Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: BigBoi Mini Air Blower

To keep things `above board` and in the interest of full disclosure, I didnt purchase this item (nor did I get to keep it afterwards). One day a big Esoteric box showed up at work, followed by a call from them saying "Hi, we`re going to be releasing something I think you`d like; give it a try and let us know what you think." I guess they were looking for the "lowest common denominator" opinion of it from a non-pro who can barely wash a car without tripping over the hose and breaking my hip Review: BigBoi Mini Air Blower I am certainly quite qualified given those circumstances.

So they announced yesterday they were bringing in the BigBoi line of auto air dryers, made in Australia.

I got a chance to play around with the BigBoi Mini air dryer unit for a bit, thing is *solid*. All the controls are very well designed, sturdy...just gives one the feeling you definately won`t be having any issues with build quality. Hose connections between machine and attachments are equally robust. And the hose is very sturdy and substantial as well, not prone to kinking or twisting and not a cheap, thin plastic.

Those folks Down Under sure know how to design a quality item; certainly not a re-purposed leaf blower motor and housing kludged together with a cheap hose. This is a purposeful item, designed from the ground up to do what it`s supposed to do...and it does it very well, IMO.

Bonus points for the heated air that keeps ya warmed a bit in chillier temps while helping to dry up/evaporate the lighter, misty areas of panels. Sometimes it`s the little things that move an item from `functional` to `enjoyably functional`.

One of the things I was really surprised with` was the light weight of the unit; it`s built like a tank but certainly isn`t heavy whatsoever. Even when it was sitting on a table doing nothing, couldn`t help picking it up whenever I walked by because it just looks like it should be heavy but it`s deceptively light.

Not a pro detailer here by any stretch, just having fun, keeping the cars looking as good as I can (as easily as possible) and I see one of these in my future...and, as with most things, will likely go overboard (for my needs) with the dual motor PRO model cuz, well...nothing exceeds like excess. If it helps me, I`m definately all in, especially given my affinity for black cars. I guess I need it the same way my wife needs 37 pairs of shoes for her two feet.

I did let go of the nozzle for a moment when hose was draped around my neck, challenging minute spent corralling that thing (both times I did it). Some of us need to learn to hard way, I guess.

I`ve wanted to move to air drying for a while now; air compressor with rubber tipped chuck can squirt some high pressure streams of air for sure but these dedicated blowers move a larger volume of air as well, clearing wider areas of wet panel far more efficiently in a` watercolor brush vs paint roller kinda way.

I`m in on this one, end of the day it seems well built and will make my life easier, especially when washing outside w a tree filled yard close by. Gravity sometimes `happens` when towel` drying...not good no matter what kinda of `greatest ever` drying towel is touching the surface.

While the Mini will no doubt do just fine, will likely go for the Pro model, add the wall mount and 29m hose which will easily work from garage by just dragging hose out. Not the cheapest way to go but much like pressure washer & foam cannon, if I dont make it easy to use, I`ll probably quit using it.

I`ve almost jumped in a few times with various blowers, hesitated as other models/brands seem to have had a `but` attached to them. "Yeah, that looks like it`ll work but..." or "That`s` great in this way...but I`m not sure about that other part". Had `em in my cart many times, just could never pull the trigger.

The BigBoi just didnt raise any of those `but` thoughts in my mind; did what it`s designed to do, does it well, does it easily, does it quickly, does it safely, makes my life easier and keeps the paint in better shape. Tough to beat that..

To be sure, I`ve never blown dry a car with a device like MetroVac or other popular air dryers so I cant compare to them, quite possible they`re as good or better...I dunno. But since I got to try this one and I *know* I like how its built and works, I`ll stick with buying it come this Spring. Certainly don`t need it during winter-time in Cleveland.

As with anything in this highly subjective profession/hobby, it`s all just my opinion and YMMV.

Pro, Mini and Buddi models below
    Thanks JustJesus, VitreousHumor, Diner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BigBoi Mini Air Blower

Very nice and informative review. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I just these on one of their email blasts. I`ve got a Metro MB, so I`m not in the market, but your review should help people who are.

Thanks again!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was just watching this on their YouTube today. It`s a shame you didn`t get to keep it, especially since you`re always sending products out for free.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget as allows nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Thanks Budget! — Quite the tease from the boys at Esoteric! Love it.

