 100 square feet of black plastic trim...geez Ford.
    Kamikaze Zipang-connect_zipang.jpg

Since I had just a tiny bit of leftovers, pulled a heavily used van in this morning, CarPro ClearCut on microfiber, Sonax Perfect Finish on yellow Rupes and then the `ultimate` Zipang application of Zipang + Miyabi + Zipang. I`ll have no issues taking various items to this hood to test the limits of the claimed self-healing. As an aside, this was the van that I did the side-by-side of HydroSilex, 22ple VS1 and Kami Overcoat (with CanCoat-only dividing lines) on last year. Back before we could draw any lasting conclusions from that escapade, the hood got covered by something (I`d guess paint overspray). Had to clay the ever-loving life out of it before taking the Rupes 15 to it this morning but I could still see the CanCoat dividing lines on the hood; they weren`t really slick or beading or anything but they were still plainly visible. Dunno what that means but it did raise an eyebrow...regardless, it`ll make a nice `who cares` test panel:
    Kamikaze Zipang-v17_hood.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kamikaze Zipang

Awesome work and write up Budgetplan!

Will be fun and interesting to follow your testing on the Zipang coating. And see what the self healing ability is on it. What is the recommendation to heal it when it`s necessary? And is it a recommended time frame to do it in?

That is impresive to see something still there of CanCoat. It was there quite a time before your topper testing IIRC?

Thanks for shareing your experience and testing!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use the terry or smooth applicator?
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, Budget
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So what happened to the pro only Enrei that we all bought in to? They just never had what we needed in stock, that’s why we gave up on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome work and write up Budgetplan!

Will be fun and interesting to follow your testing on the Zipang coating. And see what the self healing ability is on it. What is the recommendation to heal it when it`s necessary? And is it a recommended time frame to do it in?

That is impresive to see something still there of CanCoat. It was there quite a time before your topper testing IIRC?

Thanks for shareing your experience and testing!

/ Tony
    From what I`ve seen, heat gun at 110 degrees F or hot water at that temp will activate the healing or "self leveling" as I`ve also seen it referred to.

Ultimate Finish UK has a blog post/vid about it and they indicated hot water was more quickly effective. Lacking a place on Earth where it rains 110 F raindrops, wonder how hot a hood can get mid-summer on a 85 degree, sunny day?

As for the CanCoat, will have to check my notes to see when the initial application done. Who knows, whatever gritty film/overspray that was on the hood mighta been protecting whatever was underneath...it was really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Did you use the terry or smooth applicator?
    I used the terry one. I wanted to switch to the smooth at some point but it was going so well, didnt wanna goon it up given that I wasn`t sure I`d have enough to complete what I wanted to. Sometimes my great ideas of "I`ll bet that`ll be better..." lead to sadness and dissapointment.

I`m doing another new van with CSL + EXO next week, will try the smooth ones with that as I`ve got plenty of CSL for the task at hand.

I`d really like to do something other than red vans but in the winter, beggars cant be choosers. Even though the flat panels are easy to deal with in every way, they just go on FOREVER, especially the roofs. 21mm long throws are just made for stuff like this but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    So what happened to the pro only Enrei that we all bought in to? They just never had what we needed in stock, that’s why we gave up on it.
    Dunno, that stuff is WAY outta my league.

As for the other Kami stuff, havent seen it outta stock since last Spring, aside from the initial 2 shipments of Zipang. Beast plates are not even listed anymore but maybe that`ll change when the previously mentioned new version comes out. Perhaps Kamikaze will be more scarce when Spring & Summer comes around and more DIY folks are working on cars.

I hear more about Enrei mentioned across the pond and other parts of the world but still not a lot. Is it crazy expensive? Someone mentioned that it was like Gtech Crystal Serum Ultra in that removal needs wetsanding but could never confirm that.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I love that wetsanding claim, hear that about Modesta too! Don’t know where they get that from? If I recall, I don’t think Enrei was any more than the new stuff. We stay strictly Modesta, never any problem with asking questions or inventory.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That came out great!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies, your work looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Thanks, I love that wetsanding claim, hear that about Modesta too! Don’t know where they get that from? If I recall, I don’t think Enrei was any more than the new stuff. We stay strictly Modesta, never any problem with asking questions or inventory.
    Funny how hearsay rolls along, sometimes mentioned yet rarely firsthand.

Modesta is quite intriguing, certainly not mainstream but highly regarded. Has a subtle bit of mystery...and a pretty cool logo too.

Post Thanks / Like

You da man BudgetPlan!

Tell me more about the Coating Saver Microfiber Applicators from Autofiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    You da man BudgetPlan!

Tell me more about the Coating Saver Microfiber Applicators from Autofiber.
    They do seem to work as advertised for the most part.

The main complaint about microfiber applicators is the that they absorb too much product. Over the past few years, as expensive coatings have taken over the industry, the complain has only grown. Microfiber applicators make coating product application easier, quicker and more efficient, but coatings typically have a lower viscosity (not as thick - flow easier) so they soak through the microfiber to the sponge, wasting valuable product.
    Our solution to this problem is the [Saver Applicator]. We have added a layer of a hydrophobic material between the microfiber and sponge. This prevents excess coating product from soaking through the microfiber into the sponge. It also limits excess product buildup which can become gummy and tacky as the coating begins to cure.

Thread Information