Post Thanks / Like

Smile Nano Pearl Glass Coat

After following Budget1`s quest for the "ideal" glass coating, I contacted Nano Pearl about a smaller version of their 100ml glass coating.
    Within a few minutes, I was told a 50ml sample kit was in the mail.
    I was told that it would be half the price, but I never got an invoice to this day. Also given that the glass prep and the actual Glass Coating bottles were not full, I think I was given a sample, thus why I didn`t get an invoice!?

Got it a few days later!
    IMG_20180825_090257_zps37g6yfah.JPG

Came with:
    . 1 full bottle of `Perfection DECON Ceramic Coating Prep Spray,
    . 1/3 full bottle of their "Glass Prep" spray,
    . 1/3 full 50ml bottle of their Nano Glass.

Here are the guinea pigs, both daily drivers in Maine weather. I have no garage, so this will be a true test of it`s performance.
    I did not attach a video of water action per-treatment. Everyone here knows what untreated glass & water looks like.
    Both have brand new Windshields, so this was the perfect moment to try a glass coating; no prior coating or chemical on glass.
    IMG_20180825_135353_zpsfsr76esh.JPG

IMG_20180825_135502_zpsx44oznkg.JPG

IMG_20180825_140716_zpsdeygkyqm.JPG

Application parameters:
    Temps are mid to high 70`s with 90`s humidity. Glass temperature was warm/cool the touch.

Used Sprayway glass cleaner for intial wipe of dust and crap from the few days of driving.
    Then used Nano Pearl Glass Prep spray. Smell reminded me of a diluted IPA type product. Obviously I don`t know what the composition of it is.
    Then, used the Decon prep spray. Smelled somewhat sweet. Both were easy to spray on and wipe off.
    Results was a clean, somewhat grabby glass when wiping off with dry MF towel.

Then applied 5-10 drops of Nano glass on MF pad and sprinkled the `equivalent` on the glass as per instructions. Coating came out very quickly from the bottle, so measuring 7 to 10 drops was a bit tricky and I ended up guesstimating it.

Spread with the usual up-down, left right (aka criss cross pattern) of applying a coating.
    Easy to apply. Contrary to RainX, product doesn`t seem to visibly "flash", or if it does, it is extremely fast. No visible residue or haze left.
    Depending on the light angle, I could see traces of the product being spread.
    Continued passes until I felt all glass was evenly coated. (at times I may have added a few drops to the glass for good measure).
    Hard to see the product per se.
    Used the other side of the same applicator block, with light pressure, for final wipe (probably not needed).

Total time, 15 to 20 minutes for all steps.
    Instructions say cure time is 30 mn for hydrophobic properties & 24hrs for full cure.
    I was done by 3pm. Both cars will be washed tomorrow afternoon.
    Hopefully the night and morning dew won`t mess up cure time; I don`t have a garage. We will see. I will follow up with pics/video of water action.
    I will contact Nano Pearl about "second coat" and whether it is a waste of product or ok to do.

I did both car`s rear hatches as well. I have a good amount of the glass coating left, little of the glass prep spray and most of the decon spray left.

Impressions:
    Easy to use and apply. The lack of `clearly visible` product being applied makes you wonder if you have enough there. I personally like seeing a product on and having to `buff it out` or see it flash more visibly. Others may not care. The only way to know (prior to curing) is the the smoothness of the glass post treatment. Nothing different than any other treatment in terms of feel at this time.
    I anticipate to maintain coating with either traditional QD over thenext few months, and update post here for folks.
    Likes glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nano Pearl Glass Coat

Funny you only got 1/3 of a bottle. Normally the more air in a bottle, the faster it goes bad. I guess it is dependent on the silica content of the product. It would be worth giving them a call/email and asking if the bottle was supposed to be 1/3 full. I seem to remember someone else here on the site getting a sample from them. I was going to get some of their paint coating but their Facebook page said you must wash your car with Dawn prior to installing the coating. Whenever I hear “Dawn” I run the other way.
    Likes glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we`ll see if my memory serves correctly regarding their glass coating being nice.

I got it as part of a kit as well with their coating.

The Base Coat + Top Coat paint coating was nice but nothing spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like

So it`s been 15+ days. It has rained here. Car still sitting outside.
    Posted random pics of rain/water behaviors in motion and standing still... you be the judge.

Impressions thus far: not impressed. Maybe my expectations are too high?
    Properties looked promising after the 1st wash as you can see on the 1st 3 videos.
    The next 3 videos (sorry about the background music/sound) were either standing still with heavy rain drops, or light rain at 70+mph on highway. I would expect much less water ont he windshield than that.
    In dry weather, I have noticed much more crap/smears build up on the windshield from bugs and dirt that clean very nicely manually with a MF, but not when using my wipers and rain. Note: I`ve been out of washer fluid for a while so the windshields has seen either Sprayway or FK425 as chemicals to clean the windshield from road debris.

