Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gyeon CanCoat

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon CanCoat

What to say regarding can coat except “Where ya been all my life?” What an incredibly easy and effective product to use. The look and feel of the surface after application is very, very nice and the application takes about a whole 10 minutes, no runs, no streaks, no errors.

Water behavior, appearance and self-cleaning are on par with a ‘full fledged’ coating product and in the right situation, a product like this might even be a preferred solution for a vehicle/owner who is somewhat less OCD-ish or unwilling to invest the time and cost in a full correction/coating job for their vehicle. Maintained via wash with Gyeon Bathe+ on a somewhat regular basis, or post-wash with Gyeon WetCoat and I’ll bet the longevity exceeds the claimed 6 months. Add Gyeon Cure on occasion and it’ll likely stretch longer according to some accounts I’ve read.

I applied panel by panel by spritzing a Gyeon PolishWipe towel with 2-4 shots of CanCoat, going over panel in a somewhat regular motion of up/down then side-to-side to insure complete coverage then buffing the entire area with an Esoteric Ultra Premium Microfiber towel. For me, it was easier than using a quick detailer as it wiped clean quite easily, leaving no streaks but rather a clean, shiny, slick surface with that desirable ‘coating look’ to it. Waited 24 hours and then tossed a 32oz cup of water at the hood which beaded nicely before gravity took over and they rolled off the panel. Leftover beads that gravity had ignored wiped cleanly off, leaving a great finish. Looking forward to some rain so I can pull it outside and watch it work.

I had CanCoat sitting unused on my shelf for the last 6 months, never really sure when/what to use it for. In this case I had a bright red Ford Ranger than I had prepped and applied Gyeon Mohs to back in February of 2017. Being a fleet vehicle it had been sitting outside 24/7 since then, had never been washed or received any attention outside of an occasional shower by Mother Nature. Although the truck was still staying cleaner than many other vehicles in our fleet that I had coated (with a variety of things) it’s had lost that ‘coating feel’ to it that Mohs & Cure brings to a surface. I probably could have brought it back with merely Cure but I wanted to finally give CanCoat a try.

With the mentality of ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’ I foamed the truck with Gyeon Foam at 1:5 dilution using the MTM PF22 Cannon/SG35 spray gun setup, rinsed it, gave it and application of Sonax Fallout Cleaner, rinsed, washed with Gyeon Bathe, dried, wiped down with Gyeon Prep and then snatched up the CanCoat. Having never used it before the initial panels I did with sort of a ‘coating mentality’ during application, slow and deliberate. By the end of the truck I realized the flexibility of application with the CanCoat allowed for a less concentrated approach to application, hence one of its benefits methinks. A few spritzes on application towel, back and forth, up and down, buff with second towel to insure full removal of any excess; I really don’t think it could get any easier.

Pondering what situations CanCoat would be ideal for (in addition to topping a Mohs or Prime application which I have heard adds some nice gloss and durability), I go back to when I was a bit less OCD-ish and less knowledgeable about our cars appearance and protection. Back in 2004 when we bought our new, black Corvette a certain ‘Z sealant’ was all the rage among Corvette owners. It provided a nice look with somewhat decent longevity but in the end, offered little protection from water spotting and other environmental contamination; despite numerous applications over the years, usually in Spring after claying and then once or twice the rest of the season, we were left with etched water spots in the paint. Additionally, the self-cleaning properties of the sealant were pretty much nonexistent. Had I used CanCoat instead (if it would have been available), perhaps 2 or 3 times a year, I’m pretty confident the protection and self-cleaning properties of it would have eliminated the etching of the paint. And I likely would have not needed to wash it as frequently, which would have reduced the buildup of wash-induced marring as well as being far easier and quicker to apply.

I could also see this as being an economical and effective product to use for those who do not wish to spend the time and money prepping and applying more ‘complete’ coating solution. Prep and perhaps a light polish once a year, a CanCoat application or two over that year and you’re getting the protection, self-cleaning and appearance properties of a coating without the more significant investment of time and money a more ‘semi-permanent’ coating would involve, especially for the casual DIY’er.

In fact, given the low cost of CanCoat, I can see it being a viable replacement for a sealant if you like or want the look, feel, protection and self-cleaning properties of a coating. It’s actually much easier to apply than most sealants (for me anyway) as well.

I’m really quite enamored with the ease of use and effectiveness of this product; it’s just so very handy to have around that I’ll likely keep a bottle on the shelf for quick use in the situations that warrant it. Will be interesting to see how it does going forward and it’s an easy way to ‘wow’ people with minimal effort and cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon CanCoat

Nicely done...
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. How would you compare this to something like Kamikaze Overcoat? I`m guessing this would/should give longer lasting protection but how does it compare in terms of appearance, self-cleaning abilities, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, please keep this thread update with how well it works out for you. I too had the exact same issues with Zaino, especially water spotting. It was very frustrating to watch your paint get wrecked while other vehicles with NOTHING on their paint did better!

