Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: The Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2

Sometime back budgetplan send me a bottle of theglossshop coating. ( thank you again ) I had planned on using it on the Buick that is always outside. With doctor visits in KC going into November. I didn`t see me getting it done on it. As slow as I am and the amount of prep it wasn`t going to happen this year. So worried about the shelf life, I decided to coat the Camaro. Less car to prep since no roof. The amount of prep needed was very minimal. I was never satisfied with the hood from past correction. So it did a two stage on it again. Including two stage on the vinyl decal. Then just for peace of mind I went over the rest of the car with just the hyper polish.

i was a bit worried about applying a coating. Using only one hand I thought I might be to slow to keep up with it. Second when wiping I can`t hold a light to make sure I have no high spots. For the light I dug out a headband light. It actually worked pretty well for me.

I didnt have have to worry about speed with this coating. The only parts I broke down were the bumpers, and the hood. The rest of the panels I applied to the whole panel before wiping them. Wiping was super easy, Took no real effort. That was yesterday, this morning I pulled the car out in the sun to see if I could find any high spots. I found one, so I applied some more coating to that spot rather heavy. Let it sit for about 3-4 minutes. Then leveled the spot. The high spot was now gone.

I then pulled the car car back in the garage and applied a second coat. Just in case I didn`t get good coverage somewhere. It went even quicker than the first coat.

Tomorrow I will pull the car out and take some pictures.

i had emailed Richard at e gloss shop awhile back about layering the coating. This was his response to that email.

Hi Kenneth,

Our coating can definitely be layered.
    I recommend waiting 12 hours between layers if air drying to give time for bonding and solvent evaporation.
    This time is very similar to paint sealant cure time. You will notice that each additional layer goes on and removes much easier than the initial.
    You will also use less product. Two layers will ensure even coverage, but more than three is reaching waste of time and product.
    When applying to glass please take note of recommended removal time of no more than two minutes. The coating becomes tacky and can be slightly tougher
    to remove. Your second layer will be much easier than the first.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Richard
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Diner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting back, always good to hear of experiences to see if they mirror mine.

I`ll have to look at the truck I did 20 months ago to see what`s up with it; saw it today but not closely. Guaranteed it`s been washed maybe once or twice since then, touchless tunnel.

Thanks for reporting back, looking forward to updates.

And yep, Richard W is a good guy, very cool.
    Likes SWETM, Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Product Review: The Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2

Thinking about the coating last night, and from looking at the car this morning. I would say this coating (do I dare say) is accumulator proof. I really had no issues in getting great results, and was as easy as applying souverän. The look is definitely different than it looks with souverän. Souverän actually made the yellow a little darker warmer color especially in lower lighting situations. It`s now a brighter glass sheen to it. The paint feels very smooth not grabby at all. It`s not as slick as the souverän is. Why put it on this car? My hope is that I have to touch the paint even less. Be able to pull the car out rinse the dust off, blow dry it.

I won`t be able to give durability updates on it. Just isn`t a fair to say it lasts 5+ years. Heck souverän lasts about three months on it.

From the drivers seat the hood looks like a mirror now.

Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.
    Likes Diner, BudgetPlan1, waynvision, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks waynvision thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s been almost two months since coating the camaro with the gloss shop coating. I have a question about it, and I guess coatings in general. Since coating it, I can see any and every finger print from a mile away. Is this a product of this coating, or are all coatings like that?

Before i get chastised for touching the paint. My son with his autism. Touchs things as one of his mannerisms. He has even said it bothers him sometimes, but can`t not do it. So fingerprints are going to happen, just life at my house .

I`m not so worried about the touching. Im wondering if all coatings show them more readily, and the best thing gor me to use to clean them off. Short of a full wash of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve notice that on my cquartz when Car is clean...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Thinking about the coating last night, and from looking at the car this morning. I would say this coating (do I dare say) is accumulator proof...
    Hey, I somehow missed that! Sounds good ease-of application-wise

... The paint feels very smooth not grabby at all...[BUT].. It`s not as slick as the souverän is...
    Huh, interesting. Well, as long as it sheds [stuff] well I guess it doesn`t matter.

