Post Thanks / Like

Nanolex Si3D Coating

Finished up using the Nanolex Si3D coating yesterday, kinda an interesting application. All in all, it’s nice although visually nothing noteworthy that would make it stand out from many others. It did darken the paint a bit, not so much that it’s terribly noticeable; darkened a bit more overnight as it cured. The gloss is a notch or two below the Feynlab Ceramic + TopCoat which was one of the most ‘brilliant’ that I’ve used and it’s the type of gloss that lacks the depth of some others (Kamikaze ISM) and is a bit less visually fluid than 22ple HPC ‘molten glass’ type of gloss. Slicker surface than something like Cquartz and less than the recent Gyeon Skin release. I’d say the overall look is very similar to Gtechniq CSL with respect to gloss, depth, color darkening and surface feel.

I think I mainly went after this product because it was unavailable in the U.S. and perhaps I found that a bit intriguing. Nanolex SiShield is available which, I believe, is a slightly less potent version of Si3D. Coulda added Nanolex Si3D BC as a flexible basecoat but since that would have added another $109 to the tab (bringing the total to around $250 for 50ml setup), it seemed a bit excessive for something I’d likely never order again unless it was truly exceptional. We’ll have to see how it holds up going forward. Anyway, had the Si3D 50ml kit sent over from the UK and picked up the SiFinish from a regional vendor for Nanolex. I guess when ya take the overseas shipping outta the mix, $70 for 50ml is right in the lower-to-mid range of coating prices. The chemical smell of this product is quite strong, many who walked into the warehouse while I was doing it likened it to paint thinner. It`s quite possible it made me dizzy after extended periods but it`s hard to distinguish from my normal state of mind so who`s to say? The smell was strong enough that I finally wore some gloves when applying, although I`m not quite sure of the correlation between the smell and the need for gloves.

The application was quite interesting, I’m not sure if it’s more or less efficient but by the time I was running down the 2nd side of the 2014 Ford E250 (Race Red) was getting into a groove that allowed for quicker movement. As noted in the application instructions below, it’s not a “wipe on, wait to flash, buff off” but rather a “wipe on, work into paint until little to no residue remains, immediately buff off” deal, and if a 2nd coat is desired, apply to same are within 15 minutes. In addition to buffing off when little to no residue remains, the primary clue as to when to stop working the coating and begin buffing it off is when the applicator changes form slickly gliding across surface to being slightly grabby; once I got moving that became the key indicator as opposed to visual clues as it was a better barometer of when to stop applying and start removing. Letting things go a bit too long did lead to some stickier removal in sections but nothing terribly unwieldy. Proceeding in this manner meant I was really swapping out the applicator cloths much more frequently than normal; Nanolex includes 10 in the kit and I went thru all 10 easily, even flipping sides on each cloth to get a little more distance outta it. Used a short nap towel (Gyeon PolishWipe) for initial removal followed by RC Wizard for final buff. Temperature inside warehouse was around 62-65 degrees F.

It became a matter of finding ways to break the surface up into sections that I could complete the application/removal on in about 10 minutes, returning to the start of that section and then doing the 2nd coat. Areas like under door handles, pillars and such were slight impediments to the flow of this method due to the need to pay more attention/time to get those done with 2 coats in and of themselves. If there was a word that best described the application, maybe ‘briskly’ would suit it. Many of the instructions I read from various sources used the word ‘quickly’ quite often and that’s pretty much in comparison to other coatings more methodical approach. The applicator cloths were somewhat hardened the next day, for whatever that’s worth. Also, despite the instructions, I did not wash the applicator cloths prior to use because, well, I really couldn’t see washing (10) 4”x4” cloths without some kinda ‘incident’ in the washing machine.

Application video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sTPs-0lr4I

The SiFinish application was quite nice, no streaking or smudging. Very nice atomizing sprayer on bottle although I applied by spraying into Gyeon PolishWipe towel and giving it a final wipe with a RC Wizard towel. Added some gloss and definitely some slickness to the finish.

Kinda forgot that this particular vehicle was the one 1 had applied 2 coats of Gyeon One to about 3 weeks ago…oh well, have another vehicle done totally in Gyeon One so I can just watch that one to see how it goes. Van was/is a 2012 Ford E250 in Race Red, 105K hard miles, relatively good shape. Did the usual decon/clay and used Scholls S20 Black on blue Scholl spider pad on drivers side (Flex 3401), GG Correcting Cream w/ orange BOSS pad on passenger side (Rupes 15 Mk 2), a few spots with Megs D300/microfiber cutting disc and then went over hood with Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish on yellow pad just because I wanted to use a yellow pad, Kami plate and Rupes 15 for a bit as it’s just so nice to use; personal entertainment and all. Paint was in OK shape and I wasn’t going for perfection (left the deep stuff alone) as, well, sometimes ya just gotta draw a line in the sand with regard to practicality. Probably made it to about 75-80% and it looked very glossy and nice after polishing…i.e. ‘good enough’.