I may just polish my car and apply a different product before the winter hits here in the NE and leave the wife`s car as is.

vid washing with Pink soap:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=11B..._BK1w-B5UmQfBn
    https://youtu.be/sUSyj1gMiEM

vid water action:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Oc...-9iFJkSOu62h92
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pD...RFye01Y6dxJIm3

heavy rain at stand still:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MR...jHe48V438uggAH
    https://youtu.be/PmWPafEzRQ4

light rain at high speeds:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=14i...nkAiDWBkiwuuu7
    https://youtu.be/PTTh6-XGM1E
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pw...fIDq4b2jiYIbv-
    https://youtu.be/w-ksLad0u-Q

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh...

Post Thanks / Like

Is the fk425 leaving anything behind that could interfear with the water behavior?

And if not it`s not so great to see the water behavior and self cleaning ability degrade that fast. And this is just something I have heard on a domestic forum. Some windshields and mostly on asian cars for some reason. Have had big problems with the longevity of glass sealant and coatings to last. And it has been with aquapel and Carpro and gtechnic glass coatings they have had problems with. It`s not just that they have had one car but two different cars from different brands that one worked great on while the other didn`t last for a long time. So some windshields is hard to find a rain repellent that lasts and works as suposed to. Then of coarse there is just not products that works on any windshield. But could be worth to check if a well renowed glass coating get you the water behavior and self cleaning ability and longevity on the windshields you have.

I have a big problem with wiper ghosting from one glass sealant I like other than that. The first application worked great. And the following 3 has been mixed results with it and very bad wiper ghosting. Which is a PIA to have when the wipers is needed to be on in very light rain and low speeds. But still try to get it to work since the first application whent so great with it and it is one of the best I have tried so far.

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM: I did think of that which is why i switched to using Sprayway as I felt it would leave nothing behind. That did not seem to change much.
    Since my wife`s car has been less manipulated than mine, it will remain the test mule for nanopearl.

Technically, there may also be some confounding variables here, that may have impacted my results:
    1) Glass were new, but i did not polish before applying. I did use the prep system that came with sealant though
    2) Cure time was 24hr+ but not in a climate controlled environment.

That being said, I am happy to ship the remaining of nanopearl sample to whomever wishes to try it out. I actually may try aquapel after all, either on the entire window or half, keeping the original nano on the other side.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I have noticed. Is when I applyied the sealant at the evening and the dew came in right after I applyied. That time was the most impact on both wiper ghosting and the longevity was very bad. Did an application of Ultima Paint Guard Plus that way too. And it also rained that night. It was like I did not applyied it at all. The water behavior was totaly flat the week after when I washed it.I got mad and applyied Gyeon Wet Coat after the wash LOL. Did prep the horisontall panels with the polisher and Ultima Paint Prep Plus before UPGP application. And no difference on the water behavior after the wash. This is the old formula of UPGP that has oil carrier and need to be totaly dry when applyied. So further on any protection that need to be cured I apply early on the day. That includes glass sealant and glass coatings too.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case I applied around 3pm so I would guess-timate a solid 10hr+ of dry time before dew set it on the glass. Could it have impacted coating? Who knows, but certainly a variable to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    One thing that I have noticed. Is when I applyied the sealant at the evening and the dew came in right after I applyied. That time was the most impact on both wiper ghosting and the longevity was very bad. Did an application of Ultima Paint Guard Plus that way too. And it also rained that night. It was like I did not applyied it at all. The water behavior was totaly flat the week after when I washed it.I got mad and applyied Gyeon Wet Coat after the wash LOL. Did prep the horisontall panels with the polisher and Ultima Paint Prep Plus before UPGP application. And no difference on the water behavior after the wash. This is the old formula of UPGP that has oil carrier and need to be totaly dry when applyied. So further on any protection that need to be cured I apply early on the day. That includes glass sealant and glass coatings too.
    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jojo69 View Post
    In my case I applied around 3pm so I would guess-timate a solid 10hr+ of dry time before dew set it on the glass. Could it have impacted coating? Who knows, but certainly a variable to consider.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    The one thing I noticed is the high humidity you had when you applyied it. Could be that the dwell time where extended some. And don`t really know what impact dew has on coatings that are recommended to be fully cured after 24h. It could interfear with the water behavior maybe a little. And when it are to be getting a crazy water behavior it could have a big impact on it. How knows. Maybe the product is what you got too. That`s the water behavior and self cleaning ability it`s getting you. It`s hard to work outside with long cured products. I have the same problem with working outside.
    Likes jojo69 liked this post

Thread Information