Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

"Wet Paint Glaze", first impressions

Since I`m always a sucker for the new/different things that come out, (must have bought and given away close to 50), I decided to try the "Wet Paint" product. Called their number and was referred to a distributor in my area. That seemed like a good move on their part. Helped their distributor and saved me the shipping charge. Picked it up at a large Chevrolet dealer in Des Moines. The guy there asked if I had used it before and commented that they had a lot of customers that really liked the product.

32 oz. with the AIRosol spray bottle is called their "Combo Pack". $20.98 + tax.

Well packaged with good instructions on the refill bottle, the spray bottle and an instruction sheet inside the package.

Pump/spray bottle works good at dispensing the product in a fine mist.

I used a cotton terry towel to spread the product and rub it into the paint as recommended by WP and RTexasF.

Cleaning ability was not nearly as good as I had expected. The vehicle had been rinsed off with plain water to remove most of the dust before using the WP. Poorboy`s S&W wins the cleaning comparison by a whole bunch. In fact, I used S&W to remove several water spots, tar spots, bug spots that the WP wasn`t getting. In fairness to WP, they don`t recommend using it for bug removal. I`m guess I`m spoiled in being able to use the S&W to remove just about anything except caked mud/salt.

It was easy enough to spread and rub into the finish as recommended, but did require much more effort than S&W. There again, WP is supposed to be cleaning/polishing the paint while the S&W is just removing dirt. When I had done the entire vehicle, including the glass, I removed the haze with a plush MF towel.

The vehicle was my single stage lacquer Corvette and the results were amazing. The WP must have some fillers in it because many of the flaws in my old paint were well hidden. No marring and a nice shiny wet look. Very slick feel. The windows looked very good as well.

Given my results with the "Wet Paint", I don`t think it will be used on any dirty vehicles, but I may use it as the LSP for the old Corvette.

As far as time saving, I think I could clean with S&W and apply a coat of Collinite IW about as quick as I was able to do the WP application and removal. It would probably be a toss-up as to the time needed.

Based on my first impression, I doubt that I will use it on the Montana or the GTP. It will probably be used on the Corvette a few times to see what the lasting impressions are.
    I will also be trying it on my boat next week and will comment on how it does there.

It is a product that I think I will use some, but it definitely isn`t going to replace my present products.

Charles

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Wet Paint Glaze", first impressions

Thanks for the very informative review Charles!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Good review, thank you. You`ll find that the second coat will require less product and effort than the first. The look/slickness improves a bit more after the 2nd time. I also use Poor Boy`s S&W to remove the dust and light crud.

My experimentation has changed my use of it. Instead of an LSP I use it as a base, applied twice, then top with FK-1 FX100 or #425 for a quick spiff......just a suggestion. NO intent to hijack this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. Look forward to hearing your comments on the second application to see if you observations change.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Only 1 comment. Got pics?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klnyc
    Only 1 comment. Got pics?
    While I don`t do a lot of pictures, here`s a few.
    (Excuse the cheap camera, I don`t do a lot of pictures.)

The last two don`t have anything to do with "Wet Paint", but you did ask for pictures.
    The one with the initial is my Lloyd mats that it took 3 phone calls to assure them that I wanted a red initial on the red mat. They thought it should be white, silver or gold. I finally convinced them to do the red.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Charles thanks allot very compressive as usual and I reallt didn`t expect muc more from this product after reading their web site
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I have never in all my years sen a website that had so many finely detailed cars in one spot. Doesn;t matter if I liek the car or not, I get all giggly seeing a beautifully detailed vehicle.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Pics!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats awesome!!!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

A little brain fade on my part.
    The pictures were after a second use of the WP. It did take less product and it was easier to use for the second application. All in all, a product that has its place, but not one that I feel I can`t live without.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Charles, the Vette is looking good. From the pics posted WP looks to be a promissing product. The red Vette was a great car/color to use as a test subject. The paint looks wet with plenty of depth.
    Is this a product better suited for newer cars or older paint in
    excellent condotion?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Charles, the Vette is looking good. From the pics posted WP looks to be a promissing product. The red Vette was a great car/color to use as a test subject. The paint looks wet with plenty of depth.
    Is this a product better suited for newer cars or older paint in
    excellent condotion?
    From my use, it would seem to be OK for either newer or older paint. They make some pretty strong claims for its paint cleaning capability on older paint, but in my case, that paint cleaning capability wasn`t needed. I did try it on the Montana and had the same results. The Montana is white so it didn`t have the depth or wet look of the red.

IMO, if a professional detailer is looking for a quick easy way to turn out some work, a wash job followed by Poorboy`s PwC or Meguiar`s #66 would be hard to beat. The PwC works good on decent paint and the #66 is strong enough to be used on some pretty nasty paint.
    It`s awfully hard to beat a three step process for the overall results, but the one step products aren`t terrible.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to order the product and do a review.
    Seems to me people are skeptical of these types of products and
    claims made by the manufactor.A BIG TO You Charles.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I know that you have spoken highly of S&W so i know that you like it. I am wondering what product or products that you do not want to live without if the review product of this thread is one that you could live without?

I am sure that the Vette is in terrific shape. The pictures show that it looks terrific. Given that it is already in terrific shape does the new product advance the look at all? Is it the same? Or is it less than what was previously on the vehicle?
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information