Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash Mitts What`s Better: Sheep Skin -VS- Micro Fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    Is there a best quality micro fiber mitt or are they all made the same?
    Heh heh...every one of my MF mitts lints. Not that it`s a real problem when used for washing...

My mitts are always used "full of wash solution" whether IUDJ or shampoo mix even though I`m always spraying foamgun output when using shampoo.

IMO you need different mitts for different jobs, even on the same vehicle. Short/long nap, thick/thin, large/small...When I need to get down into a deep tight spot it takes a certain type of nap, when washing a large flat panel I might want something else, and when doing a coarse surface (e.g., gravel guard/etc.) I might want yet a *different* type. It`s just like BHBs; I use numerous different ones during every wash.

And of course, I`m *assuming* that everybody CD-tests their Wash (and Dry) Media....

Post Thanks / Like

Griot`s sells a sheepskin mitt that`s *really* soft/fluffy/fine in the sense of thin, whispy nap. Somehow reminds me of cotton candy! I *really* like it for some things, but !oh man! if you get the wrong type of (gritty) contamination in that thing it is indeed time to "pick at it like a monkey"!

It really is a neat mitt though, very different from my regular sheepskin ones and perfect for removing road film. Not that I`ve tried all the ones on the market these days...somebody else probably has the same thing, but I always get that type from Griot`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Griot`s sells a sheepskin mitt that`s *really* soft/fluffy/fine in the sense of thin, whispy nap. Somehow reminds me of cotton candy! I *really* like it for some things, but !oh man! if you get the wrong type of (gritty) contamination in that thing it is indeed time to "pick at it like a monkey"!

It really is a neat mitt though, very different from my regular sheepskin ones and perfect for removing road film. Not that I`ve tried all the ones on the market these days...somebody else probably has the same thing, but I always get that type from Griot`s.
    So what you`re saying is, this is how it will be after a detail if I use them?
    Monkey Cleaning.jpg
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This whole post will fall short of Autotopia, I`m sure.

I keep coming back to "fairly plain" natural sheep skin, not the wookie merino ones. I have found that they aren`t all the same, but the true manufacturer is always kept a secret and the store brand slaps their label on whatever they get, which changes from time to time. Some last years, some barely make a season, and they look almost identical prior to purchase.

Full of wash solution I have found they have the most glide and lowest friction. With a light touch, they hold all the dirt. I have never used a two bucket method. I do use a 5 gallon pail and when I dip the wash mitt I use an aggressive twisting back and forth to agitate the mitt. If really dirty for whatever reason I`ll get my other hand in there and rub my hands together in the wash solution. I`ve usually found the dirt all falls right off, and the rest of the good properties of the wool (gentle touch, good glide, deep nap) keep the nasties away from the paint. I`ve never had a wash marring problem in decades, though it`s usually been daily drivers I try to keep at "best in the parking lot" status and not a creampuff. I`m sure most of you could grab an inspection light and find something. To be far I`m washing off rain spray and grime, and sometimes winter road salt, not mud from offroading.

I need another mitt this season - I have none left and the one I`m using is breaking down (good old natural sheepskin - yuck). I`m thinking of trying to wookie style but in Canada that`s a boutique specialty item than can be hard to get and will definitely be expensive. I have a chenile/deadlock/whatever one and it has a LOT of surface friction. I don`t like using it.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    So what you`re saying is, this is how it will be after a detail if I use them?
    Wash Mitts What`s Better: Sheep Skin -VS- Micro Fiber?-monkey-cleaning.jpg
    Heh heh, hey...I like that

And yeah...you get the wrong [stuff] stuck in that (otherwise swell) Griot`s mitt and that`s exactly what it`ll be like! You`ll wish you had those extra monkeys to help out.

Post Thanks / Like

Surly- When I`m not ooohing and ahhing about that Griot`s mitt, I just use the regular, cheapie sheepskin ones too. Think I got mine from here or AG, can`t remember...just bought a few on sale and they last for ages.

I`m envious that you can avoid wash-induced marring without having to go off the deep end (like Yours Truly has to).

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have to eat what I pick out of it like the monkeys do, do I?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, guess that analogy only goes so far...or does it?!?

Post Thanks / Like

You think one of those monkeys would make a good wash mitt?
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

They aren`t all *that* different from that Griot`s mitt I was talking about! But they might get hard to hold onto when soaked in shampoo mix.

Post Thanks / Like

The MF madness Incredimit and the pad are great, so is the Gyeon Smoothie. There are also same quality non brand names available on ebay and there are poorer quality products. I have tired all 3 types and while there is small different in mf quality the biggest difference is the cheapest mitts dont have insert foams. This makes them a little flimsy to use.
    IMO the biggest difference in terms of scratches is the wash technique (1bm, 2bm, pre rinse, foam etc), how much pressure you apply (with enough pressure and time even the softest mf will scratch) and finally LSP (coated/sealed/waxed cars are more slick and dirt comes off with minimal pressure).
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information