Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees Si02 wash: first use review and observations

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, then maybe you won`t mind my belaboring it a bit more

Not that I`m gonna try changing what I`m doing just to find out about this stuff either!

I find the foam pre-soak hardly does *ANY* functional cleaning/dirt loosening and I only do it to get some extra lubrication mixed in with the dirt and maybe soften that dirt up a bit. I figure any suds/foam just keep it from running off the panels and thus increase its dwell-time, but don`t do any significant cleaning.
    I agree with you on that but I feel like during the dwell/ rinse off process you have that lubrication on the panel so you are potentially not causing marring when taking the pressure washer to a dry surface and potentially loose dirt/ debris is flying across the paint with no lubrication? I definitely have not used any snow foam soap that makes any significant dent in traffic film which I find to be the biggest pain especially on white cars where its baked on for months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, then maybe you won`t mind my belaboring it a bit more

Not that I`m gonna try changing what I`m doing just to find out about this stuff either!

I find the foam pre-soak hardly does *ANY* functional cleaning/dirt loosening and I only do it to get some extra lubrication mixed in with the dirt and maybe soften that dirt up a bit. I figure any suds/foam just keep it from running off the panels and thus increase its dwell-time, but don`t do any significant cleaning.
    If the foam encapsulates any dirt and washes it down the panel, is that not a degree of functional cleaning?

I guess we`d have to operationally define `functional cleaning` in that case.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve seen those reviews by Ron. He let the soap dry and then rinsed with no spotting. What I want to see is, after the rinse, let the rinse water dry and see if it spots..especially on the horizontal panels. If it doesn`t spot, I`m in for a gallon or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I`ve seen those reviews by Ron. He let the soap dry and then rinsed with no spotting. What I want to see is, after the rinse, let the rinse water dry and see if it spots..especially on the horizontal panels. If it doesn`t spot, I`m in for a gallon or two.
    but what does that prove? the ph level or calcium level of the rinse water? id imagine the rinse water would spot

I don`t think Ben is marketing this to work in that manner...

take my car for instance... it sits outside when I work on other people`s cars, it rains on it, I don`t touch it...it water spots...but they wash right off and then I dry the car, so while my car has more protection on it than a bus full of Nuns, it will still water spot because, well.. water...spots.

use DI water to rinse it and that shouldn`t spot

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

at the point of testing whether the rinse water spots or not, I feel that would be more of a test of what LSP you have on the car and have essentially nothing to do with this soap considering you would have already rinsed the soap off the surface

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    If the foam encapsulates any dirt and washes it down the panel, is that not a degree of functional cleaning?
    Yes indeed

I just wonder if it does that to an extent that`s better than it just sitting there dwelling. And IMO we`d have to weigh that against any potential downsides from having "more air, less shampoo/water solution" in use.

I guess we`d have to operationally define `functional cleaning` in that case.
    I think we`re on the same page there...just considering the pros/cons of the various elements from differing viewpoints. And, heh heh..I`d be mighty surprised if we were somehow able to determine which of us is right! IMO it`s just one of those topics were we`ll wonder about it and/but continue doing what works for us

I`m never gonna have anything truly valid come to light since by the time I pressure wash everything *looks* clean anyhow...long before I`ve ever reached for the shampoo.

Still find it an interesting discussion though...
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Over at the Crown Vic forums, somebody was asking about the "wash in sun" and I suggested they check out Autopia....hope they did as it sounds like there are some real developments in shampoos in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like

but what does that prove? the ph level or calcium level of the rinse water? id imagine the rinse water would spot

I don`t think Ben is marketing this to work in that manner...

take my car for instance... it sits outside when I work on other people`s cars, it rains on it, I don`t touch it...it water spots...but they wash right off and then I dry the car, so while my car has more protection on it than a bus full of Nuns, it will still water spot because, well.. water...spots.

use DI water to rinse it and that shouldn`t spot
    The point being, that sometimes when washing in the sun, you don`t get to some panels before they dry and you end up with water spots. Granted a well waxed/sealed/coated car can be removed easily.
    Just wondering if enough of the SIO2 wash solution is left behind to keep the paint from spotting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The point being, that sometimes when washing in the sun, you don`t get to some panels before they dry and you end up with water spots. Granted a well waxed/sealed/coated car can be removed easily.
    Just wondering if enough of the SIO2 wash solution is left behind to keep the paint from spotting.
    I see what you`re saying and I think if you didn`t have a coated vehicle and you used this soap you could probably end up with some water spots if you left water on your vehicle. Possibly even typeI spots.

It`s marketed as a coating shampoo so I`d figure that if you had a coated vehicle and even let the rinse water dry, it would leave a spot but not an etching spot, if that makes any sense.

When I blow dry my car, some of the panels do dry before I get to them but its nothing some spray and wipe or sprayduster doesn`t clean up just fine.

While I like that this soap could be used in the sun I also don`t like the logistics of drying a car after the rinse stage in the sun, which I guess is kind of your concern here.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you`re saying and I think if you didn`t have a coated vehicle and you used this soap you could probably end up with some water spots if you left water on your vehicle. Possibly even typeI spots.

It`s marketed as a coating shampoo so I`d figure that if you had a coated vehicle and even let the rinse water dry, it would leave a spot but not an etching spot, if that makes any sense.

When I blow dry my car, some of the panels do dry before I get to them but its nothing some spray and wipe or sprayduster doesn`t clean up just fine.

While I like that this soap could be used in the sun I also don`t like the logistics of drying a car after the rinse stage in the sun, which I guess is kind of your concern here.
    You got it right. Still hoping someone that has the SIO2 Wash could do that test. Maybe on a well maintained and not so maintained car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information