Post Thanks / Like

Review: WOLFGANG Iron Remover

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

A huge THANK YOU goes out to Meghan and Autogeek for providing this product!

Product Description from Autogeek store
    Wolfgang Iron Remover is designed to make quick works of the pesky iron particles that collect and ruin your paint surfaces. Wolfgang Iron Remover was developed using a formula that changes colors as it pulls iron contaminates from your paint, that way you can see it working. You can use it on more than just paint though! Wolfgang Iron Remover will also expertly remove iron and brake dust from your glass surfaces and your wheels as well!

My Review

Subject: 2016 Honda Civic
    Time Period: November 2018
    Weather: In the low 80s. Somewhat humid

Subject: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
    Time Period: December 2018
    Weather: In the low 60s.

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover
    Cost: 24.99 (as of 12/18/18/18) - On Autogeek ​[I don`t see it on Autopia`s store yet]
    Size: 16 oz
    Scent: stinky
    Consistency: thin liquid

Background: I first used this product in conjunction with the BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt (thread is here Review: BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt )

Meghan had some great timing when she sent this to me to try out. I was running low on my current iron remover product and was looking to try something new. Luckily, I hadn’t bought anything and I received this in time for this particular “wash and wax.”

Normally, I would go around and spray down the entire car. I started in this usual manner and began with the trunk lid. The Wolfgang Iron Remover began working immediately - I kid you not, it seemed as if started working as soon as it made contact. Haha, at least that’s how I remember it!

I worked my way around to the driver side quarter panel, and was moving toward the front of the car. At some point, I realized that I had forgot to get the rear wheel, so I went back to get it.

That’s when I noticed the trunk lid was beginning to dry up. You can kind of see what it looked like in the following pic.

At this point I figured I better move fast! I need to keep up with the quick acting Wolfgang!

By the time I was getting to the front driver side fender, I glanced down the side of the car…

…. And knew I better adapt to the current conditions. This stuff was working quicker than I’m used to seeing in other iron removers. I’m sure having a warm day out with the humid conditions didn’t help any.

I decided to work smaller sections at a time and began hosing off the panels.

From the prior pics, it’s hard to see the Iron Remover’s color changing effects because of the car’s color. But trust me, in person it was more noticeable. All one has to do is look down, to see the purple hue mixed with the water on the ground….and LOTS of it!!!

I did want to try this out on a white car as well, to better showcase this product. It took some time, but I finally got around to getting the Jeep out of it’s garaging address (I don’t keep it with me at home).

The bad part was, sadly, that the white Jeep didn’t have any serious contamination! WHAT?! That’s just crazy talk. I don’t keep that thing clean at all. I had the camera set up to record, too! Some side by side action with another known brand. Oh well.

At any rate, I thought I’d do a side by side with another product on the bare aluminum wheels. These things are nasty.

Two sprays, simultaneously, on one wheel. Any difference? You tell me.

And if you wanted a close up, here’s that. It has sort of a 50/50 feel to it. Hehe… I wasn’t expecting this 50/50 but smiled when I saw it. The two products didn’t exactly blend together at the bottom, making for this shot ��

Conclusion: After trying about 4 different iron remover products, I came to the conclusion I’m sure others have come to: For the most part, they’re all the same. They all work. Sure enough, they do. In my case, it has come to deciding based on two things, (1) Price and (2) Scent.

Yes, scent. While all these products stink in their own right, for me, some are quite a bit worse than others.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is the scent. Since most of my work is mobile, I carry the products inside the hatch area of my little Yaris. When I’m carrying some products like strong wheel cleaners and iron removers, I place them as far back as I can. Still, the strong smells carry to the front. I dislike those smells. Once, I had to pull over and ended up tossing out the remaining Iron X I had left. I had a long drive ahead and knew the smell would kill me (not literally).

With Wolfgang’s Iron Remover, I forgot about how bad some of those products can be! Even with my wife in the car; she has a more sensitive nose.

The smell didn’t bother me, or the wife, on the drive home (about 45 min). The smell didn’t bother me as I was using it on the Civic I detailed, either.

To summarize it, Wolfgang Iron Remover is a great product. Works fast and is less stinky. The only drawback I’ve found so far is the price.

Let me change things up regarding price.

Would you get a Rupes, or a Shinemate?
    Would you get a Griot’s, or a DAS Pro?

I`m not saying Shinemates or DAS machines are low quality products (never tried them); nor am I saying other iron removers are low quality, either.

Price can be relative to the individual. Myself, I tend to cheap out on some things while spending the added premium for other things.
    Likes Liz@Autopia, RMD liked this post
    Thanks Liz@Autopia thanked for this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: WOLFGANG Iron Remover

Thank you for your review on the Wolfgang Iron Remover, great to know is works fast and drys too. Love the of 50 / 50 shot of the aluminum wheel.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    Thank you for your review on the Wolfgang Iron Remover, great to know is works fast and drys too. Love the of 50 / 50 shot of the aluminum wheel.
    You`re welcome, Old Pirate.

I`m glad I was able to get that last shot

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing that it dried that quickly in 80 degree humid temps. Normally I do the whole car and wait 5 minutes and it’s still not dry. About the only time I have any problem is when it’s windy and low humidity. I do wish PBMG would put the amount of active ingredient on the label for their products. Not even sure how to find the sds for them. What was the one that didn’t work? We need an iron remover showdown.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Amazing that it dried that quickly in 80 degree humid temps. Normally I do the whole car and wait 5 minutes
    Same here. I usually go around the car before I rinse off.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    What was the one that didn’t work? We need an iron remover showdown.
    I won`t say the other product didn`t work. Maybe if I let it dwell longer it would have shown more purple. It`s 3D BDX. I had bought two 16 oz bottles before buying a gallon of it. So it works, maybe just not as quick/good as Wolfgang`s? ORRRR, maybe over time it`s losing some of its effectiveness? Not sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done
    Thank you
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Thread Information