Although Nanolex included Nanolex EX panel wipe in the kit (probably the reason I went with the kit) I completely forgot about it and did prep wipedown with Gtechniq Panel Wipe, which I’m beginning to like more and more. Oh well, can never have too much panel wipe, no matter the brand.

Product Description:
    Nanolex Si3D
    Nanolex Si3D is an advanced silica-based coating that simultaneously protects and enhances the appearance of automotive paint. Developed in Germany, it uses the latest in low volatile content silicon (Si) technology to lay down a film of hybrid siloxane polymers and proprietary thermoplastic components that condenses rapidly to form a flexible matrix-like coating that bonds to painted surfaces at the molecular level. As a result, it provides excellent protection against bird droppings, bug splatter, brake dust, road salt and harmful UV radiation from the sun for up to two years at a time, even on daily drivers (it is impervious to cleaning chemicals and pressure washing, and once fully cured can only be removed by machine polishing).

However, the benefits imparted by Nanolex Si3D do not end with outstanding levels of protection and durability. Perhaps equally as importantly, treated surfaces become richer looking, more scratch resistant and more hydrophobic. This latter characteristic not only results in impressive beading upon contact with water, but also produces a strong self-cleaning effect (rainfall beads up and rolls off of treated surfaces, taking freshly deposited contaminants with it, akin to the Lotus Effect in nature). This results in treated bodywork staying appreciably cleaner for longer between routine washes. Currently, Nanolex Si3D can be bought separately or as part of two pre-packed kits, the contents of which are described in full below.

Nanolex Si3D 50ml Kit: $94.35 ($69.03 + $25.03 shipping)
    Kit Contains:
    - EX Residue Remover - 200ml
    - Si3D 50 ml
    - Applicator Block
    - Suede Applicator x 3
    - Microfibre Cloth x 2
    - Nitrile Gloves x 2

Nanolex SiFinish
    Nanolex SiFinish (200ml): $44.49 ($39.99 + $4.50 shipping)

Nanolex SiFinish is a water-based sealant containing silica compounds that are designed to bond to painted and coated surfaces. Nanolex SiFinish offers an incredibly high-gloss shine combined with outstanding water beading performance and leaves the surface smooth to the touch.

Nanolex SiFinish is designed to prevent water spotting, acting as a protective layer and lasting multiple months with just one application.

Nanolex SiFinish provides excellent protection for months by itself, and when used on top of previously-applied Nanolex coatings it will prolong the durability significantly, as well as leaving the paintwork looking as if a fresh coat of sealant had just been applied.

Apply Nanolex SiFinish to clean, dry, painted surfaces using a 2 - 3 sprays per panel and buff with a Nanolex microfiber cloth to high shine.

Nanolex SiFinish was developed, tested and produced in Germany.

Application:

Nanolex Si3D

IMPORTANT: Before you use a Nanolex Car Care product please make sure you wear suitable protection gear – we always recommend to use Nitril gloves to make sure your hands are protected from any possible damage to your skin.

Consumption:
    Sealant: appr. 6ml/m² (~50 ml for paint + rims)

Processing temperature: 5-30°C - Avoid direct sunlight and/or high air humidity.

1.1 Nanolex Si3D can be applied directly to all clear-coated (lacquered) surfaces. The lacquer surface must be dry and free of any contamination or dust. We strongly recommend to use Nanolex EX directly before the application to make sure that all oils/fillers and other dirt are removed completely from the surface. Use Nanolex microfiber towels and turn or exchange cloth frequently during cleaning/polishing.

1.2 If the car was machine polished before the application it is absolutely necessary to remove any (mostly invisible) fillers and oils – if those are not removed a white or grey hazing will appear on the paint once Si3D was applied. The paint sealant layer itself is too thin to be visible and can easily buffed off – only fillers and oils will become visible. We recommend to wash the car with Nanolex PreWash after the paint was machine polished to safely remove the majority of the contamination.

2. Shake bottle before use! Spread 5-10 drops/m2 of Nanolex Si3D on a microfiber applicator pad and apply it sparingly by rubbing in with light pressure in criss-cross motions until all of the product is evenly distributed and only very little residue is visible. Remove the coating residue with a soft microfiber cloth after a maximum of 3 minutes. There is no pressure necessary to remove it completely. It is possible to apply multiple layers of Si3D, if you do so make sure to apply them immediately after each other, or at most after 10 minutes after the previous layer was applied.

