Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee`s 37 Sio2 Auto Wash | Create A Candy Gloss!

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    So just for transparency... you have no affiliation to McKee`s? Just curious why a member would post reviews of only one brand and watermark all of their photos with said brand name + web address.

If this is just a promo post endorsed by PBMG, great. Just share it as such. I don`t get how it`s a review though.
    Joe runs his shop out of McKee`s 37 HQ and obviously has had great success with the McKee`s line. However, if you don`t see how this is a review you`ve got another problem altogether. I don`t understand peoples` obsession with uncovering a bias and then acting like it`s some incredible finding. His bias/preference doesn`t negate the content of the review; he provided step by step instructions, description of the feel/smell of the soap, put the product`s features(washing in sun) to the test, and documented all of it. That`s a review... and a pretty good one for a soap.

Even if you have to take some of the statements with a grain of salt, you should be able to figure out for yourself if what`s being said is just marketing or actual results. For Joe`s reviews, I usually think it`s legit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    Joe runs his shop out of McKee`s 37 HQ and obviously has had great success with the McKee`s line. However, if you don`t see how this is a review you`ve got another problem altogether. I don`t understand peoples` obsession with uncovering a bias and then acting like it`s some incredible finding. His bias/preference doesn`t negate the content of the review; he provided step by step instructions, description of the feel/smell of the soap, put the product`s features(washing in sun) to the test, and documented all of it. That`s a review... and a pretty good one for a soap.

Even if you have to take some of the statements with a grain of salt, you should be able to figure out for yourself if what`s being said is just marketing or actual results. For Joe`s reviews, I usually think it`s legit.
    I don`t claim it to be "some incredible finding." I call things as I see them.

This is the first forum I`ve ever been on that has "reviews" posted by manufacturers.

Would you eat at a restaurant after the chef posts a raving review about the food? Would you stay at a hotel because its highly rated by its owner? If you think bias doesn`t change the content of a review in any way I don`t know what to tell you...

This is native advertising. If you guy`s are cool with it, cool! Drink up. I think it`s tacky.
    Likes mikejames, MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it immediately as an add. But ok with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if Joe is promoting McKees by working with/for them, I`ve seen enough reviews of McKees products by impartial 3rd parties to know they perform pretty well. Yeah, it may be an ad of sorts, but it wasn`t full of "smoke and mirrors" lighting or camera angles. I mean, cmon, he showed the soap dry on the paint, and how easy it still came off during rinsing. Looks like a solid performing soap to me.

Now Angus just needs to get his hands on it for some sweet gifs in the review.
    Likes Oneheadlite, Ronkh, Angus liked this post
    Thanks Angus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first forum I`ve ever been on that has "reviews" posted by manufacturers.

Would you eat at a restaurant after the chef posts a raving review about the food? Would you stay at a hotel because its highly rated by its owner? If you think bias doesn`t change the content of a review in any way I don`t know what to tell you...

This is native advertising. If you guy`s are cool with it, cool! Drink up. I think it`s tacky.
    Things which I`m sure you already know having been around since 2012, but may not have considered:

1)This forum isn`t free and independent press or news. It`s a detailing forum that was/is for PBMG-branded products(which Bob McKee was chief of until he spun off on his own line) and the products they sell. You should know what you`re getting.

2)The fact that it`s publicly-accessible knowledge that Joe works with McKee`s and that every single picture has the logo brand on it, I would definitely not call that native advertising. Native advertising has usually been presented to advertisers as something that people don`t know is an ad. This is pretty GD obvious that it`s from someone closely affiliated because nobody would go through that amount of work(logos, getting the product in all the shots, using almost all McKee`s products) unless they had a close relationship with that company.

3)Your examples are misguided, IMO. He`s not the manufacturer, the chef, or the owner. The best description of OP to McKee`s 37 would be fanboy, which is not a bad thing, just something you have to be aware of.

4)He gave objective examples of the soap working, so how do you account for bias when something objectively works?

So I guess my bottom line here is: why do you require things to be labeled as an advertisement? Why is the burden on the person presenting the review and not you to do your due dilligence?
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Joe was up front when he made the move to the McKee`s site and changed over to solely their products. Can`t remember if he posted on here, Autogeek, or both; but if I remember right the deal is that he still has his own independent detail business, he just operates it out of the McKee`s space and has switched to using their stuff. Whether he gets compensated for making these videos I`m not sure.

BUT: The caliber of his reviews has (to me,) been the same during his McKee`s time as it was when he was reviewing other brands. JVD, I can totally see where you`re coming from, but like others mentioned, the way he presents the product/process isn`t done to fool you into thinking a garbage product is amazing. It sounds a little sales-y, but I see it more as a "Watch this stuff be awesome" presentation. Nickclark and heisenberg both summed this up well.

