Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Coating Applicator cloths...

Interesting item; have seen some coatings (Pearl Nano was one) come with microfiber applicator pads but never gave `em a try. Saw these, perked up when said `helps with linting` and decided what the heck. Turns out they were quite nice, so far anyway.

Description:
    Throughout a lot of testing and evaluation, we have worked with manufacturers to develop a microfiber coating applicator cloth that more easily glides over the surface of paintwork to more evenly apply coating.

These microfiber applicator cloths allow for easier coating application over sharp angles and body lines of panels, where a thinner cloth might create a more difficult application process. The microfiber applicator cloth also holds more coating within its fibers, allowing for more even application.

These first came to my attention when watching a coating/product video that briefly mentioned dusting/linting issues while applying a coating. As I had experienced similar issues in my garage a bit last summer, figr’d I’d give them a try and see how it worked out. Much like the description above, they do hold more product in a ‘usable’ (i.e. not cured yet) state when applying coatings. The standard microsuede applicator on a block becomes a bit sticky with more drag (indicating a need for more product to be applied to applicator) much sooner than these applicator cloths do. The coating applied to them, while initial priming is slightly heavier, seems to stay in a freshly ‘spreadable state’ far longer than a microsuede, allowing for greater area coverage without reloading. Obviously the area covered and it’s limits depends mostly on the flash time between application/removal but for those more forgiving coatings (i.e Kamikaze Miyabi, Feynlab Ceramic and 22ple HPC among others) you can cover far more area with fewer stops to apply more product. Even with Gyeon Mohs, with its relatively short flash time, I was able to quickly and more evenly apply to a section much quicker than with a microsuede cloth. It’s almost like/as easy as applying Gyeon Cancoat, just in smaller areas…to me, it just made the whole application process quicker and easier.

As for the linting aspect, I can’t specifically say this solved the problem but I can say that using them with both The Gloss Shop Ceramic V2 and Gyeon Mohs, I didn’t experience any of the linting/dust issues that I did using the microsuede applicator cloths. While a microsuede cloth would just seem to create/push fine dust/lint around the panel, I don’t know whether or not this picked up that dust or just didn’t cause/release the dust like I had previously experienced with microsuede.

Having used Mohs before on an identical model vehicle, I was aware of product usage for this specific case and using these cloths didn’t use any more product than when I used microsuede and perhaps even used slightly less. I do know that I finished each coat much quicker and easier, and the finished surface was at the very least, as equally smooth and coverage was equally as even as previous applications. Also, I had to stop and re-apply to applicator about 25% less frequently than when I used microsuede.

Doing a car with Kami ISM in a week or two; ISM is a pretty thick coating so we`ll see how that works out.

Microfiber Coating Applicator cloths...-app-cloth.jpg

I did pop the standard ‘drip-top’ off each bottle of coating, instead using some disposable plastic pipettes (Amazon) to apply the coating to the applicator so it’s possible that played some role in easier application as well…dunno for sure but may as well throw that variable out there too. Much nicer way (for me) to apply product to pad than eye dropper or standard `drip top`

Microfiber Coating Applicator cloths...-pipette.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Oneheadlite, nickclark08, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Coating Applicator cloths...

Nicely done, Budget...you bring great items on the board
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Oneheadlite, nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice I watched the Esoteric video where the used the MFs to apply the Kami Miyabi coating. I think it was the obssessed garage episode with Matt Moremans new GT3RS. I was thinking about ordering some or just cutting some of my standard MFs to a smaller size to see how it does on my own car first ofcourse.

EDIT: I also bought a pack of the 100 pack of pipettes from amazon! Much easier to dispense the product
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    I was thinking about ordering some...
    For some reason I got a couple of paks thinking they would soak up product quickly and I`d use 10 a car or something. While they do soak up product quickly, they hold it in manner that allowed me to use only 1 or 2 per car. Point is, I have a pack I will never get to using this year...PM me your address and I`ll send ya a pack of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    EDIT: I also bought a pack of the 100 pack of pipettes from amazon! Much easier to dispense the product
    Great way to apply product, much more precise...
    Likes Diner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget...always the example of a gracious person on the forum, nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Budget...always the example of a gracious person on the forum, nicely done
    I was gonna say - Could this forum have a better bunch of folks?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    For some dumb reason I ordered a couple of paks thinking they would soak up product quickly and I`d use 10 a car or something. While they do soak up product quickly, they hold it in manner that allowed me to use only 1 or 2 per car. Point is, I have a pack I will never get to using this year...PM me your address and I`ll send ya a pack of 10.

Great way to apply product, much more precise...
    Budget you are much to kind and I really appreciate the generosity of your offer!
    Likes atgonzales liked this post

Thread Information