Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel: Bond, Black Bond: initial thoughts and observations, and a longevity test

Guilty. I`m just a big kid in a candy shine shop.

I received a nice random bonus for doing my (day) job so I wanted to treat myself. I did the first thing any absurd waxwaster would do and ordered some stuff I wanted to convince myself I needed. If you don`t get that statement, then all I can politely say is you might not have a problem, yet. Polish Angel: Bond, Black Bond: initial thoughts and observations, and a longevity test Otherwise some of you Autopians know where I`m coming from.

Ok back to the point at hand...that waxwaster`s epistemological dilemma of cost benefit analysis. [screech] Wow, maybe I`m getting ahead of myself.

I digress...

So let`s talk about that faded plastic elephant in ALL my Frontier`s pics that you all have been so polite to not harass me for.

Hence aforementioned thread title...

tools...

sally beauty supply, pretty useful...forgot I bought these, two years ago, whoops

how can you beat this? bottled (In Germany) three days before use (In Texas). ha

prep..n914 ww spray on trim panel. then a couple rounds of optimum paint prep spray and wipe downs

applied Heavy..I mean look at this sad trim

this is almost immediately after alplication

I then did the rest of that half of the trim, heavy

waited 10-15 mins and removed

waited 15 mins, applied again- why not?

waited, removed..photo shoot

2nd half (passenger side) I didn`t apply it as heavily and you can tell it is not as black as the drivers side

-thoughts:
    So far so good.
    Definitely looks better.

Worth the $? Well this 50ml was $60 which is a little procier than other options but I believe I saw PA say this can last up to 2 years.

Of course, I`ll judge the duration of at least my application within this thread.

It`s not sold here, yes. But Autopia has the largest selection of PA for any US retailer and I`m pretty sure had it before that (one) other site, just saying.

Autopia introduced me to PA so I will always introduce Autopia to more of it.

For this piece alone (and the few drops I used for my other trim..as well as this piece which I regret not getting a before pic of, but it was at the `let`s just replace you` stage

it`s not perfect but it used to look like a chalky mess

I`m very interested to see how this holds up.

I used maybe 5ml, probably less for this trim piece and the one and a half door handles and half of a window trim piece.

And just to clarify, I only opened this bottle because I parked my truck in my garage to load it up, over the course of the nignt, for the job the next day. And if course I ended up detailing something on it in that same evening, but I couldn`t devote all the time necessary to all trim pieces...yet.

also did the metal on the wipers to see if it would hold up (blades are 4 years old..never need to use them anyways)

Sode note, PA site says to not expose to water for 10 hrs..well since Murphys Law is my first cousin, once I pulled my fully loaded uo truck out of the garage the next day (at 7hrs cured) it was raining.

I didn`t wipe ot down after the 60 mile drive but also didn`t see any negative effects like water spots or streaks.

That should cover the initial post.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Next up for this, the SRT.

Brandt K.
    Thanks Diner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish Angel: Bond, Black Bond: initial thoughts and observations, and a longevity test

Nicley done...512
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish Angel: Bond, Black Bond: initial thoughts and observations, and a longevity test

Cool.

Break out a new advent calendar and lets see how long it lasts.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got a chance to use it. Held up on my mom in law’s Subaru Forester for over 9 months so far.
    Likes Ronkh, 512detail liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Glad you got a chance to use it. Held up on my mom in law’s Subaru Forester for over 9 months so far.
    Cool
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    that`s good to know, thanks Mike

previously the best luck I`ve had with fixing that trim was about 3 weeks of darkening effect at a time with the same, if not more initial labor involved

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

sky beads

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff.

I also like the idea of using those wedges!

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered Black Bond a few weeks ago and just had a chance to try it yesterday. I was expecting it to have a creamy consistency (as the PA coatings do), but it is very runny.

Applied it to the "b" pillars of my Park Avenue and let it cure for the recommended 10 hours.

Worked great Polish Angel: Bond, Black Bond: initial thoughts and observations, and a longevity test! I`m very pleased. Prepped the trim with Mothers B2B Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner and then straight to Black Bond.

If the durability is as claimed this product is excellent.

How`s it holding up on the Frontier?
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I ordered Black Bond a few weeks ago and just had a chance to try it yesterday. I was expecting it to have a creamy consistency (as the PA coatings do), but it is very runny.

Applied it to the "b" pillars of my Park Avenue and let it cure for the recommended 10 hours.

Worked great Polish Angel: Bond, Black Bond: initial thoughts and observations, and a longevity test! I`m very pleased. Prepped the trim with Mothers B2B Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner and then straight to Black Bond.

If the durability is as claimed this product is excellent.

How`s it holding up on the Frontier?
    So far so good but I`m skeptic about the durability claim of (I swear I read) up to two years.

How long after applied did you remove? I was doing about 10 minutes. And let it sit 10 hrs after that but I think mine got rained on 8 hrs later or so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    How long after applied did you remove? I was doing about 10 minutes. And let it sit 10 hrs after that but I think mine got rained on 8 hrs later or so.

I really over applied it on the drivers side, as I expected it to be thicker than it actually is. Ended up with more on the foam applicator than I had intended. After letting it soak in for a good 20 minutes I then blew it with my Master Blaster Sidekick before wiping. That worked fine.

Used less product on passenger side and wiped after about 20 minutes.

As with all PA Products, a little goes a long way with this stuff.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Washed truck today. Still playing with the new phone

Going to black bond the other plastic and try on the running boards vs maybe dlux

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing what I started...some parts may be too far gone..

Brandt K.
    Likes grungy, Ronkh, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Continuing...half the bottle is gone already and I had to use dlux for some of the harder plastics as it seemed to bring more gloss

Time will tell, but quite frankly I think dlux may have it beat on several factors such as gloss (black bond is more matte, dlux is more sheen-I guess it depends on your preference.

Price-dlux is 20/bottle cheaper. You could get 3 bottles of dlux for two bottles of black bond.

I don`t observe any noticeable difference in application, and keep in mind I`m dealing with 11 year old pieces here.

I tell you what tho...This truck is looking SHARP now

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt - I`ve ordered the McGee`s trim restore, so if you want to try some, give me a PM or a ring. Won`t be here until Thursday from the tracking on FEDEX.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information