Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gyeon CanCoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon CanCoat

Here is a beading pic 10.5 months since application. This is the roof after a small rain shower. Car hasn`t been washed in 2weeks.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    budget- I don`t know if I missed it in the OP but did the towels crystalize? are they one use and done?
    Happened across a towel this week that I forgot about after using with CanCoat, a Gyeon Polish Wipe. While not crystallized, but much like the Guz mentioned they definately have a rough feel after being used with CanCoat and then left to dry.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Review!!! How many applications do you think you can get out of one can??
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Nice Review!!! How many applications do you think you can get out of one can??
    Essentially 2 coats on about 4 very large vehicles with a bit leftover.
    Thanks pwaug thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budgetplan - As always, thank you for your top shelf write ups. You’re seriously an invaluable wealth of info when it comes to all the coating options out there.

Crazy to see the start date for this thread is, as it outs how long Cancoat’s been on my radar as a gotta-try product. Finally going to give it a try on my friend’s summer fun car as I think it’ll be a good match for him.

Few (dumb) questions -

If it was going to be the sole LSP, 2 costs are the way to go, right? How long between coats? Might have to send him home with some N-914 and instructions for how to apply the second coat.

Applicator wise - I saw Guz used a Microfiber applicator (which I don’t have on hand), otherwise would the towel that comes in the kit be fine? Or is that one better for buffing it off? Other stupid question - would you wash that towel before using it?

Are there any surfaces that Cancoat doesn’t work well on other than windshields? The car is a ‘96 M3, so it has the black textured trim to deal with. Was thinking of maybe just using WETS on that. It’s also got aftermarket fiberglass fender flares, haven’t decided what would be best for those yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    If it was going to be the sole LSP, 2 costs are the way to go, right? How long between coats? Might have to send him home with some N-914 and instructions for how to apply the second coat.
    I`ve generally waited an hour or 2 between coats.

Applicator wise - I saw Guz used a Microfiber applicator (which I don’t have on hand), otherwise would the towel that comes in the kit be fine? Or is that one better for buffing it off? Other stupid question - would you wash that towel before using it?
    I`ve always used a shorter nap towel to apply, something like a Gyeon PolishWipe, I think that may be something like a 370 GSM and then a slightly plusher towel like a Gyeon SoftWipe or such for a last buff. I always wash all towels before using. Never used the included towel.

Are there any surfaces that Cancoat doesn’t work well on other than windshields? The car is a ‘96 M3, so it has the black textured trim to deal with. Was thinking of maybe just using WETS on that. It’s also got aftermarket fiberglass fender flares, haven’t decided what would be best for those yet.
    I`ve wiped CanCoat over all surfaces except for glass and it`s done nicely. Wonder how it would do on tires? Hmmmm....

Hopefully The Guz will chime in; he`s got more CanCoat experience than I. I just spritz it in a towel and go to town.

Some CanCoat vids:

Autogeek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI7AQ2l7l_g

Esoteric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCC76DIKhE

It`s been a while since I CanCoated something, gonna have to look around for something to slather it on `cuz it`s just so fun to do. After decon, I topped up a 8 month old application of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light with CanCoat last winter, took care of all the shortomings I found with the CSL/C2V3 combo. Kept the richness of the underlying CSL but greatly improved water behavior and self-cleaning.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budgetplan - As always, thank you for your top shelf write ups. You’re seriously an invaluable wealth of info when it comes to all the coating options out there.

Crazy to see the start date for this thread is, as it outs how long Cancoat’s been on my radar as a gotta-try product. Finally going to give it a try on my friend’s summer fun car as I think it’ll be a good match for him.

Few (dumb) questions -

You can use the towel and it would work just fine. I have applied it with a towel and a microfiber applicator. I much prefer the applicator and the reason for that is better control and a more even application. In the end it is personal preference as both methods work.

I used a microfiber towel when I applied it to my brothers Harley and the microfiber applicator on my mom`s car and my uncles FJ. Both methods worked fine.

I always wash any new towels before use. Just a habit.

I have only used it on painted surfaces so I can not comment on other surfaces.

WETS is great for trim.

Here is what Jeff of Gyeon told me about CanCoat and multiple coats.

Hey Mike!

Yes 2 layers of CanCoat 1 hour apart will be totally fine.

Yes Q2 Cure after a few hours of CanCoat should be fine. Go on light to make sure you don`t have any streaks. CanCoat "dries" much faster than something like Mohs so layering and Cure can happen sooner. Minimum time for Cure after Mohs is 4 hours.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll tip my cap to BudgetMan1 and the Guz. Budget got me enamored with cancoat as a long lasting (6-9 month entry level coating). Plus the beading and self cleaning properties are fantastic. The Guz gave me a tip on application because I occasionally got streaks on darker cars. He suggested using the microfiber applicator and then just toss it. It did make the application less finicky. I usually finish the application by doing any smooth trim. Budget did this on one of the pool vans and I was stunned at the pics. Works great. Just toss the rectangular applicator when finished. I do 1 coat and can get 8 mid sized cars from 1 bottle / err....can.
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guz - Thanks! Awesome info.

Feeling silly asking about washing towels - wrote out that post quick when I was finishing lunch. Afterwards, I was thinking - I wash all my other towels first, why wouldn`t I wash that one? Are the applicator pads ok out of the package, or do you wash those too? Liking the idea of going that route.

glfnaz - Thanks for more feedback. The self cleaning feature was one of the big reasons I thought it would be a good fit for my buddy. I`d honestly love to try it on my car or my wife`s as well, but I`ve also got a couple other LSPs on the shelf to try...
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling silly asking about washing towels - wrote out that post quick when I was finishing lunch. Afterwards, I was thinking - I wash all my other towels first, why wouldn`t I wash that one? Are the applicator pads ok out of the package, or do you wash those too? Liking the idea of going that route.

glfnaz - Thanks for more feedback. The self cleaning feature was one of the big reasons I thought it would be a good fit for my buddy. I`d honestly love to try it on my car or my wife`s as well, but I`ve also got a couple other LSPs on the shelf to try...
    I used the microfiber applicators right out of the package.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

You`ll be fine just washing the MF Towels used. The only ones I toss are when applying CanCoat and it`s the application towel, not the buff off towels. Those I simply drop in a bucket of cleaning solution as I rotate to a clean one. The one used for application tends to need tossed but then I only use one during the application of it as they are easily folded to a new clean surface as you work through the various panels. It`s no different than the small suede applicators used to apply regular coatings....the applicator suede gets tossed but not the ones used for removal. Those too can get washed and reused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information