Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax products

Folks
    I`ve been readin the posts on this forum and have a question.

The only Turtle Wax product I`ve heard raves about is the CD2 Engine Detailer.

What about it`s wax line for example this http://www.autobarn.net/tuwaxulglliw.html

Nobody has tried them?
    or
    their products have been tried and found not up to the mark ?
    or
    they are so easily avaiable that they are relegated to the otc category and forgotten?

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax products

I`ve read many good posts and praises for their OTC Ultra Wax.

I did try their Ultra line wheel cleaner (there`s a review on DC) and found it to be horrible.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandblah
    Folks

What about it`s wax line for example this http://www.autobarn.net/tuwaxulglliw.html

Nobody has tried them?
    or
    or
    they are so easily avaiable that they are relegated to the otc category and forgotten?

Thoughts?
    I think it all depends on what results you are looking for in a wax...TW has been around forever and at one time everyone used them....I do think that they failed to keep up with the new technologies in car care that are available on the market today....meaning the smaller producers like PB line as an example....however they do make a decent product for some as long as you are happy with the results
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandblah
    Folks

Nobody has tried them?
    or
    or

Thoughts?
    gandblah

Its not that we haven`t found them up to par. More times then none... detailing is more about the processes and techniques used than the products used to achieve them. I have seen first hand on this board someone detail an entire car with turtle wax. Post the results with the title of guess which LSP and people were guessing all types of products. Only one person guessed turtle wax and it was a complete guess. (I tried looking for the thread but it was so long ago it may have been lost when they updated to the new format)

Point of my post... The products we use generally have a few things in common.
    Easy of use...the chemicals in the products a lot of us use are refined that much further making them extremely easy to apply and remove.

Specific products... a lot of the "Over the Counter" (OTC) products are generalized all in one products (cleaner/polish/sealer) these products can be great when used properly the generally don`t achieve the same results as going through and doing the processes 1 by 1 with products designed specifically for that task.

The one thing that the general public doesn`t understand is the common use of the term "I`m going to WAX my car today" the use of that word in that sentence is very misconceiving as literally waxing a car only will protect the cars surface for ~30 days. There is a lot more to achieving show room results and more so in keeping that show room shine.

OK ill stop now .. I`m blabbing!
    There is only one boss.THE CUSTOMER! And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Focusedonsound
    The one thing that the general public doesn`t understand is the common use of the term "I`m going to WAX my car today" the use of that word in that sentence is very misconceiving as literally waxing a car only will protect the cars surface for ~30 days. There is a lot more to achieving show room results and more so in keeping that show room shine.

OK ill stop now .. I`m blabbing!

This could not be more true about what people say about waxing their cars
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There`s not really much more that can be said which Focusedonsound hasn`t already stated.

To put it briefly Turtle Wax products are designed and marketed toward a certain segment . . . the general consumer. So, they`re not really appealing to other segments like the detailing enthusiast. Car care products don`t have to be expensive to be good. However, as already mentioned a lot of TW products are "all-in-one" type products and so are not as flexible as some other product lines which take a different approach.

This being said, the only TW products I use are the aforementioned CD2 Engine Detailer and TW Bug & Tar Remover (the one in the white metal bottle).

Post Thanks / Like

If you live near a Big Lots (you might want to throw up a location on your profile) they have that wax there and it`s cheap. I think $2.99 or $3.99.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - thats where I saw it and wondered coz it goes for much more even at Walmart..

Thanks for the reply guys....what you said makes sense.

Thread Information