I`ve since moved on to Collinite and FK1000P for sealants, sometimes Megs Ultimate. I found that I get that classic Zaino look from FK1000P topped with Z6 and no water spots or etching.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Budget. I`ve always wondered if Can Coat is a coating, or a coating maintenance product. I`ve used it twice to maintain and refresh a coating, but I think I`ll try it as a stand-alone on my wife`s car and maintain with Cure.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

CacCoat is good stuff. Have it on my mom`s car after using Q2 Primer Polish on it. It`s been holding up very well for a couple months. Has some aggressive water behavior as well. I just topped it with cure a few weeks ago. This is a nice combo between all these products.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Great review. How would you compare this to something like Kamikaze Overcoat? I`m guessing this would/should give longer lasting protection but how does it compare in terms of appearance, self-cleaning abilities, etc?
    OK...comparing to Kamikaze Overcoat may not be the best question for me as, while I`m currently `enamored` with CanCoat, I`ve been totally and completely infatuated with Overcoat since I first tried it in July 2016...if I could pump Overcoat thru my veins I`m pretty convinced I would be smarter, better looking, more successful and definitely hold up better when caught outside in a rainstorm.

That said, I think we`re talking about 2 different `classes` of products when holding CanCoat up to things like Gtechniq C2V3, Gyeon Cure, 22ple VS1 Final coat and Kamikaze Overcoat. Can Coat has a feel (and mfg description) of being somewhere in between a `booster` and a full fledged coating. Application consistency is more of a coating-like feel, thicker and more visible on surface before ya spread it all about a panel. While Kamikaze does say that Overcoat can be used as a stand-alone, I think for sure that`s what Gyeon was thinking when they introduced and began marketing CanCoat. I kinda think of it as a sealant with coating behavior (longevity, protection and water/self-cleaning behavior), if that makes any sense. I think of it as an LSP that can be used as a booster/compliment to a coating as opposed to a booster that can also be used as an LSP.

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Great post Budget. I`ve always wondered if Can Coat is a coating, or a coating maintenance product. I`ve used it twice to maintain and refresh a coating, but I think I`ll try it as a stand-alone on my wife`s car and maintain with Cure.
    I think that`s how Gyeon views it...kinda `coating-lite-and-EZ`.

We`ll have to see how it holds up but for me, application of CanCoat using the method I did is far easier than applying any of the above booster products. I applied the second coat about midnite in my dimly-lit garage without hauling out the supplemental lighting and expected to see some streaking or high spots the next day (which I was actually hoping for to see how easy it would be to buff off) but when the sun came out and I pulled it into the driveway, I found no flaws. So when I`m trying *not* to screw things up I do and when I`m hoping for screwups, I`m left empty.
    Likes trashmanssd, glfnaz, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice review. I still have a bottle of this I have yet to use. Got it on 25% sale back when it was hard for me to say no to anything

I`ve been looking forward to using it but have yet to find the right situation.

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

budget- I don`t know if I missed it in the OP but did the towels crystalize? are they one use and done?

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    budget- I don`t know if I missed it in the OP but did the towels crystalize? are they one use and done?
    I don`t know if Budget found the same thing as I did but my applicator hardened after I let it sit overnight when I was done using it. I still have it but the applicator is rough to the touch. I tossed the towels I leveled with.

Here is how the applicator responded to water the following day.

Likes 512detail, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I don`t know if Budget found the same thing as I did but my applicator hardened after I let it sit overnight when I was done using it. I still have it but the applicator is rough to the touch. I tossed the towels I leveled with.

thanks

Brandt K.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guz what applicator did you use? A microfiber applicator or a coating applicator? I sprayed into a MF towel, then buffed with a separate one. I had no issues with the towels, but I did toss both towels into a bucket of rinseless wash solution that I had mixed when I washed the car first.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Post Thanks / Like

nice review. I still have a bottle of this I have yet to use. Got it on 25% sale back when it was hard for me to say no to anything

I`ve been looking forward to using it but have yet to find the right situation.
    Exactly how I ended up with it...snd Gyeon Booster as well...which is now on top of the CanCoat.
    Dunno...the towels I used to apply and buff immediately went in washer after application, hot wash. They seemed ok after washing, buffed a lower, painted, inconspicuous `bumperette` rather vigorously after washing to see if they would mark it up and they left no mark.

They are still now relegated to doorjamb or wheel duty but they seem ok.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Guz what applicator did you use? A microfiber applicator or a coating applicator? I sprayed into a MF towel, then buffed with a separate one. I had no issues with the towels, but I did toss both towels into a bucket of rinseless wash solution that I had mixed when I washed the car first.
    It`s a standard microfiber applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s an awesome product for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information