Professional Detailer Tyler Hoffarth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OBSSSSD Show Wax by Swissvax

When a client of mine reached out asking for his show vehicle, a 1968 Camaro SS to be polished and waxed, I knew I was going to have to source out a fantastic wax to top this incredible car with.

I decided to use the wax in this review - they OBSSSSD Show Wax by Swisswax.

Unfortunately, I did not take many photos during the process due to time restrictions on the job - but I did keep track of the notes that I will condense into a short review

Manufacturer Claims
    "Swissvax OBSSSSD Luxury Carnauba Show Wax is a high content Carnauba show wax containing 68% of yellow and non-bleached Grade One Carnauba wax from northeastern Brazil by Volume. Specially created by hand in our manufactory at the shores of Lake Greifensee for OBSSSSD Corp., Canada, this pleasantly fresh formulation, enhanced with oil extracts from passion fruits and apricots creates impressive `soft` reflections (specially on dark and non-metallic paintwork) making this high carnauba content show wax one of the most forgiving waxes on the market. Excellent beading and sheeting capabilities was achieved by composing hard waxes as a catalyst to create an extended durability in difficult climatic regions."

Product - Sights, Smells & More

For some, the smell of a wax is very important - and this wax will not disappoint. It has an extremely rich, pleasant fruit scent that is (bluntly put) intoxicating (and lasts for long after application). Visually, nothing to note. It`s not a soft wax, and is harder and has a slightly `gritty` texture to it. Because of this, it does mean it can crumble a bit more than expected, but nothing that causes concern during application. I found having the wax warm / room temp prior to use remedied any crumbling issues that could potentially arise, even though I did not experience these anyway.

Application

Application is a breeze. As the texture is a bit gritty and the wax quite hard at first, it does take a bit more to `prime` an applicator pad than other waxes. Again, a small detail but one to note. I found that rubbing the applicator in the wax, `warming` it, helped significantly with this. It should be noted once the applicator is primed, the wax goes a LONG ways. The small 50ml pot I used could easily treat 2-4 vehicles with a couple of coats per.

For the application process, I first primed the pad, then applied in straight back-and-forth lines as per the manufacturer recommendation. This worked well, and spread the product thin and evenly. I was able to apply the wax to the entirety of the vehicle before beginning removal, which was a 12-16 minute venture (roughly). I believe that I could have waited even longer, as the wax is extremely forgiving in this area based on my testing in other controlled and non-controlled environments.

Removal was incredibly easy - more than I imagined it would be. Using a wax removal towel (I suggest Swissvax), the wax came off smoothly with one wipe. I did give a second pass on a fresh side in case I missed any areas, but to my surprise the wax left very little to no residue-spots like I have experienced on other waxes. There was no greasiness during removal, nor was there any dusting present. A great feat to accomplish both to the extent it did, as most waxes fall short in one area where this does not.

Additional coats were applied 12 hours after the first coat. Note: I find having three (3) layers on the paintwork brings out the gloss and `wet` look best. I haven`t exceeded 3 coats yet, but did find that while a single coat did look amazing, having those additional coats brought on a depth and shine that blew me away. It has a soft, yet rich and `deep` wet look that truly looks like wet wax just pooling on the surface.

DARKENING - Yes this wax WILL darken black paintwork. This was confirmed on another clients vehicle where we applied (3) coats to the hood of the vehicle, and were able to visually see the difference in paint depth and black levels between the sides waxed, vs non-waxed. We even tossed a couple other waxes on the other side to see how they would compare - and while they did darken the paint as well with a couple layers, none of them touched the rich darkening and glossy appearance of OBSSSSD.

Results

Beading and sheeting was what is to be expected - fantastic, tight beads that easily slide off the surface with a little wind or driving. Nothing you haven`t seen before - but it will definitely be near the top of your list in terms of beading characteristics and overall sheeting capabilities. Often I find many people believe beads are the best - which sure, they look great - but I want sheeting; this wax sheets and releases water incredibly easy... even more-so than many of the professional coatings I use!

You may notice that I did not comment on durability on this review - this is because durability is not the purpose of this wax. It was designed specifically to enhance finishes on vehicles that require the best appearances money can buy - and as I have tried various waxes in similar price brackets, I am confident this is by far the best of the bunch thus far. However, I have applied it to other vehicles that I did not see for ~5 months, and beading was still strong!

In conclusion
    , I cannot stress enough the impressiveness of this wax. It has what many will think is a high price tag, but in real-world applications, it holds its own and performs exactly, if not better than the manufacturer claims, making it worth every penny. The appearances far exceed other premium waxes I have used in the past (Swissvax, Zymol, Griots, Pinnacle, etc)., and looks absolutely fantastic on darker colors. I have yet to try it on lighter colored vehicles, but cannot wait to try. The beading was on point and very strong, holding up over months of casual driving, and even repelled dust more than expected for such a high carnauba content wax.

Thanks for reading, and let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them based on my experience with the product!

- Tyler Hoffarth
    Owner of Unleashed Auto Care
    www.unleashedautocare.com

Proudly Serving Automotive Enthusiasts Across Saskatchewan

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: OBSSSSD Show Wax by Swissvax

Great review Tyler! OBSSSSD Show Wax by SwissvaxOBSSSSD Show Wax by SwissvaxOBSSSSD Show Wax by Swissvax
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes Tyler Hoffarth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Great review Tyler! OBSSSSD Show Wax by SwissvaxOBSSSSD Show Wax by SwissvaxOBSSSSD Show Wax by Swissvax
    Thank you! It was a great car to work on.

The OBSSSSD wax is truly worth the investment if you have the correct application for it. I don`t regret the purchase at all, and will be getting more come next season.

Their entire product line, actually, is fantastic. I believe CarPro in the US sells it, and Auto Obsessed in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

YEOW ! WOW!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Swissvax Onyx on a lot of cars. Al their waxes have a gritty texture. You can use the bare hand technique to melt it and apply to the paint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Slick View Post
    I use Swissvax Onyx on a lot of cars. Al their waxes have a gritty texture. You can use the bare hand technique to melt it and apply to the paint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That is how I used it on another vehicle (1971 Plymouth Duster) and it worked great. Used hand application for the first coat, and by foam applicator for the subsequent layers.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thread Information