Full truth: Do I always click on his review threads? Nope. I know it`ll be a positive review of a McKee`s product, and the biggest thing that keeps me from clicking is simply the fact I have enough other products on the shelf that I need to use up before I even think about replacements. If it`s something new I`m curious about, I`ll absolutely watch to see it well captured in action.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    The best description of OP to McKee`s 37 would be fanboy
    More accurately I think "employee" would be more descriptive. It doesn`t bother me as Joe has good information to share. You just have to recognize the marketing for what it is and make your product purchase decisions based upon your own needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I think Joe was up front when he made the move to the McKee`s site and changed over to solely their products. Can`t remember if he posted on here, Autogeek, or both; but if I remember right the deal is that he still has his own independent detail business, he just operates it out of the McKee`s space and has switched to using their stuff. Whether he gets compensated for making these videos I`m not sure.

BUT: The caliber of his reviews has (to me,) been the same during his McKee`s time as it was when he was reviewing other brands. JVD, I can totally see where you`re coming from, but like others mentioned, the way he presents the product/process isn`t done to fool you into thinking a garbage product is amazing. It sounds a little sales-y, but I see it more as a "Watch this stuff be awesome" presentation. Nickclark and heisenberg both summed this up well.

Full truth: Do I always click on his review threads? Nope. I know it`ll be a positive review of a McKee`s product, and the biggest thing that keeps me from clicking is simply the fact I have enough other products on the shelf that I need to use up before I even think about replacements. If it`s something new I`m curious about, I`ll absolutely watch to see it well captured in action.

This hits the nail on the head from both sides of the fence. I think JVD`s post was stating an honest opinion as opposed to making a vicious attack on Joe. I think Joe`s professional enough to give an honest opinion/review, but he`s also professional enough to accept how someone could perceive the review as JVD did.

I read all of these reviews and make a decision for myself by seeking product reviews outside of this forum, or by sending a personal IM to forum members to ask further questions/advice. I don`t expect a product review watermarked with McKee`s logos to be negative anytime soon, but in most cases, I can glean enough information to determine if I want to spend my hard earned dollars on the product or not.

I joined this forum back when it was still Truth In Detailing. At that time, Blackfire was the Hot Topic and there was a similar air to the forum in regard to Blackfire products. I don`t expect this to amount to anything other than a pillow fight when all is said and done.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should all just be professional enough to decide for ourselves who we want to listen to and why. If we don`t like it, pop that ignore button up and move on. I always say something because a lot of these guys don`t bother engaging in the negativity, but I have no problem doing that lol

Post Thanks / Like

If this is just a promo post endorsed by PBMG, great. Just share it as such. I don`t get how it`s a review though.
    McKee`s 37 is no longer owned by PBMG, as Bob McKee kept the McKee`s 37 line when he sold the business and since McKee`s isn`t related to PBMG anymore I can`t comment on his relationship with McKee`s 37.

All I know is that Joe:
    (1) Works his business out of McKee`s 37`s location.
    (2) He does some killer work and I don`t see anything deceiving in the review itself.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a reason that it`s not uncommon in this industry for well-respected detailers to not only stick to a certain brand, but to represent it as well.

It`s called passion, belief, and smart business.

Earlier this year Joe reached out to me and Bob McKee to take his relationship with McKee`s 37 to the next level (pun intended). Joe has done an outstanding job representing himself and his business on his YouTube Channel, Detailed Image`s "Ask a Pro" Blog, Autogeek Forum, and now Autopia.org. It has taken video after video, article after article, and detail after detail to have the opportunity that Joe has with McKee`s 37.

Passion.

Official press release below:

Joe Metlow of Next Level Detailing has moved his operation to McKee’s 37 Headquarters in Stuart, Florida! Joe has been a professional detailer for over 10 years. He has dozens of detailing reviews, articles, and videos to his name. Joe Metlow and Next Level Detailing is a respected name in the detailing industry. Joe has participated in numerous episodes of Autogeek’s Competition Ready, where he originally became acquainted with the McKee’s 37 line working alongside Mike Phillips and his team of detailing artisans.This is the opportunity of a lifetime….said Metlow. I’m blessed to have my shop located at McKee’s 37 headquarters. This is a perfect fit, because ever since I discovered the product line I’ve been a huge fan! Fast Compound…Xtreme Iron Remover…Paint Coating – all amazing products that I love and use on a daily basis! I immediately formed a spiritual connection with Bob McKee the first time we met. Again, I’m so blessed to have this opportunity.
    Next Level Detailing is open for business.

Contact Joe Metlow at 844-852-5300 or 772-708-7289 to make an appointment to have your vehicle detailed today.
    Likes Angus, nickclark08, Ronkh, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Would you want to eat/stay at a place where the people didn`t care ????

IMHO - If people don`t care about their product or service, I wouldn`t want to be a customer of that business...
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Oneheadlite, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno...some days I think it would be better if Al Gore had never invented the Internet.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you, guys. Gonna keep this short.

Everyone is making valid points.

I`ll just leave you with this... What are the top results you see? Is the average consumer going to make the connection like a lot of you have?

LMGTFY

Post Thanks / Like

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by budgetplan1 View Post
    i dunno...some days i think it would be better if al gore had never invented the internet.

Sent from my sm-g930t using tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information