Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Wet Paint Glaze", first impressions

On finishes that bad I`ve found that using the PC with a cutting pad and Wet Paint worked well. I don`t attempt to do one that rough by hand. But again, I`ve had a year to experiment with the stuff too.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, RTF,

What technique do you use to apply WP with a PC? Are you spraying on to the car or the pad? And how much are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked
    Hey, RTF,

What technique do you use to apply WP with a PC? Are you spraying on to the car or the pad? And how much are you using?
    I prime the pad initially and then spray some on the area I`m going to work on. I use a bit more product until the pad is saturated then a normal amount, it doesn`t take much. From that point it`s just like any other application. Work the area at low speed then turn it up and let the product do its thing until it almost disappears. Go on to the next area and repeat. Wipe it off when you`re done...I prefer a microfiber for wipe down.

Trying to work really bad paint by hand with any product is a waste of time and energy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    I prime the pad initially and then spray some on the area I`m going to work on. I use a bit more product until the pad is saturated then a normal amount, it doesn`t take much. From that point it`s just like any other application. Work the area at low speed then turn it up and let the product do its thing until it almost disappears. Go on to the next area and repeat. Wipe it off when you`re done...I prefer a microfiber for wipe down.

Trying to work really bad paint by hand with any product is a waste of time and energy.
    Thanks--I`ll give it a try via PC and a light cutting pad next time. I actually tried it on a small area with the PC, but since it was my first time with WP, I used a finishing pad. After that didn`t work, I put away the WP and went with the cleaner was via PC and polishing pad. Next time I get bad paint and the customer wants a cheapie, I`ll try the cutting pad.

OTOH, if I`m going to use a PC and a pad, I might as well use a polish or AIO type product like PWC or AIO. Part of the attraction of WP was the wipe-on, wipe-off. I guess I just don`t like neglecting bad paint and feel the need to fix it~!

Post Thanks / Like

I completely understand but in spite of my inner need to make a job "perfect", so to speak, I do what I am paid for and a little extra. I`ve disciplined myself to find out what they want, what they`ll pay for, and do just that.... and a little bit more. The little bit more might be an engine cleaning or getting a spot out of the carpet, something I wasn`t asked to do. I make sure they are aware of the little extra and it`s always appreciated.

Tomorrow, for instance, I`m going to rewash a car. Last time I did it the lady got caught in a rainshower the same day. I told her to bring it over and I`ll give it a quicky clean at no charge. I`ll be using WP on it. She`ll be back in the future.

Sorry, strayed waaayy off topic here.

The WP is not a miracle worker but it has its place used on paint in reasonable condition. Would you have honestly expected ANY wipe on-wipe off product to make a dent in the Jetta? Even AIO done by hand wouldn`t have touched it by your description of the paint condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    I completely understand but in spite of my inner need to make a job "perfect", so to speak, I do what I am paid for and a little extra. I`ve disciplined myself to find out what they want, what they`ll pay for, and do just that.... and a little bit more. The little bit more might be an engine cleaning or getting a spot out of the carpet, something I wasn`t asked to do. I make sure they are aware of the little extra and it`s always appreciated.

Tomorrow, for instance, I`m going to rewash a car. Last time I did it the lady got caught in a rainshower the same day. I told her to bring it over and I`ll give it a quicky clean at no charge. I`ll be using WP on it. She`ll be back in the future.

Sorry, strayed waaayy off topic here.

The WP is not a miracle worker but it has its place used on paint in reasonable condition. Would you have honestly expected ANY wipe on-wipe off product to make a dent in the Jetta? Even AIO done by hand wouldn`t have touched it by your description of the paint condition.
    Do you have any pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

I don`t have pics of any of the jobs I`ve done. Due to my inexperience it takes me forever and a day (it seems) to complete a job unless it is a real quickie. I have a few shots of our cars after I`ve detailed them but that`s it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few shots I`ve posted on a Honda forum I frequent. All were done by hand using WP as a base followed by Finsh Kare`s FX-100 and #425 for enhancement. And no.....I`m not a tidy housekeeper as far as the garage goes. 1st three are the obligatory hood shots, click to enlarge on all.
    I`d like every job I take on to turn out this well but time and money dictate the results. These two cars are my "business cards" so to speak. Since they are garage queens a full polish with the PC is only needed about once a year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information