Post Thanks / Like

NEW Blackfire Compound

NEW Blackfire Compound

I used this on this https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...n-project.html detail.

The paint was really hammered and needed some heavy duty work. I used some Surfbuf pads I had squirrelled away and was happy with the results.
    The compound worked as advertised and was relatively easy to use. As with most ‘aggressive/heavy’ compounds, they can be somewhat difficult to remove depending on work time as well as a little dusty. This product had a little of both characteristics. Not horrible though.
    It does not have a chemical/solvent smell to it at all. I cannot explain the scent, but it is not chemically at all.
    After use, the paint definitely needed to be polished. The combo of pad/compound left some marring/hazing. It was quickly remedied with a proper polishing stage. This is not advertised as a one-step product anyway, so IMO, this is a moot point. However, I wanted to include it.

Conclusion: This product tackled a vehicle that has been abused and that was in (to me) horrific condition with ease.

Check out the final photos in the above link to see what I’m talking about!

Thanks again Meghan for the opportunity to test these new and very exciting products out!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW Blackfire Compound

Nice review sizzle! I found the same thing with the surbuf pads regarding dusting, haze and removal; though not too bad in the grand scheme. You may find those characteristics improved even more with foam and microfiber pads

Post Thanks / Like

Sizzle Chest- What did you do about the apparent cc failure? Did it look better after the correction/LSPing? I know such stuff can turn out better than some might expect...

What were the ETG readings *after* the correction? Some of those Before readings were in that "sigh...so little to work with..." range that`s getting common these days.

Also curious about the product being tough to remove...is it something that gets worked until it`s dry(ish) or, well...what`s the issue? I always buff stuff off while still wet and it`s just never a problem unless I work it too long.

No, no...not being critical, just curious. That sure turned out nice and I`d rather see a spruced-up Elantra than some under-exercised exotic any day. Nice of you to give it back with a good detail, and I bet it came in handy while you had it...handy to have a, uhm...disposable car...available now and then like when things go sideways, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^Accum: I didn`t touch those areas except for a quick light polish. I didn`t want any additional clear to flake off.

I didn`t take any reading after correction, sorry! (I usually do during the correction on some vehicles, but did not on this one, I think this is the only time that this one will ever be touched)

I think the majority of that was me working it a bit too long, as well as my pad choice-those Surfbuf pads can sometimes `bake` a spot of product...it`s not wonder I haven`t reached for them in years!

LOL, no worries, I enjoy the questions/etc. And yes, it was very nice to have that car around after the storm, it was a life saver! And he was blown away after I delivered it back, didn`t think it could look so good, and that is what I`m after!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yeah...I kinda wondered about the work-time.

Just wondered about the ETG-afters since some of that (oe) clear was *so* thin. On a red car I bet that`d be easy to overthin to the point of fade-to-pink in an area like yours.

I never liked my SurBuffs, but then I didn`t work too hard at it either. Bet mine have been sitting for over a decade.

Bet that`ll be the nicest `09 Elantra in town for a good long while

Post Thanks / Like

^^^I hope it does stay that way!!!! SufBuffs were the go to heavy duty pad back in the day, lol! They shedded like crazy and could haze like no body`s bizniss, but they were the best at the time!
    Glad technology has improved!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    .. SufBuffs were the go to heavy duty pad back in the day, lol! They shedded like crazy and could haze like no body`s bizniss, but they were the best at the time!
    I got one of the first 4" sets that TOL got in stock, but I absolutely *HATED* them! They didn`t even correct all that great compared to some of my other options (this was via Cyclo using the Rocks-in-Bottle products of the time). Just one of those things that never worked right for me and after [messing] up a few panels I simply quit trying with `em.

Thread Information