3. Let Nanolex Si3D cure on the surface for at least 12 hours (at ambient temperature, assuming 20°C) before the first water contact.

Do not wash the car within the first 72 hours.
    Curing time depending on temperature:
    @50°C: 3-4 hours
    @80°C: 2 hours
    Obligatory pics of red Ford van that was the subject of this particular adventure:
    Nanolex Si3D Coating-nanolex2.jpg
    Nanolex Si3D Coating-nanolex1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanolex Si3D Coating

Thanks for reviewing another coating. I never get tired of reading about your adventures in Coating Land.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great post BudgetPlan1,

I agree on the Panel wipe. Both Gtechniq and Nanolex EX do a great job for prep.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget always outstanding and nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had my 207 Allroad applied professionally and made the mistake by accepting one "very heavy" coat over the ordered and paid for 2 coats. What was I thinking? This was done about a year ago or so and I am not wowed by the results. I made mention of this in another thread. My car was totally garaged both at home and at work, so it has limited exposure to the elements, but particularly on the sides of the doors and below, the beading was limited, in fact just about gone. The hood and roof still bead up pretty well though. It seems there are now tons of coatings available, each one of them promising to have the latest and greatest formulation that makes buying their product the longest lasting, best looking product you can buy. But I guess that is typical sales hype for just about any product sold. I am very interested in your findings on this coating over time.

If I had another brand new car, I`m not sure what coating I would get, or if I would self apply or have professionally applied, but I don`t think I would get Nanolex again.

Post Thanks / Like

Nanolex Si3D Coating

You try any sort of Decontamination approach on the non beading parts. Iron remover tar remover couple reset washes etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    If I had another brand new car, I`m not sure what coating I would get, or if I would self apply or have professionally applied, but I don`t think I would get Nanolex again.
    In all honesty, I really don`t expect the Si3D to have the legs of some of the other stuff I`ve used. From reading about it (mostly European forums) it`s generally been mentioned as a mixed, middling product. Perhaps a reason Nanolex promotes Si3D BC as a base coat prior to Si3D itself.

I think it`s appeal for me was it`s quirky application and it`s unavailability in the US. I seem to enjoy trying things that are a little less popular with regards to mainstream use. I wasn`t wowed with the finished appearance, which was quite nice, but it just didn`t immediately stand out to me in any way, appearance, feel or other aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    You try any sort of Decontamination approach on the non beading parts. Iron remover tar remover couple reset washes etc ?

I think this is an important item to note; after 8500 hard, winter miles on my black, Kamikaze clad daily driver, when I got a chance to wash it a few weeks ago, it too was a little lacking in the vertical panels. Gyeon Tar along with some other concentrated washing with Bathe and Foam returned it to `just applied` performance again. The world is a harsh place in winter and when you can only truly wash once or twice in 5 months, I`d expect diminished performance on anything until a deep cleaning is done.

Now my wife`s winter car, only 7500 miles a year, mostly local, sails thru winter with no degradation in performance. Heavy freeway usage in the winter, with its attendant salt, brine and chemical driver usage, is a killer.

I`d guess not even the vaunted (and of questionable value) 17 layers of CeramicPro ain`t gonna make it thru that unscathed.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

Just looking back on an older post and you are right Matt. I only washed with GG shampoo, without any sort of decontamination products, so my rather harsh assessment of Nanloex was not really fair. I did not realize how tough road grime and salt were imbedded into the finish. Though I did apply some HydroSilex Marine spray coating some months ago (held up very well) I am looking forward to doing a proper paint decontamination and then adding product.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking back on an older post and you are right Matt. I only washed with GG shampoo, without any sort of decontamination products, so my rather harsh assessment of Nanloex was not really fair. I did not realize how tough road grime and salt were imbedded into the finish. Though I did apply some HydroSilex Marine spray coating some months ago (held up very well) I am looking forward to doing a proper paint decontamination and then adding product.
    FWIW, after a year now I`m not overly impressed with the Si3D coating. Did not stay nearly as clean as some of the others I have used. It was OK but nothing special. Interesting experience regardless.
    Thanks Tc99m, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you and respect your thorough testing, but that`s what is on my car, soooooooooo I will make the most of it and do the decon and then the whole rest of that project. But my comments were - as mentioned - not entirely fair since I was expecting the same beading on the lower panels as on my hood, which is unrealistic given the snow and salt. Right now, with basic upkeep and some HydroSilex Marine on it, things are holding up well.

rain.1.jpg

Thread Information