Guess I may have to consider not being the redneck on my street that dries my Miyabi/Overcoat Vehicles with the Milwaukee Leaf Blower....
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

“Lost in the mail” sounds like a good excuse. Lol. Looks like a well built group of machines. I’ve often thought about buying one of these type drying machines but like you there was always a “but”. I’ve got a Metrovac that both sucks and blows but I’ve never even tried the blow function (and don’t expect to). I use a cheap leaf blower and a microfiber towel to dry my vehicles and I’m happy doing it that way, but if one winds up under my tree for Xmas I wouldn’t turn it down.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    “Lost in the mail” sounds like a good excuse. Lol.
    "Box??? What box, I havent seen any box since my last order? Are you sure you got the right address? UPS is kinda busy and confused this time of year ya know" Review: BigBoi Mini Air Blower

I was just kinda all geeked out that they sent it to me to try, the fact that it gave me a definitive answer regarding something I was unsure about was a nice bonus.

While I`ve never held or used any other air dryers, some images of a few make me wonder about things like the hose, if it`s a stiffer, thinner wall hose that might be prone that irritating thing that hoses do, not so much kinking as twisting in and around itself.

The BigBoi has a nice, thick wall, very supple hose, kinda like the double-helix pool hose our Techs use at work...and I *know* those things can take a beating and still be easy to stow/use. The switch`s and dial just have that solid feel to `em, kinda like the automotive equivalent of shutting the door on a really well built car and getting that solid, somehow satisfying muted `thunk`.

I think I`ll like it when I get one and strap it to the wall, albeit the dual motor pro model with the long hose.

Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Never considered a blower, but now you got my interest.
    Any pricing available?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    "Box??? What box, I havent seen any box since my last order? Are you sure you got the right address? UPS is kinda busy and confused this time of year ya know" Review: BigBoi Mini Air Blower

I was just kinda all geeked out that they sent it to me to try, the fact that it gave me a definitive answer regarding something I was unsure about was a nice bonus.

While I`ve never held or used any other air dryers, some images of a few make me wonder about things like the hose, if it`s a stiffer, thinner wall hose that might be prone that irritating thing that hoses do, not so much kinking as twisting in and around itself.

The BigBoi has a nice, thick wall, very supple hose, kinda like the double-helix pool hose our Techs use at work...and I *know* those things can take a beating and still be easy to stow/use. The switch`s and dial just have that solid feel to `em, kinda like the automotive equivalent of shutting the door on a really well built car and getting that solid, somehow satisfying muted `thunk`.

I think I`ll like it when I get one and strap it to the wall, albeit the dual motor pro model with the long hose.

Is that center rotary knob for "mind control"?

Thanks for the review and pics. I`m liking it alot.

It`ll be interesting to see who distributes it.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s also a similar product line from the UK.

The company is Bruhl and it`s called the Bruhl Power Dryer - Professional Twin Fan BD4280. It`s listed on eBay at $232.33. The shipping is $26.01 to the USA.

I don`t know why the font changed and I can`t change it back. Sorry about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Never considered a blower, but now you got my interest.
    Any pricing available?
    Looks like the Pro is $349, Mini is $199 and Buddi is $119. I`m not jumping in on the first batch, kinda dumb for me in the middle of winter (like practicality is a driver in any of my purchasing...doh!) but after doing some quick looking & measuring, it will do quite nicely mounted to the wall near garage door and the longer hose will be more than long enough to reach where I need it to in the driveway.

Started Googling a bit for others actual experiences and while I`ll lose some temperature at the end with the longer hose, appears velocity will not be diminished.

As always, it "seems like a good idea in my head"...hopefully when I do i implement, it will change to "Is a good idea..." which doesnt always happen; sometimes things end up on the "Well, that didn`t go as planned..." list.

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    It`ll be interesting to see who distributes it.
    Esoteric Care Care in New Albany, OH...slated to be avaliable for shipping at end of January I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Price of 199 USD sounds about right as here down under we can get it for 299 AUD plus shipping. Given the fx rate, its about spot on.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This really caught my interest! They look really well designed. How was the noise reduction?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I really don`t have anything to compare it (the Mini unit) to w/ regards to other units but it sure was quieter than a leaf blower. I didn`t feel the need for ear protection given the short amount of time it took to dry the car. Esoteric has YouTube vids of it, they may hold up a db meter in part of it...can`t quite remember without re-watching it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    This really caught my interest! They look really well designed. How was the noise reduction?

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to see a review of the Buddi. Wonder if it has the power to do a full size sedan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information