Since coating it, I can see any and every finger print from a mile away...
    Huh, I find that interesting too..glad you`re posting this info.

Post Thanks / Like

I just washed the car. First time since it was coated. First time seeing the water behavior too. It sheds water like I`ve only seen fusso coat do. It was mostly dust, which rinsed pretty much off with the hose per rinse. From what I could see all but three bugs was gone with the pre rinse. The three left washed off with one quick/ light wipe with the wash. There was a quarter size spot of tar on the front fender back near the door. It wiped tight off just like the few bugs.

Im impressed with it. It gives me motivation to get a coating going on the Buick in the spring.

The one one down fall is those fingerprints, and even that won`t bother me on the white Buick.

Edit: I had coated the plastic parts too, The cowling, grill, rear defuser. To me the water behavior, and cleaning of those parts, was on par with the painted parts.

I also note I didn`t coat the glass.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’ve notice that on my cquartz when Car is clean...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I`m assuming then it`s that way with all coatings. So does anyone have a best practice method for cleaning them between washes?

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Glad it cleaned up so well, that sounds great...just what you were after, huh?

I wonder what kind of [something] might help with the fingerprints...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

I wonder what kind of [something] might help with the fingerprints...

i don`t want you dry wipe the fingerprints off of course. Not sure if a QD is appropriate on coatings. I`ve never used a waterless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m assuming then it`s that way with all coatings. So does anyone have a best practice method for cleaning them between washes?
    A waterless wash will be just fine.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i don`t want you dry wipe the fingerprints off of course. Not sure if a QD is appropriate on coatings. I`ve never used a waterless wash.
    The McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash in QD/waterless wash dilution is an option that leaves nothing behind to not interfear with the coating behavior. Also Carpro EcH2O is a great one. It does leaves SiO2 and glossenhancers behind but they are made for being compatible with coatings. Dilute it to QD dilution or waterless wash dilution. Both are versitale products to have when you have coating on your car. You have the dedicated QDs of Gyeon Quick Detailer and Carpro Elixir. The N-914 and EcH2O makes them to an awesome value since you dilute them you get a lot of RTU QD solution from them.

Strange thing with the finger prints beeing so noticeble. A thought that comes to mind is nature of the hydrophobic layer of coatings which tries to mimick the Lotus effect you see on the Lotus flowers leaf. This is not so smooth feeling and a grabbyness from it is quite high. Maybe this can do so the finger prints beeing more visual in some way. But any of QDs mentioned will be getting them off with ease I think.
    Likes Coleroad, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Yep, good guy. More importantly, the V2 is working well so far. We`ll see how it goes...
    Have you ever tried the Optimum Opti-Coat? To me that was the gold standard for coatings before they went nuts with the price. The Opti seal lasts for a short time and I don`t have experience with pro Opti Coat.
    If this product works like Optimum at a reasonable price I am all in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Have you ever tried the Optimum Opti-Coat? To me that was the gold standard for coatings before they went nuts with the price. The Opti seal lasts for a short time and I don`t have experience with pro Opti Coat.
    If this product works like Optimum at a reasonable price I am all in.
    Opticoat was before my time, have only been messing with this stuff after they moved consumer to Gloss Coat.

Would be interesting to have some personal experience with SiC coating though.

Post Thanks / Like

The Mckees 37 N-914 waterless is the perfect and inexpensive solution. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash in QD/waterless wash dilution is an option that leaves nothing behind to not interfear with the coating behavior. Also Carpro EcH2O is a great one. It does leaves SiO2 and glossenhancers behind but they are made for being compatible with coatings. Dilute it to QD dilution or waterless wash dilution. Both are versitale products to have when you have coating on your car. You have the dedicated QDs of Gyeon Quick Detailer and Carpro Elixir. The N-914 and EcH2O makes them to an awesome value since you dilute them you get a lot of RTU QD solution from them.

Strange thing with the finger prints beeing so noticeble. A thought that comes to mind is nature of the hydrophobic layer of coatings which tries to mimick the Lotus effect you see on the Lotus flowers leaf. This is not so smooth feeling and a grabbyness from it is quite high. Maybe this can do so the finger prints beeing more visual in some way. But any of QDs mentioned will be getting them off with ease I think.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information